Status
Not open for further replies.

Armo #20

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we can all agree that we have needs in the midfield (especially on the outside) as well as a key defender and a key forward or two. the problem is we can't sort out all of our needs in one draft let alone in 4 picks.

Do we sort out our midfield (3 out of 4 picks) and grab a key forward or key defender? Do we try and do a bit of both (Petracca plus an outside mid and then a key fwd and defender, (depending on who is available/slides e.g. Marchbank, Goddard, McKenzie etc)?

I would rather go with 3 mids (Petracca plus two) to not only allow our midfield to bat deeper but to fix some of the outside run issues. Let's face it we have very little pace in our midfield. IMO pace is different to spread. We need one of the picks at 21/22 to be a Garlett/Mendaue/Cockatoo - someone who is damn quick. I would want the remaining pick (most likely a second round pick) to be a tall be it a McKenzie as a tall fwd or a key defender like a Goddard or Marchbank. And then another mid in the 3rd round...

It all depends on whether there is a slider like last year with Acres.

November 27th can't come quick enough...

If Dan Markworth's bloody body cooperates then he is exactly that...an electric quick outside mid/wing. If he can have an injury free pre season then he's almost a new recruit, and he fills a role we desperately need.

Armo #20

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we can all agree that we have needs in the midfield (especially on the outside) as well as a key defender and a key forward or two. the problem is we can't sort out all of our needs in one draft let alone in 4 picks.

Do we sort out our midfield (3 out of 4 picks) and grab a key forward or key defender? Do we try and do a bit of both (Petracca plus an outside mid and then a key fwd and defender, (depending on who is available/slides e.g. Marchbank, Goddard, McKenzie etc)?

I would rather go with 3 mids (Petracca plus two) to not only allow our midfield to bat deeper but to fix some of the outside run issues. Let's face it we have very little pace in our midfield. IMO pace is different to spread. We need one of the picks at 21/22 to be a Garlett/Mendaue/Cockatoo - someone who is damn quick. I would want the remaining pick (most likely a second round pick) to be a tall be it a McKenzie as a tall fwd or a key defender like a Goddard or Marchbank. And then another mid in the 3rd round...

It all depends on whether there is a slider like last year with Acres.

November 27th can't come quick enough...

If Dan Markworth's bloody body cooperates then he is exactly that...an electric quick outside mid/wing. If he can have an injury free pre season then he's almost a new recruit, and he fills a role we desperately need.

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Maybe luke beveridge is already doing the role.
The way I see it is Beveridge is doing part of Pelcs role.

Pelcs = Head of Football?
Bevo = Head of Coaching?

So we need someone to be the Head of Admin. Bains? What's a COO role?

The way I see it is Beveridge is doing part of Pelcs role.

Pelcs = Head of Football?
Bevo = Head of Coaching?

So we need someone to be the Head of Admin. Bains? What's a COO role?

Chief operating officer. Pretty generic term. He'll also keep the list management/tpp stuff which is good news

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
image.jpg

Queen - Under Pressure (Official Video) - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras

Exactly.
Yet on the "Pelchen quits" thread people are saying the hard recruitment part is done!

If anything all we've done so far is get young talent in. This year and last year position almost doesn't matter, as there's holes everywhere - we need good prospects and then from 2015/16 onwards can look to fill specific areas.

That said, I don't think you pass up a KP player you like at a pick within the top 30.

In some respects whilst Bruce's lack of settling in a role is frustrating, and Simpkin is not good enough, their flexibility means week to week we have options depending on whether we have a young KPD or KPF deserving of a game.
Could see us picking a KPD and having Bruce down back, White up forward. Then for a week White gets a rest, Bruce swings forward and the KPD rookie gets a run.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
It does look like there could be some really good value in a NB, Blakely, Gore or Bampton around our 21/22 picks though, so it could be a bit of a dilemma.

