Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Vitaldread and Woofer ever been seen together at the same time?? o_O
168173_10150099686203561_3920145_n.jpg

2010 version of me and woofer

Question Bulldogs fans

What do you think of Liam Jones and Casboult setup? Both marking forwards
Will Jones benefit playing along side guys like Menzel, Henderson and Daisy? Feel in a way Jones can show his promise by not being the prime target

Still think Tom Boyd will be a better player than Jones in long term and excellent pick up for Dogs but thinking maybe Bulldogs should have kept Jones and waiting 12 months to get him. Doing that might have allowed dogs keep 6 and poss get 7 from GWS for Griffen and let him develop elsewhere

Question Bulldogs fans

Will Jones benefit playing along side guys like Menzel, Henderson and Daisy? Feel in a way Jones can show his promise by not being the prime target

Still think Tom Boyd will be a better player than Jones in long term and excellent pick up for Dogs but thinking maybe Bulldogs should have left Jones and waiting 12 months to get him
jones didn't want to be at our club

Question Bulldogs fans

Still think Tom Boyd will be a better player than Jones in long term and excellent pick up for Dogs but thinking maybe Bulldogs should have left Jones and waiting 12 months to get him
Jones wanted out for weeks, the Boyd situation changed nothing.

His problem by 2013/14 wasn't the players around him, it was his poor work rate and attitude. If he didn't benefit playing alongside Stringer, Crameri, Dahlhaus and Bontempelli, he's not going to be any better off playing with the names you mentioned.

That said, if he applies himself, he'll be very good value for Carlton. I don't know whether the penny will have dropped for him, though. Had he been delisted, perhaps he'd be stung into action, but he's walked out after receiving plenty of undeserved opportunities and been traded to the club of his choice - and had some pretty silly things to say, too, but he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Good luck to him.

Question Bulldogs fans

Still think Tom Boyd will be a better player than Jones in long term and excellent pick up for Dogs but thinking maybe Bulldogs should have kept Jones and waiting 12 months to get him. Doing that might have allowed dogs keep 6 and poss get 7 from GWS for Griffen and let him develop elsewhere

Jones will be a serviceable player for you guys. Good get for the pick you gave up.

Re Boyd, if we wait then we get into a bidding war next year and probably lose to a bigger club.

We wanted Boyd this year. We targeted him, yes we probably paid overs, but we got our man and now he's a dog for 2015 which means more to the club and supporters than a draft pick.

Probs right hope Jones does well at Blues and Boyd also does well at the Dogs

With Jonesy prepare to ride the rollercoaster. Can do the spectacular and for the next 3 weeks he can stink it up. Shouldn't be any further than 40 metres at goal at any stage of the game and his fitness is very very questionable. With his tank you would be expecting him to be 10 kilos heavier. Thats not the case though and you hope teams don't catch on an put their best defender and leave their 2nd and 3rd talls for your forwards who push up the ground. Will just leave you the same issue it gave us the past 3 seasons.

As for Boydy we had someone of high value walk out of our club directly to the club Boydy was at. Happy to get him now and look him in the bank. Trust me with another season of Jones as the 1st tall forward (which technically he was well behind Stringer and Crameri) would have give us no trade value although once we got Tom I wanted him to stay. Wasn't to be!

Athough Liam doesn't have the mobility to play at CHF and I want/wanted Boyd and Stringer as the deep marking targets so we just had to get someone with the tank to play CHF. Jones isn't that player.

Jones will be a serviceable player for you guys. Good get for the pick you gave up.

Re Boyd, if we wait then we get into a bidding war next year and probably lose to a bigger club.

We wanted Boyd this year. We targeted him, yes we probably paid overs, but we got our man and now he's a dog for 2015 which means more to the club and supporters than a draft pick.

Do you think Liam Jones-Tom Boyd combo would work? Would you like that scenario if trade didn't happen to Blues?

Do you think Liam Jones-Tom Boyd combo would work? Would you like that scenario if trade didn't happen to Blues?

Only if he wanted to be at the club and was willing to improve his work rate and tank.

After 6 or so years his tank is not AFL standard. He would need a HUGE pre-season for it to be that level for round 1 next year.

I still think that Boyd, Stringer and Crameri is a very potent combination for our developing midfield to kick to. Capacity to apply good forward pressure.

I would think it'd be likely Jones would have played well next to Boyd; the same could be said of any forward. If they are not the best forward on the team, they won't get the pressure (Which Jones got being the #1 target for many games). It could be expected that playing the 3rd tall role would be good for Jones...But he has to get himself mentally right. Too many games where he doesn't get a touch for the 1st quarter, which prompts him to basically pack it in for the day. Also his fitness has been mentioned, which is a big issue. So yes, a Boyd-Jones combo would have probably worked. He played reasonably well next to Barry Hall, the last time he was the #2 target. But it's not an issue of ours what could have been with this combo...I'm perfectly content with having Stringer and Crameri as our 2nd and 3rd options. Never been a fan of Jones, but I'll admit if he is to ever make it, it'll be as a 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think it'd be likely Jones would have played well next to Boyd; the same could be said of any forward. If they are not the best forward on the team, they won't get the pressure (Which Jones got being the #1 target for many games). It could be expected that playing the 3rd tall role would be good for Jones...But he has to get himself mentally right. Too many games where he doesn't get a touch for the 1st quarter, which prompts him to basically pack it in for the day. Also his fitness has been mentioned, which is a big issue. So yes, a Boyd-Jones combo would have probably worked. He played reasonably well next to Barry Hall, the last time he was the #2 target. But it's not an issue of ours what could have been with this combo...I'm perfectly content with having Stringer and Crameri as our 2nd and 3rd options. Never been a fan of Jones, but I'll admit if he is to ever make it, it'll be as a 3rd tall.

