Show Cause Notices v2.0 sent out by ASADA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but say if ASADA bans the players for even 1 match or 3 maches or 3 months... the teams that play them during this time period will greatly benefit for percentage points on the ladder compared to teams that play them after the ban of most of their players is up... Cooney and the reserves players aint gonna cut it vs other AFL sides.

Yet but say the team won a flag on the back of PEDs is that fair to the SEVENTEEN other teams?

or god forbid a player taking PEDS won a brownlow or something?

I wonder whether Alavi's 7:30 interview will get a run at the tribunal:

LOUISE MILLIGAN: So to this day, you don't know really what was in those vials.
NIMA ALAVI: No, I don't.
LOUISE MILLIGAN: And you don't know whether they went to Essendon.
NIMA ALAVI: I don't, no.

Alavi, a compounding pharmacist, didn't know what he was making?

How ******* stupid do you think we are?

Are you stating that as a definitive fact? GG has been reprimanded by a moderator for that sort of posting.

Again, no he wasnt reprimanded for that, and in any case it wasn't a reprimand. It was a query regarding being definitive about something he has no way of knowing. But keep trying to blow it out of proportion.

I suspect you can compound with knowledge as long as you know the source ingredients, but you're assuming you have verified the source ingredients to begin with, right?
Would you, even not being a chemist, take some unknown ingredients and mix them up? Would you not think that you were taking a risk and actually making something illegal, like crack or some other illicit drug? And that maybe you could be caught and go to jail? Maybe you were preparing a suicide potion?

I know I wouldn't and I'm not even a pharmacist. A proper pharmacist could be prosecuted even if he wasn't making illicit drugs.

Get the idea now why your theory is so ridiculous?

I suspect you can compound with knowledge as long as you know the source ingredients, but you're assuming you have verified the source ingredients to begin with, right?
So he thought he was making something bit may have been making something else because the ingredients weren't what he thought he was using???

There is grasping at straws and then there is this....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just deferring to a person who I believe has knowledge of how this works - I have no knowledge of the process, thus no relevant opinion.

Ancient Tiger - I think this one is for you.
It is very unusual for a pharmacist not to know the type of ingredients they are compounding. Certain substances can precipitate out of solution if mixed with the wrong diluent at the wrong pH.
Having said that, it is not impossible and it depends on why they are compounding in the first place. Often it is to adjust concentrations and thus drug amounts. Other times they may wish to combine drugs.
In this situation, Alavi was most likely given the raw materials and had to make batches of injectable drug at the desired dosage. Theoretically he would only need to know the absolute amount of drug he had and the dilution that would require it to achieve the desired concentration. However, not knowing the drug he had would be unlikely as these pharmacists usually want to make sure that everything is anticipated when mixing or diluting the raw ingredients. Of course when dealing with injectable drugs, this must be done in a sterile environment.

So to answer your question, it is possible as long as you know drug amounts, but to know that you almost always want to know how much of what! It's pretty unusual to get a drug delivered that says 20mg of drug X, please make up 50 vials of 400mcg of drug X. Pharmacists would always insist they know what substance they are dealing with. So it is most likely that Alavi is not telling the truth. That is the way I see it.....

Pretty unwise to undertake any sort of chemical compounding without understanding what the end result will be.

e.g. Fe2O3 + 2 Al → 2 Fe + Al2O3

You wouldn't want to be in the same room when you made that 'unknown'.

It is very unusual for a pharmacist not to know the type of ingredients they are compounding. Certain substances can precipitate out of solution if mixed with the wrong diluent at the wrong pH.
Having said that, it is not impossible and it depends on why they are compounding in the first place. Often it is to adjust concentrations and thus drug amounts. Other times they may wish to combine drugs.
In this situation, Alavi was most likely given the raw materials and had to make batches of injectable drug at the desired dosage. Theoretically he would only need to know the absolute amount of drug he had and the dilution that would require it to achieve the desired concentration. However, not knowing the drug he had would be unlikely as these pharmacists usually want to make sure that everything is anticipated when mixing or diluting the raw ingredients. Of course when dealing with injectable drugs, this must be done in a sterile environment.

So to answer your question, it is possible as long as you know drug amounts, but to know that you almost always want to know how much of what! It's pretty unusual to get a drug delivered that says 20mg of drug X, please make up 50 vials of 400mcg of drug X. Pharmacists would always insist they know what substance they are dealing with. So it is most likely that Alavi is not telling the truth. That is the way I see it.....
Maybe Alavi went 'rogue' and all Frankenstein like. But then again, too much paperwork to explain the consequences

Pretty unwise to undertake any sort of chemical compounding without understanding what the end result will be.

e.g. Fe2O3 + 2 Al → 2 Fe + Al2O3

You wouldn't want to be in the same room when you made that 'unknown'.

Its been about 100 years since I did any chem but I'm guessing that one goes bang?

Imagine trying to compound something that releases chlorine gas or fluorine gas. Really can't see anybody with a clue mixing a couple of unknowns together on spec.

Thank you. I wonder if this is robbing Peter to pay Paul in the sense that Alavi plausibly saying that he didn't know what he was compounding could create the necessary doubt for the anti-doping case(s) to fall over, but in turn greatly magnify a penalty from the WorkCover investigation.

Alavi is between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't want to incriminate himself, doesn't want to incriminate the players. You can read into that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back