News PAFC & CHINA - The Celestial Frontier

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 40 or so years , since Asian imigration really got going , theres been heaps of these kids born here that one would have expected to join the Aussie rules playing ranks , but alas hasn't and won't happen unfortunatley . The soccer mob rave on about the growth in their sport localy , the major growth in that sport is a massive influx of girls paticipating , and a lot can be explained as , well ... a change in demographics .

Tell you what, they're writing all the football computer games and apps you're using.

And if they direct that money into Port Adelaide, well all I can say is thank you very much.

Huge opportunities here to get China watching AFL though. Honestly we need to get Mandarin and Cantonese speaking people doing commentary on our games and stream it to China over the net for free.

Here in Canada the CBC and the NHL teamed up to do 'Hockey Night in Canada', the flagship Saturday night hockey double header show, in Punjabi on its own dedicated channel.

Huge opportunities here to get China watching AFL though. Honestly we need to get Mandarin and Cantonese speaking people doing commentary on our games and stream it to China over the net for free.

Here in Canada the CBC and the NHL teamed up to do 'Hockey Night in Canada', the flagship Saturday night hockey double header show, in Punjabi on its own dedicated channel.

Don Cherry speaking Punjabi would be fun to see and hear. The AFL has non english language broadcasts . IT started in 2013 as part of NAB's footyfied campaign.pretty sure if you go to the afl website on game day and pick a game - some games you can listen to in a foreign language. Have seen a link to Cantonese and one to Spanish broadcasts.

If you watch the video posted on the previous page and listen to what KT says in the last 30 seconds, you can see Port have started doing the heavy lifting in China for the AFL. We are used to doing the heavy lifting for SA footy.

Don Cherry speaking Punjabi would be fun to see and hear. The AFL has non english language broadcasts . IT started in 2013 as part of NAB's footyfied campaign.pretty sure if you go to the afl website on game day and pick a game - some games you can listen to in a foreign language. Have seen a link to Cantonese and one to Spanish broadcasts.

If you watch the video posted on the previous page and listen to what KT says in the last 30 seconds, you can see Port have started doing the heavy lifting in China for the AFL. We are used to doing the heavy lifting for SA footy.

A little Don goes a very long way. He's 80 and still dribbling on.

I'll see what I can do in Cantonese.... :p

Also ab56452001, I've emailed Port vision of one of my games collecting 13 touches in C grade ammos... Yet to receive a reply yet* :D

*I didn't really

Further to my post above ... I have just taken note of the Brand SA / Brand Adelaide logo on the backboard during the Ken & Vossy presser. Checking back through earlier PTV files, I see it's been there for a couple of months, sharing space with EA, Renault and Foodbank. The Club website, however, shows Brand SA (SA Govt.) as only a third-tier sponsor. Perhaps they've upped their level of support for PAFC.
Whatever ...
The reason I mention it here is because this new partnership was not in existence before the China Strategy really got going earlier this year; Brand SA was a major financial supporter of the Team China tour.

Further to my post above ... I have just taken note of the Brand SA / Brand Adelaide logo on the backboard during the Ken & Vossy presser. Checking back through earlier PTV files, I see it's been there for a couple of months, sharing space with EA, Renault and Foodbank. The Club website, however, shows Brand SA (SA Govt.) as only a third-tier sponsor. Perhaps they've upped their level of support for PAFC.
Whatever ...
The reason I mention it here is because this new partnership was not in existence before the China Strategy really got going earlier this year; Brand SA was a major financial supporter of the Team China tour.

Interesting. Obviously sponsorship and long term relationships with large companies managed out of China that have secure financial futures and potential growth in Australia is one outcome that Port is aiming to achieve but what other outcomes or by-products is Port aiming to generate from connecting with companies from China? What is Port's vision? I'm asking everybody, not just you, I'm interested in how far Port can stretch this?

