Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd put him ahead of the likes of Ganguly and D Martyn but not quite in the Ponting, Tendulkar, Kallis, Lara, Dravid, Hayden and Sangakarra class. He probably gets bracketed with the likes of Jayawardene and Shiv in my mind

I'd only have Kallis, Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Yousuf, Hayden, Chanderpaul, Smith, Inzi ahead of him with Clarke, De Villiers and Amla on the way.... it depends how you define the 2000s though. Lara retired in '06, Inzi in '07. 15-20 is probably around the mark, although you could mount an argument for higher.

Can get get someone who can actually make something happen. All Lyon seems to be offering at the moment a throwing a ball 20 odd yards to the other end at 80 clicks.
Who would you reccomend from the shield level

Lyon may not be consistently great, but he is all we have for now until Boyce, Agar, Muirhead or Zampa develop

The frustrating thing with Lyon is he bowls well on Australian pitches, but time and time again on pitches he should be running through sides he fails. O'Keefe has been more dangerous today. It was a bad sign that O'Keefe and Marsh were given a bowl before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For you guys without access to tv, this website contains all deliveries in GIF form

http://cricingif.com/Match

Mods - if I've broken a rule here, let me know and I'll remove it, apologies if that's the case

The frustrating thing with Lyon is he bowls well on Australian pitches, but time and time again on pitches he should be running through sides he fails. O'Keefe has been more dangerous today. It was a bad sign that O'Keefe and Marsh were given a bowl before.

He bowls with a lot of overspin, so on slow pitches (i.e. overseas) that don't have that extra bounce, it takes away a lot of his dismissal methods.

He bowls with a lot of overspin, so on slow pitches (i.e. overseas) that don't have that extra bounce, it takes away a lot of his dismissal methods.

Which is why he needs one that goes the other way, or bowl round the wicket more and create angle.

Younis Khan is an interesting one

7,600 Runs @ 51 reads very impressive and up there with the elite
Take out matches against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and you have

6,700 Runs @ 49.6. Still reads very impressive
Take out matches against Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand

3553 Runs @51. Incredibly still maintains his average against Australia, England, India and South Africa
Which tells us that he is not much of a flat track bully, and has been able to score runs against the best over time

The other thing to look at is scoring per country (as in venue)
Bangladesh - 384 @ 128 (including a 200 not out)
India - 768 @ 76.8
New Zealand - 457 @ 65
Pakistan - 1898 @ 59.3
England - 473 @ 52
UAE - 1335 @ 47
Australia - 259 @ 43
Sri Lanka - 905 @ 41
South Africa - 489 @ 32
West Indies - 211 @ 23

I think it still holds up pretty well, although like most batsmen he takes advantage of dry wickets in the sub continent

Younis Khan is an interesting one

7,600 Runs @ 51 reads very impressive and up there with the elite
Take out matches against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and you have

6,700 Runs @ 49.6. Still reads very impressive
Take out matches against Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand

3553 Runs @51. Incredibly still maintains his average against Australia, England, India and South Africa
Which tells us that he is not much of a flat track bully, and has been able to score runs against the best over time

The other thing to look at is scoring per country
Bangladesh - 384 @ 128 (including a 200 not out)
India - 768 @ 76.8
New Zealand - 457 @ 65
Pakistan - 1898 @ 59.3
England - 473 @ 52
UAE - 1335 @ 47
Australia - 259 @ 43
Sri Lanka - 905 @ 41
South Africa - 489 @ 32
West Indies - 211 @ 23

I think it still holds up pretty well, although like most batsmen he takes advantage of dry wickets in the sub continent

Also has a superb average in 4th innings from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back