Wish, like the NFL, we could trade picks on draft day. If we got someone we like at 21 then there were three inside mids left that we weren't that bothered about, it's a great time to trade down a little and still get the player we want.
If also allowed to trade next-seasons picks (again like NFL), that's a way teams get better young talent on the board.

Say taking a 3-pick downgrade this year and still getting who we want at 1, 21 and 25 but it gets us an upgrade of our 4th round pick in 2015 for another club's 3rd round.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Exactly.
Yet on the "Pelchen quits" thread people are saying the hard recruitment part is done!

If anything all we've done so far is get young talent in. This year and last year position almost doesn't matter, as there's holes everywhere - we need good prospects and then from 2015/16 onwards can look to fill specific areas.

I think people are referring to the setting up of the plan and the initial turnover as the hard part and I highly doubt anyone on this board thinks that our list doesn't still need some major improvement. Pelchen completed a large part of his job in setting the direction of the rebuild and starting the process. Now the rest of the task can be completed by others at the club while allowing us to funnel more resources into development.

Of course all we've done is get get young talent in. What else is there to do since we aren't targeting FA's yet and have a young target age?

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Of course all we've done is get get young talent in. What else is there to do since we aren't targeting FA's yet and have a young target age?

More specifically I meant that, for example we didn't go to last year's draft wanting to solve the KPF problem. Likewise we might still not do anything about it this year.

Could come back to bite us actually, since key forwards are generally considered to take a while to develop and so in theory we might end up with a ready list and a KPF or two that aren't fully developed. On the other hand getting in a young KPF and putting them in a team who can't kick it to them probably ain't going to help them a huge deal anyway. And picking up Cameron for example is a short cut without the painstaking development!

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Petracca at #1 thanks, his hands are almost as solid as McCartin and he's a better kick.
Wouldn't surprise me if his hands are even stronger than Paddy's, as they are huge, especially for someone his sort of height. He just clunks contested and overhead marks like they are nothing. Those big hands just envelop the ball, something you can also see when he's holding it, preparing to kick. He is also someone who can pick it up off the ground one handed, like a Kouta, or J Brennan.

If we were to get Petracca at 1 and UBB Reece Mac at 21/22, I'll be thrilled to bits.

McKenzie may not be of Riewoldt standard or McCartin standard, but you don't necessarily need him to be in order to win a flag. Having him as the really solid go-to option long and on the lead and supported by the likes of White, Lee, Bruce, Membrey, Murdoch, Petracca, Billings, and maybe Saad could potentially give us a better overall and more balanced forward line in 5 years time to the one we had in say 2010, when so much of it was reliant on Roo and Milne and to a lesser extent Kosi (who wasn't as good in 2010 as he was in 2009).

There really is a heap to work with with Reece, with his height, serious strength, contested marking, incredible speed for someone that size and leap and you'd think there is also a lot of room for improvement given that he only just came back to footy this year from basketball.

Last edited:

If, IF

that could be problem with our team, in 2015. its all about IF a player can stay uninjured, eg markworth, Lee etc

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
On further reflection, as much as Barrels will be disappointed, I think we will skip Reece.

We've got White, lee, Membrey - all vying for the 2nd /3rd forward role. Why add another?

Reece is not a 2nd/3rd forward.

He is the got-to man for sure.

Perfect result IMO:

Petracca
Cockatoo
McKenzie
McDonald

solves a lot of "list-hole" problems straight away

White, Lee and Membrey hardly shouts premiership forward line to me...

Back in 1997
Chad Rintoul -Shane Ellen- Troy Bond didnt sound like a premiership forward line to me either :(
Get a goal kicking midfield and accurate kicking forward flankers and you dont need an 'elite ' forward line.
The key is to spread the load.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Back in 1997
Chad Rintoul -Shane Ellen- Troy Bond didnt sound like a premiership forward line to me either :(
Get a goal kicking midfield and accurate kicking forward flankers and you dont need an 'elite ' forward line.
The key is to spread the load.

Just because a side won a grand final in 1997 with an average forward line does not mean we will. We need to improve out list all around the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back