Interesting. Obviously sponsorship and long term relationships with large companies managed out of China that have secure financial futures and potential growth in Australia is one outcome that Port is aiming to achieve but what other outcomes or by-products is Port aiming to generate from connecting with companies from China? What is Port's vision? I'm asking everybody, not just you, I'm interested in how far Port can stretch this?

Not just China-based corporates, also SA / national Australian institutions who have their own China ambitions.
PAFC are offering themselves as a promotional conduit in both / either direction/s.
The strategy has already brought in UniSA and the SA Govt. at source.
I, too, am interested in how far we can stretch it, given time, and in how many different directions.

Not just China-based corporates, also SA / national Australian institutions who have their own China ambitions.
PAFC are offering themselves as a promotional conduit in both / either direction/s.
The strategy has already brought in UniSA and the SA Govt. at source.
I, too, am interested in how far we can stretch it, given time, and in how many different directions.

Some big sporting clubs of Europe are balancing on being corporations. Is Port's vision something of this kind? Currently we rely on revenue streams from stadium deals (that we must fight to improve continuously), memberships, and a few nation-wide sponsors. Is there more security out there for our club?

A little Don goes a very long way. He's 80 and still dribbling on.
He needs to go out to pasture. He's past it.

I only just caught up on this stuff. The difficulty with China exposure is that there are so many people that don't speak Mandarin (and especially Cantonese). But it would certainly be a good start if the AFL wants to grow the game into the country!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the 'Advertiser' today. No link as not considered newsworthy enough to be put on 'Adelaide Now' - good thing considering the dumb reference to PAFC connecting with 'soccer' in Hong Kong and the usual closing line re a premiership match in China within two years.

HK-ABA press cutting.jpg

GDAFL Banner.jpg

PAFC's gallant and brilliant sponsorship of Team China for IC14 - which included the Adelaide Oval experience for the tourists - has proved such a hit in South China that the Chinese lads have gone Power-crazy.

The Guangdong AFL (GDAFL) is the feeder competition to the South China AFL in which currently two Chinese teams play.

The GDAFL has just added a fifth team - the Zhujiang Power, translated as PEARL RIVER POWER.

The new team will wear black, white and teal Power kit.

Synergy: the Pearl River flows through Guangdong Province like the Port River flows through the PAFC heartland.

The new GDAFL season starts imminently, as we are into autumn up here.
Photo above is of the banner prepared by the Chinese lads for their competition's first round.

Last edited:
View attachment 89910

PAFC's gallant and brilliant sponsorship of Team China for IC14 - which included the Adelaide Oval experience for the tourists - has proved such a hit in South China that the Chinese lads have gone Power-crazy.

The Guangdong AFL (GDAFL) is the feeder competition to the South China AFL in which currently two Chinese teams play.

The GDAFL has just added a fifth team - the Zhujiang Power, translated as PEARL RIVER POWER.

Synergy: the Pearl River flows through Guangdong Province like the Port River flows through the Power heartland.

The new GDAFL season starts imminently, as we are into autumn up here.
Photo above is of the banner prepared by the Chinese lads for their competition's first round.

We expect detailed match reports and voting Lock!

They better have immediate and continued success :)

We should loan ($$) them players that miss out on the Academy team ;)

Employ Burgess' students to head there and practice their trade, prove their ability to produce fit squads ;)

Send budding young coaches to improve the Chinese players' skills ...

Thinking wildly.

They better have immediate and continued success :)

We should loan ($$) them players that miss out on the Academy team ;)

Employ Burgess' students to head there and practice their trade, prove their ability to produce fit squads ;)

Send budding young coaches to improve the Chinese players' skills ...

Thinking wildly.

No you ain't.

We have to get them into our uniforms. I wonder if we have any outdated kit we can send over, like we did for the Kansas City Power years ago.

According to the press release Lockhart Road provided

We have to get them into our uniforms. I wonder if we have any outdated kit we can send over, like we did for the Kansas City Power years ago.

GDAFL Round 1 d (1024x831).jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back