Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I'm an Australian.... Australian rules football fanatic. I like both rugby codes,
AND I LOVE THE HAKA.
NEVER EVER STOP OR BAN THE HAKA .

Its historical, its warriorship from warrior people, its their culture, any Aussie rugby player that faces the Haka should be honoured to face this brillaint war dance and chant.

These guys are challenging you, and are ready to go to war , your strength is standing and facing it , there strength in doing the Haka and saying you are the enemy and you are in trouble and then performing that way on the field.

I love my Aussie AFL code in fact I'm a fanatic for it.

But you rugby folks, are the toughest meanest warriors ever. From all nations that play that game, there is no where to run on your field.

Perform the Haka you Kiwis and all other nations face it down.

ITS BLOODY BRILLIANT. And its ancient. And bloody frightening . HA ha . never ban it.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC

Probably over the Junior Kiwi v Junior Kangaroo game which got a little bit heated during the haka.

Personally I don't get all the fuss. Nobody gives a hoot when Fiji, Tonga, W Samoa etc do it, but when little old NZ do it suddenly all hell breaks loose.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Probably over the Junior Kiwi v Junior Kangaroo game which got a little bit heated during the haka.

Personally I don't get all the fuss. Nobody gives a hoot when Fiji, Tonga, W Samoa etc do it, but when little old NZ do it suddenly all hell breaks loose.
It's because Ka Mate is truly terrifying.

OldMateMuff

Debutant
Jun 5, 2015
Chaing Mai, Thailand
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hertha BSC, SF Giants
I'm an Australian.... Australian rules football fanatic. I like both rugby codes,
AND I LOVE THE HAKA.
NEVER EVER STOP OR BAN THE HAKA .

Its historical, its warriorship from warrior people, its their culture, any Aussie rugby player that faces the Haka should be honoured to face this brillaint war dance and chant.

These guys are challenging you, and are ready to go to war , your strength is standing and facing it , there strength in doing the Haka and saying you are the enemy and you are in trouble and then performing that way on the field.

I love my Aussie AFL code in fact I'm a fanatic for it.

But you rugby folks, are the toughest meanest warriors ever. From all nations that play that game, there is no where to run on your field.

Perform the Haka you Kiwis and all other nations face it down.

ITS BLOODY BRILLIANT. And its ancient. And bloody frightening . HA ha . never ban it.

yeh! how bloody great is goodes and jetta's version?! there was legitimate fear the nation over!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love the haka. Always great to see kiwis embarrass themselves.

Campo had the best response to it.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
The Haka is a bit pointless and silly - but it's now a part of the fabric of the game and we'd miss it if it disappeared. Byt, really, it's about as relevant as teams running out through giant banners made of tissue paper with 'humourous' ditties written on them.

Helen Wheels

Hustler
10k Posts Richmond Tigers - 2018 Player Sponsor
Jun 5, 2015
Demimonde
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
All this crapola about the haka being a cultural expression is amusing.
It is a war dance and war shout, as performed for thousands of years. Read the Old Testament.
It is designed to intimidate the enemy and turn their bowels to water.
The particular violent tone of the shout is unsettling, both mentally and physically.
It is well-known in karate.
But wouldn't the New Zealanders squeal like little girls if they weren't allowed to do it.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
All this crapola about the haka being a cultural expression is amusing.
It is a war dance and war shout, as performed for thousands of years. Read the Old Testament.
It is designed to intimidate the enemy and turn their bowels to water.
The particular violent tone of the shout is unsettling, both mentally and physically.
It is well-known in karate.
But wouldn't the New Zealanders squeal like little girls if they weren't allowed to do it.
wat

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently Australia used to have its own version but the players hated it. Lucky escape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908–09_Australia_rugby_union_tour_of_Britain

The memory of that war cry provokes anger in me even after all these years ... We were expected to leap up in the air and make foolish gestures which somebody thought Australian natives might have used in similar circumstances and we were give meaningless words which we were to utter savagely during the pantomime ... I refused to lead the wretched caricature of a native corroboree and regularly hid myself among the team, a conscientous objector.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Apparently Australia used to have its own version but the players hated it. Lucky escape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908–09_Australia_rugby_union_tour_of_Britain

The memory of that war cry provokes anger in me even after all these years ... We were expected to leap up in the air and make foolish gestures which somebody thought Australian natives might have used in similar circumstances and we were give meaningless words which we were to utter savagely during the pantomime ... I refused to lead the wretched caricature of a native corroboree and regularly hid myself among the team, a conscientous objector.

Yep, always thought the Haka was a bit silly and seeing people it has no relevance to it doing it prior to playing a fun game ....................

Ooh, sorry!!! Not talking about the Haka, here!!! No, the Haka is (serious voice) 'A Great Part of Our History, Culturally Significant, And Demanding Of Respect'.

The situation is just what it is. Yes, the Haka is silly. yes, the Haka is theatre, and the crowds expect it. Yes, it should remain part of international rugby. But there's no real sensible justification for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back