Thanks was able get good insight from Bulldogs supporters. Hope both Jones and Boyd become successful at their clubs

The "should have kept pick 6 and taken Boyd next off-season" theory makes no sense. Was Boyd going to come for free next season? Would we have picked him up for a 2nd rounder?? While we lost our pick this year, it means we have our first rounder next year, and we don't have to get into a Dutch auction for the kid. Would have been hard for us to get a package together to satisfy gws next off-season, without griffen to make it happen.

Question Bulldogs fans

Jones and casboult in the same forward line will be unadulterated s**t. Put it in perspective: casboult played most of the year and Carlton fans think he showed promise yet he only kicked the same amount of goals as a first year midfielder in bontempelli.

Jones played one good game and then couldn't get a kick against Melbourne. Over the past few years even when he had guys like cooney and griffen in their prime he couldn't kick goals.

He isn't going to become a better player at another s**t side like Carlton. You finished two points above us this year, it's not like he'll be surrounded by good players now.

Will he benefit from being the third tall? Perhaps if he stops running under the ball and dropping uncontested marks. And even so, James frawley is now hawthorn 's 2nd or 3rd defender and he held jones to one hand pass this year so don't expect Liam to fire against good teams. And don't expect him to apply defensive pressure regularly . He will stand around and take about 10 seconds to realise the bloke up on the wing with the ball is his direct opponent.

Can't wait for the first time senile mick gives him a spray too. Wait for the head drop.

As for your Boyd hypotheticals what happens if we leave him at gws and then Carlton offer him the same plus paper bag incentives? Much rather get him now and shed dead weight jones than risk it .

The "should have kept pick 6 and taken Boyd next off-season" theory makes no sense. Was Boyd going to come for free next season? Would we have picked him up for a 2nd rounder?? While we lost our pick this year, it means we have our first rounder next year, and we don't have to get into a Dutch auction for the kid. Would have been hard for us to get a package together to satisfy gws next off-season, without griffen to make it happen.

Exactly.

There's also every chance our pick 6 this season turns into pick 1, 2, 3 next year if you look at our outs v our ins.

Exactly.

There's also every chance our pick 6 this season turns into pick 1, 2, 3 next year if you look at our outs v our ins.
And we get another year of development into him and a chance for him to build chemistry with dal, crameri. Strings, bonti etc.

Reckon Boyd and Dahl are gonna form a great partnership, can just see Boyd acting as his big brother protecting him :p should just chain him to Boyds feet next year. Really do hope he spends the majority of his time forward again, can still send him into the middle to add a bit of a spark every now and then but I want him mostly forward.

The good thing is that Boyd comes to our club with an existing friendship playing U18 TAC footy with some of our young guns.. Will fit right in.

The good thing is that Boyd comes to our club with an existing friendship playing U18 TAC footy with some of our young guns.. Will fit right in.

Agree. The bloke also screams leadership, if his interviews the other day are anything to go by.

Could develop into a Brown-type leader of those boys (I hope).

Agree. The bloke also screams leadership, if his interviews the other day are anything to go by.

Could develop into a Brown-type leader of those boys (I hope).
Leadership has always been his thing and it's not hard to see why. Not just the presser, but for a 19 year old to be able to handle the deal/trade and the stress/pressure he knew would come with it, says a lot. Most 19 year olds would just quietly wait out their contract and look at a trade in 12 months time. He saw an opportunity to get what he wanted and pinned his ears back. Love that attitude.

Jones and casboult in the same forward line will be unadulterated s**t. Put it in perspective: casboult played most of the year and Carlton fans think he showed promise yet he only kicked the same amount of goals as a first year midfielder in bontempelli.

Jones played one good game and then couldn't get a kick against Melbourne. Over the past few years even when he had guys like cooney and griffen in their prime he couldn't kick goals.

He isn't going to become a better player at another s**t side like Carlton. You finished two points above us this year, it's not like he'll be surrounded by good players now.

Will he benefit from being the third tall? Perhaps if he stops running under the ball and dropping uncontested marks. And even so, James frawley is now hawthorn 's 2nd or 3rd defender and he held jones to one hand pass this year so don't expect Liam to fire against good teams. And don't expect him to apply defensive pressure regularly . He will stand around and take about 10 seconds to realise the bloke up on the wing with the ball is his direct opponent.

Can't wait for the first time senile mick gives him a spray too. Wait for the head drop.

As for your Boyd hypotheticals what happens if we leave him at gws and then Carlton offer him the same plus paper bag incentives? Much rather get him now and shed dead weight jones than risk it .

Just been hearing a lot of good wraps on Lism Jones and honestly negative wraps on Boyd

However i still think Boyd good signing and has a lot of upside. I'm excited for your club you managed to get the trade done, not going to make to much on the wraps that were negative regarding Boyd. Hoping Jones and Jason Tutt become good serviceable contributors for the Blues in 2015, I'm having doubts about Tutt but they say has upside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back