Toast Minus 620 and counting

Just a little one, our previous club record for consecutive finals victories was 5.

Even Gerard Healy can tell you that we've won our last 6 finals matches

This is a significant achievement.

There's a few clubs who've won 6 consecutive finals, only Richmond & Essendon have won 7 in a row, and Carlton won 8 in a row (over 100 years ago!)

Be a nice little part of a threepeat if we were to win 3 finals in 2015

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just a little one, our previous club record for consecutive finals victories was 5.

There's a few clubs who've won 6 consecutive finals, only Richmond & Essendon have won 7 in a row, and Carlton won 8 in a row (over 100 years ago!)

When did they achieve this?

When did they achieve this?
Richmond 1973-1975
1973 FS/PF/GF
1974 SS/GF
1975 EF/FS

Essendon 1949-1951
1949 FS/PF/GF
1950 SS/GF
1951 FS/PF

Carlton 1906-1909
1906 SF/GF
1907 SF/GF
1908 SF/GF
1909 SF/FIN*

Carltons wins were in the era of the challenge system. The last match they played would have been a Grand Final if the Swans had won it, but as Carlton won, the Swans had the right to challenge and they reversed the result the next week

How many Finals in a row did the Pies win in the 20s? Dees in the 50s? Lions won 6 in a row but then lost to pies in the 2003 QF ruined that streak.

There's a few teams with 5s and 6s

I think the Dees got a set of 6 in 1939-41, not sure they got more than 5 in a row in the 50s

Pies probably got a 6 in the 20s

Think Carlton got one in the 70s or 80s

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn

How is that possible when you have clubs like Collingwood and Melbourne who have won 3 and 4 flags in a row?

How is that possible when you have clubs like Collingwood and Melbourne who have won 3 and 4 flags in a row?
The Collingwood one is complex because of the minor premiers right to challenge if they were defeated in a final. There was also a drawn final in 1928.

In both 1929 & 1930 they were defeated in a final but won the challenge match.

Essendon beat Melbourne in the semi final in 1957 halting their sequence at 4 wins.

Plenty of teams have lost a final and gone on to win the premiership

Don't forget that in 1988-89 we only played 4 finals while winning back-to-back flags. Under the old final 4 and final 5 systems you could get away with only playing two finals if you finished on top

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers
Richmond 1973-1975
1973 FS/PF/GF
1974 SS/GF
1975 EF/FS

Essendon 1949-1951
1949 FS/PF/GF
1950 SS/GF
1951 FS/PF

Carlton 1906-1909
1906 SF/GF
1907 SF/GF
1908 SF/GF
1909 SF/FIN*

Carltons wins were in the era of the challenge system. The last match they played would have been a Grand Final if the Swans had won it, but as Carlton won, the Swans had the right to challenge and they reversed the result the next week
so $hitney's first flag was a challenge flag?? They're even worse than I thought!! :eek:

so $hitney's first flag was a challenge flag?? They're even worse than I thought!! :eek:

If anyone ever follows Dan26s wonderful thread about the Rankings of the Premiers...

He has South Melbourne 1909 rated as the 37th best premiership... when all the challenge ones are a bit rubbishy really

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers
If anyone ever follows Dan26s wonderful thread about the Rankings of the Premiers...

He has South Melbourne 1909 rated as the 37th best premiership... when all the challenge ones are a bit rubbishy really
Ah yes...Essendrug 2000 the greatest of all time...against Meltank no less!

I would rate 2014 as the all time greatest, even taking my Hawks bias into account (if my biases affected me I'd probably name 61 or 08 as the best due to the emotion of actually winning a flag after being so crap). No coach, tons of injuries, everyone wrote us off, and we went on to thump the minor premiers by a record margin. I'm not talking about the greatest GF, I mean the greatest premiership.

I did try & it's a brave effort to rank them all, but his bias is a big stumbling block for me. It just gives him a chance to play cheerleader with Essendon once every year.

I did try & it's a brave effort to rank them all, but his bias is a big stumbling block for me. It just gives him a chance to play cheerleader with Essendon once every year.

Yes his greatest bias is against the North Melbourne 1999 side.

Coincidentally it's the year he was expecting the Bombers to win the flag

Yes his greatest bias is against the North Melbourne 1999 side.

Coincidentally it's the year he was expecting the Bombers to win the flag
Difficult to win a flag when you can't win the prelim.

I was o/s at the time & it was a big surprise when I'd found out they'd lost.

Istanbul was wonderful that day.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any countdown stats this year?

Next player to debut for us will be player number 900 for Hawthorn.

And the next player to debut for us after playing for another club first, will be the 200th for Hawthorn. There's no one on our current list that can do that though, so maybe next year. Come on Dangerfield, think of the prestige!

By my reckoning Hawthorn has topped 100 points in a game 642 times, to our opposition's 655. We've never been in front (at the start of 80s we were about 150 behind). Last year we did it 14 times more than our opposition. Repeat that and we're in front.
We've levelled this one out at 660 each as of round 3.

Any countdown stats this year?
No, unfortunately. The only one left is the big one - the quest to square the ledger. At present we are -47 and counting so it will be more relevant in 2017.

walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
No, unfortunately. The only one left is the big one - the quest to square the ledger. At present we are -47 and counting so it will be more relevant in 2017.
Optimistic.
If we go 20 - 5 winning the next three flags we would still be behind start of 2018.
The question is can we do it before our inevitable (but hopefully brief) slide down the ladder once our 30+ y/o players are gone.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Plenty of teams have lost a final and gone on to win the premiership

Don't forget that in 1988-89 we only played 4 finals while winning back-to-back flags. Under the old final 4 and final 5 systems you could get away with only playing two finals if you finished on top

Very strong suggestions teams used to tank a game and clean up in the betting, then come out and win anyway

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Optimistic.
If we go 20 - 5 winning the next three flags we would still be behind start of 2018.
The question is can we do it before our inevitable (but hopefully brief) slide down the ladder once our 30+ y/o players are gone.

Maybe replace them with slightly younger 30+ year olds

Chappy, bj, even cooney have provided value since moving on

Back