Former sportsmen whose credibility has been destroyed by their media careers

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the biggest mistakes St Kilda has made was hiring him as coach and we've made a few.
Would getting rid of Scott Waters be one of them ?

Not trolling. Genuinely interested knowing you are a $ubiaco fan.

Slight troll with the $ubiaco.

Would getting rid of Scott Waters be one of them ?

Not trolling. Genuinely interested knowing you are a $ubiaco fan.

Slight troll with the $ubiaco.

Might've been, wasn't that happy when we sacked Watters tbh, most Saints supporters were happy when we sacked him but I thought he did a pretty good job all things considered and we haven't really improved since he left.

He was an outsider being a WA guy though, St Kilda turn on coaches pretty quick especially outsiders that don't fit into the Saints culture but I still think he's a good coach.

You're welcome to troll with the $ubiaco stuff but I did the hard yards as a kid barracking for Subi in the 80s when we couldn't buy a win. I'm no $ubi bandwagoner.

Last edited:
Might've been, wasn't that happy when we sacked Watters tbh, most Saints supporters were happy when we sacked him but I thought he did he a pretty good job all things considered and we haven't really improved since he left.

He was an outsider being a WA guy though, St Kilda turn on coaches pretty quick especially outsiders that don't fit into the Saints culture but I still think he's a good coach.

You're welcome to troll with the $ubiaco stuff but I did the hard yards as a kid barracking for Subi in the 80s when we couldn't buy a win. I'm no $ubi bandwagoner.
A $ubi supporter of our vintage is no bandwagoner.

I rembember you guys walking around the grounds early '80's taking blanket donations.

james-hird-o.gif

+1 for Craig Foster and Tom Harley.
Not a huge soccer fan but generally stay up to watch EPL and Serie A matches and most A -League.
Whenever I listen to Foster, I want to head butt the TV.
Tom Harley is so incredibly sanctimonious and favours the Geelong style incredibly. He doesn't even try to hide it.
Cameron Ling on the other hand, comes across as an ex Geelong player but very impartial.

On another note, has there ever been a better transition from athlete to commentator than Phil Liggett?

Warnie is very much love hate for me. Some of the stuff he says is interesting or a lighter take on things; but then the s**t he goes one with sometimes, like whenever Johnson is bowling: 'He's sending down zingers with some extra spicy jalepenos on them!' just makes me cringe.

For actual cricket talk Warnie is the best commentator going around to listen to, he would of made a great test captain no doubt about it but you are right when he starts the jokes it goes downhill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude your superior level of knowledge and general being, but Bruce Macavaney was indeed never a renowned sportsman

The thread title says 'former sportsmen" , Bruce Macavaney was a former sportsman. It is slightly unfair that when a poster trumps your sheep friends with a contribution in this thread, you change the rules.

The thread title says 'former sportsmen" , Bruce Macavaney was a former sportsman. It is slightly unfair that when a poster trumps your sheep friends with a contribution in this thread, you change the rules.
playing U17 for woodville is not really considered being a sportsman. OP is clearly refering to elite sportsmen here..

michael slater wins this thread comfortably. idolised him as a kid like i did with the jones boy, both are horrible horrible commentators

Hearing Mark Ricciuto breathe heavily into the microphone while he commentates really annoys me, so I nominate him on that lone.
Also for always calling a mark a catch.

A couple from the VFL coverage:
Rhys Jones, really like his style of commentary, not over the top just really composed in everything he says.
Phil Cleary (told he was a gun VFL player), whilst not the best his passion for the game makes up many of his shortcomings

A couple from SEN:
David Schwartz, thought he was pretty average in front of the camera but love his work on radio
Daniel Harford, one of the few on SEN that I can listen to at length

He would also qualify for credibility destroyed by their coaching career.

Voss could possibly qualify for credibility destroyed both a media and coaching career.

James Hird owns the number one trophy for the latter though.

Danny Frawley and The Chief

thumb.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back