List Mgmt. 2014 List Management thread - 10 changes to the senior list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point though. He can shop around as a DFA if he wants, and if someone takes him good luck. Most likely, nobody does and we re-rookie him.

I like his chances a little more but it's hypothetical admittedly.

I don't think the scenario of rookieing him before someone else does is as set in stone either for a few reasons but I'm not saying it can't happen.

Interesting he is still in limbo at this time.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting that the article about Blease and Strauss specifically mentions Harmes being given another rookie contract.

Meanwhile, midfielder James Harmes has been given a second-year on Melbourne’s rookie list.

Harmes, who was selected at No.2 in last year’s NAB AFL Rookie Draft, showed good progression for Casey in the VFL in 2014.

Is this a signal that Georgiou and King may be in trouble, or am I reading too much into it?

Interesting that the article about Blease and Strauss specifically mentions Harmes being given another rookie contract.

Is this a signal that Georgiou and King may be in trouble, or am I reading too much into it?

Reading too much

So assuming we had to delist 2 contracted players (and re-rookie as per contractual obligation if nobody else takes them), who would it be?

Evans is a name which gets tossed up.

Who else?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If grimes or Jetta get injured terlich is still the next in line small defender unless toumpas has a massive pre season

Bail is still our number 1 pressure player and Matt jones out hardest outside runner , They might not play 22 games but they will play

As a side people go back and watch the essendon Melbourne game and see how hard jones and bail worked in that game compared to Vince, viney, Tyson and watts in the first half

How incredibly hard Bail worked for his 12 touches and single 1%er? As many as Jack Watts.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So assuming we had to delist 2 contracted players (and re-rookie as per contractual obligation if nobody else takes them), who would it be?

Who else?

Bail and Jones according to these guys

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Who else?

Has to be Evans and McKenzie doesn't it?

At least Bail and Jones were in our senior side last year.

Terlich may be a possibility now that we have Frost and Lumumba I guess.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I said watch the game not check stats and guess

You're claiming the bloke is our "most important pressure player". What's that based off if not stats? Opinion?

So he runs around and tries a lot. Good for him.

Fair enough. Wouldn't shock me if King goes though.

We'll need to hold him for 6 more years before he's ready for an AFL game - and that doesn't seem to be the way it's done with ruckmen these days.

Yeah...but at the same time you still find project bigs on most AFL lists. It's more that some teams have been lucky - Geelong with Blicavs, Freo with Hannath. I don't have an issue with King in a rookie slot cooking away.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah...but at the same time you still find project bigs on most AFL lists. It's more that some teams have been lucky - Geelong with Blicavs, Freo with Hannath. I don't have an issue with King in a rookie slot cooking away.

You'd not want to spend 6 years working out he's not up to it though. Spots are so valuable now.

But yeh I'm ok with him there for a few more years as well.

Has to be Evans and McKenzie doesn't it?

At least Bail and Jones were in our senior side last year.

Terlich may be a possibility now that we have Frost and Lumumba I guess.

McKenzie certainly has gone backwards and is a worthy candidate.

It would be pretty harsh to bone Jones or Bail since they at least have a crack and provide depth over 23 weeks. Equally I don't think it would be Terlich, Roos has tried to enforce a positive message with him, boning him undoes all that.

Whoever it is probably gets LTI promoted for Trenners either way.

You'd not want to spend 6 years working out he's not up to it though. Spots are so valuable now.

But yeh I'm ok with him there for a few more years as well.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But it's not like we have a ruck issue. Its a rookie list spot. And to be honest, I like having a ruckman there in the event of absolute desperation.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
McKenzie certainly has gone backwards and is a worthy candidate.

It would be pretty harsh to bone Jones or Bail since they at least have a crack and provide depth over 23 weeks. Equally I don't think it would be Terlich, Roos has tried to enforce a positive message with him, boning him undoes all that.

Whoever it is probably gets LTI promoted for Trenners either way.

We have to cut 2 more IMO. That means we will have picks 2,3,40,42(Stretch), Jetta(upgrade) and #2 PSD.

I'd keep the second pick in the PSD, just in case someone of worth is let go or leaves a club.

I'd let Evans go. It would be a toss up between Tappy and McKenzie for the other spot. Tappy has more upside IMO, so I'd be keen to keep him.

