Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eudey

Debutant
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I seen a highlight package of Pickett and was really impressed by the kid and how he moves. Reminded me a lot of Brad Hill.

Now I will admit, I don't know much about this Draft, but I see the need for mids more important at the present. Yes we have an aging defense, but we probably still have one of the best going around in the afl at the moment, and could really hang around for another 1-2 years at the very least. This would allow us to develop our young prospects and see if they will be up to filling the holes once called up.

I believe our biggest issues are forward 50 and midfield pressure.

The ball bounces out of the 50 too fast and easy too easy, and we offer too much space in the midfield. When these issues are combated our defense holds up greatly. But when we fold in these areas and the ball is coming in hard and fast, that's when our back 6 gets exposed. Which really would happen to any defensive unit in the league.

I'd much rather pick up a quality mid this Draft (Pickett for mine) and focus on a KPD for the 2016 pool.

As I've said, I'm not too familiar with the talent on offer, but this is just my opinion based on what I believe we need and from what I've read :)

early in the year, Durdin was being mentioned as a possible top 5 selection in the draft. At 197cm and supremely agile, just unsure he'll be around by the time our pick comes up.
I'm still surprised Durdin isn't being discussed as a possible Top 5 selection.

If he is available at 10 we'd should seriously consider selecting him (as much as I like Blakely and Ahern and Laverde).

I'm falling into line with Pure_Ownage and year of the cat, I'm thinking we'll go for a tall defender now we've released Brown and Hamling.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I don't really have a view on Mitch Robinson as a bloke. I have a fairly low regard for the personalities who play AFL generally, self obsessed, ego maniac, bores, most of them.

However, as a player, I don't think he is the type we have a history of drafting. Bulldozing player, possession gatherer but with poor decision making. So I don't see Wells recruiting that kind of player from another club.

I just don't see it happening. I don't want anyone delisted by another club.

Tkoajd

Debutant
May 19, 2014
I don't really have a view on Mitch Robinson as a bloke. I have a fairly low regard for the personalities who play AFL generally, self obsessed, ego maniac, bores, most of them.

However, as a player, I don't think he is the type we have a history of drafting. Bulldozing player, possession gatherer but with poor decision making. So I don't see Wells recruiting that kind of player from another club.

Its funny how people look at things. i just watch and support football for the team and obviously you take a liking to certain players. But i would never think they are self obsessed ego maniacs. I would say its a bloody hard game to play AFL football and at times these guys would probably hate having to justify everything they do to the media and the like.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm still surprised Durdin isn't being discussed as a possible Top 5 selection.

If he is available at 10 we'd should seriously consider selecting him (as much as I like Blakely and Ahern and Laverde).

I'm falling into line with Pure_Ownage and year of the cat, I'm thinking we'll go for a tall defender now we've released Brown and Hamling.

Yeh, Since it appeared that Durdin was a possibility to fall to us I've changed my mind on my order of preference. It really is back to a "best available" strategy I suppose. To me he is clearly ahead of the others mentioned. If he goes beforehand then I'm more open minded as to who we should take.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Was reported on radio this morning that he is almost certainly off to Brisbane. Moot point now.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Its funny how people look at things. i just watch and support football for the team and obviously you take a liking to certain players. But i would never think they are self obsessed ego maniacs. I would say its a bloody hard game to play AFL football and at times these guys would probably hate having to justify everything they do to the media and the like.

Which is probably why they get hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to play it.

Is it a hard game to play? Yes.
Does it require some personal sacrifice? Yes.

Is it a tough gig overall? No.

Tkoajd

Debutant
May 19, 2014
Which is probably why they get hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to play it.

I reckon it is a tough gig. I'm interested in why you think it isn't. Lots of guys don't make it because of various reasons so it has it levels of difficulty.

Just my opinions anyway.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

Maybe not for the established top 15 or so at each club,after that it reminds me the bad old days standing at the Gate at the Phosphate hoping to get a days work,just to get a start and show your up to the heavy lifting and if you were luck enough to replace a regular who never turned up that day you worked your backside off to try and keep him out, only to be disappointed the next day when he returned and when back to the top of the pecking order leaving you out in the cold again,it can be a tough gig for that group of players.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon it is a tough gig. I'm interested in why you think it isn't. Lots of guys don't make it because of various reasons so it has it levels of difficulty.

Just my opinions anyway.

Because you are in a privileged and pampered environment. You earn money far above what 99% of people your age and qualifications (normally zero) make. You have journalists and the football media so starstruck they'll remain complicit in whatever crimes you commit and keep them quiet. You have a media department at the club to keep the rest of your misdemeanours quiet. If you do transgress, you'll invariably be given a minor slap on the wrist and it's unlikely to affect your employment at the club (unless you are really, really stupid - see Liam Jurrah). You get free medical expenses. You get free interstate travel at least half a dozen times a year, and far more if you're at an interstate club.

So, is it a tough job within the confines of a footy club? Sure, and very, very competitive. But a tough job overall? No.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Can we please setup a poll in here for each draft pick with the following players available for selection:

Pick 10 - Durdin, Goddard, Lever, Ahern, Pickett, Laverde, Blakely Cockatoo, Duggan, Marchbank, Weller

Pick 47 - Lim, Bampton, Gore, Webb, Anderson, D McKenzie, McGuinness, Drummond, Grace, McDonald, Nelson, Daniel, Garlett, Rose, Glenn, Capiron, Markov

Pick 55 - Lim, Bampton, Gore, Webb, Anderson, D McKenzie, McGuinness, Drummond, Grace, McDonald, Nelson, Daniel, Garlett, Rose, Glenn, Capiron, Markov

Pick 60 - Lim, Bampton, Gore, Webb, Anderson, D McKenzie, McGuinness, Drummond, Grace, McDonald, Nelson, Daniel, Garlett, Rose, Glenn, Capiron, Markov

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats are going into the National Draft with their 4 selections (10, 47, 55, 60), with the aim of getting a good mix of players.

The club is still finalising its options for each of the selections.

This is the inside word.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats are going into the National Draft with their 4 selections (10, 47, 55, 60), with the aim of getting a good mix of players.

This is the inside word.

Which would indicate that they definitely plan on picking up a delisted free agent (Blease?), since they currently have another live pick after 60, don't they?

Don't care what your opinions on Robinson are as a player, this kind of commentary just isn't acceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got carded for that kind of talk……

Go Catters

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong

This is the inside word.

Actually those picks don't compromise the need for mature age pick-ups, I think they've been concerned with the lack of available numbers in the 21-26 year bracket, I think this has been a clever draft by Wells and Balme.

CR, about a poll, honestly no clues.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't care what your opinions on Robinson are as a player, this kind of commentary just isn't acceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said, it wasn't....although he's usually better than that, just having one of his little tantrum's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back