I'd keep Georgiou as a rookie and let King go, which frees up a spot for Evans as a rookie(which I think we have to do if no one picks him up). Chances are he or Harmes will be elevated to the senior list once Trengove gets put to LTI list.

Who are our rookies??? Is there any chance we could let both McKenzie and Evans go, and pick them both up as rookies?? McKenzie is loved by all the players. Has won best clubman a couple of times. Would hate to lose him completely.

Fair enough. Wouldn't shock me if King goes though.

We'll need to hold him for 6 more years before he's ready for an AFL game - and that doesn't seem to be the way it's done with ruckmen these days.

Personally I think Georgiou is done, Frost and Lumumba puts him further back in the que and having a fit Garland does too.

He's a state league player and an honest trier (and I don't want to come off as harsh because you have to respect guys who get there by hard work) but he's not good enough too persist with, at his height he isn't good enough with the ball.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
You don't cut guys who play the majority of the games in a season

You cut guys who aren't playing , then you replace the guys who are playing 20 games but not well enough

Bail terlich and Matt jones will all play a lot next year but the plan is that by the end of the year guys will have stepped infront of them

You just cut people because they aren't Nathan jones because then we are back in the spot where our draftees just walk into the seniors without any effort

Paul Roos May hate bail , but until someone else works as hard as him he ain't going anywhere

I'm not doubting his work ethic, I'm doubting his ability to play AFL at a competent level! If we have the worst list in the AFL that has been weakened further through the loss of our best defender and our best forward, I can't see the sense in keeping also-rans like Bail and Terlich. I'd be much happier to replace them both with a couple of the better 20-23yo ready mades from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL/DFAs who will likely already be at the level of Bail and Terlich with the possibility of being better, than persist with what we already know is substandard.
At the end of the day, it's a moot point as both Bail and Terlich are signed for next year. Hopefully they aren't required much.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're claiming the bloke is our "most important pressure player". What's that based off if not stats? Opinion?

So he runs around and tries a lot. Good for him.

Well paul Roos agrees because he didn't play 20 games based on his kicking

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm not doubting his work ethic, I'm doubting his ability to play AFL at a competent level! If we have the worst list in the AFL that has been weakened further through the loss of our best defender and our best forward, I can't see the sense in keeping also-rans like Bail and Terlich. I'd be much happier to replace them both with a couple of the better 20-23yo ready mades from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL/DFAs who will likely already be at the level of Bail and Terlich with the possibility of being better, than persist with what we already know is substandard.
At the end of the day, it's a moot point as both Bail and Terlich are signed for next year. Hopefully they aren't required much.

Dear god man

Bail -QAFL
Magner- VFL
Georgiou-SANFL
jones - VFL
Terlich- WAFL

That's the player we are goin to get , why delist them and replace them with players who we have to reteach the plan to

Some of you guys view of footy is so simplistic , isn't 20 years old and a top 10 draft pick so must dump for someone else

Dear god man

Bail -QAFL
Magner- VFL
Georgiou-SANFL
jones - VFL
Terlich- WAFL

That's the player we are goin to get , why delist them and replace them with players who we have to reteach the plan to

Some of you guys view of footy is so simplistic , isn't 20 years old and a top 10 draft pick so must dump for someone else
Exactly, these guys are the best we'll find at state level.

Where is Valenti these days?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Dear god man

Bail -QAFL
Magner- VFL
Georgiou-SANFL
jones - VFL
Terlich- WAFL

You are close. It's actually mid twenties and not AFL standard so must drop for someone else.

Anyway, this is going in circles. You think Bail is worthwhile, I don't. Job done.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Dear god man

Bail -QAFL
Magner- VFL
Georgiou-SANFL
jones - VFL
Terlich- WAFL

Quite ironic coming from a guy who the only thing you can come up for these guys is "but they work hard".

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You are close. It's actually mid twenties and not AFL standard so must drop for someone else.

Anyway, this is going in circles. You think Bail is worthwhile, I don't. Job done.

Quite ironic coming from a guy who the only thing you can come up for these guys is "but they work hard".

So according to you blokes we should delist Bail, Jones, McKenzie, Tapscott and Evans this year, and use picks 53, 80, 97 and PSD2.

And then tell me what we do next year? Cross retires perhaps? Then what??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back