Retired Justin Clarke (2011-2016)

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
It's the core/trunk where he'll need to gain strength if he wants to take on the gorillas. Arms are all well and good but the thing that they're attached to is more important.

The armpits. Always use a quality deodorant gents.

edav7

Debutant
Mar 29, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-23_12-58-49.png
    upload_2014-10-23_12-58-49.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 8
Caught sight of him yesterday as I was leaving the physio and he is getting some really thick arms and big shoulders. Waist is pretty slim so it was hard to tell whether he has the core to support it.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think that most Bandwagon's would need two leaders of sorts. There would need to be the driver of the Wagon itself but also the Band Leader. ONe is responsible for ensuring that the bandwagon keeps moving in the right direction the other for ensuring the music eminating from it is suitably inspiring and jovial. I will leave it to knaf and TheBrownDog to allocate these roles between themselves.

Err...why not just have a pilot and co-pilot in honour of Clarke himself? ;)

Clarke looking strong, think he is one of the best young key defenders in the game. Looking forward to watching his development, is it likely he and McStay will be your 1-2 key defenders with Cutler third? Where does Gardiner fit in?

Err...why not just have a pilot and co-pilot in honour of Clarke himself? ;)

Clarke looking strong, think he is one of the best young key defenders in the game. Looking forward to watching his development, is it likely he and McStay will be your 1-2 key defenders with Cutler third? Where does Gardiner fit in?

Andrews appears to be in line for the second tall defender, I think hes seen as the more suited to match the agile ones. Clarke will take the gorillas. Darcy will be the third/Patfulls replacement and McStay could end up being a forward. Cutler would be a back flanker, but may end up being depth more than anything.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Andrews appears to be in line for the second tall defender, I think hes seen as the more suited to match the agile ones. Clarke will take the gorillas. Darcy will be the third/Patfulls replacement and McStay could end up being a forward. Cutler would be a back flanker, but may end up being depth more than anything.

So Clarke would be played closer to goal? What is his aerobic capacity like anyway? I've watched a fair bit of him but it's hard to get a read on these type of things just from watching games. A guy like Trav Cloke, who has years of pre-seasons under his belt, might be matched for size by Clarke but can still move around the ground.

What type of forward would McStay be then? I'd assume Freeman would be the first choice to develop up forward, and then Close 2nd. Assuming you play 2 of Leuenberger, Martin and West, then one will be a resting forward at times.

Interesting times ahead for Brisbane in the KP stocks, good problems to have though! Will lift competition for spots.

So Clarke would be played closer to goal? What is his aerobic capacity like anyway? I've watched a fair bit of him but it's hard to get a read on these type of things just from watching games. A guy like Trav Cloke, who has years of pre-seasons under his belt, might be matched for size by Clarke but can still move around the ground.

What type of forward would McStay be then? I'd assume Freeman would be the first choice to develop up forward, and then Close 2nd. Assuming you play 2 of Leuenberger, Martin and West, then one will be a resting forward at times.

Interesting times ahead for Brisbane in the KP stocks, good problems to have though! Will lift competition for spots.

I see Clarke more the FB and Andrews the CHB myself. As for McStay, I would have him a third tall that can swing forward/back, sort of like what Staker does for us when hes playing. Or we could keep him there like a Gunston type. Freeman and Close, at this stage, are going to be our FF/CHFs for the foreseeable future, dependant on trades next season of course.

Burger+Martin would be our preferred ruck combo, so we could even have McStay swing back when one of them are resting forward and if one goes to the bench he heads forward of the ball for the extra target. Hes shown he has good hands and a keen goal sense.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see Clarke more the FB and Andrews the CHB myself. As for McStay, I would have him a third tall that can swing forward/back, sort of like what Staker does for us when hes playing. Or we could keep him there like a Gunston type. Freeman and Close, at this stage, are going to be our FF/CHFs for the foreseeable future, dependant on trades next season of course.

Burger+Martin would be our preferred ruck combo, so we could even have McStay swing back when one of them are resting forward and if one goes to the bench he heads forward of the ball for the extra target. Hes shown he has good hands and a keen goal sense.

Ok, thanks - starting to get a clearer picture of where your stocks are headed. Your midfield is getting all the hype and the plaudits, but behind the scenes are putting together a seriously talented KP brigade. Won't be upset at all if one of your backs is pushed out due to lack of opportunity behind the rest (considering you have probably 5 blokes who could get a good key role at most clubs in 2+ years) and we snag him!

Baskers

Draftee
Jul 31, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What stats help a "new" AFL follower determine a good defender? Especially for the sides in the bottom of the ladder e.g. Brisbane Lions. The stats of 1% is the only stat that I can see that relates to a defender.

What stats help a "new" AFL follower determine a good defender? Especially for the sides in the bottom of the ladder e.g. Brisbane Lions. The stats of 1% is the only stat that I can see that relates to a defender.
It is not publicly available but intercept marks is a good one. Modern day defenders are expected to win the footy back and not just negate.

Clubs record contests won, lost and drawn which would be interesting to track. Reckon Clarke has a very small number of contests lost given the amount of times the ball enters our defensive zone.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is not publicly available but intercept marks is a good one. Modern day defenders are expected to win the footy back and not just negate.

Clubs record contests won, lost and drawn which would be interesting to track. Reckon Clarke has a very small number of contests lost given the amount of times the ball enters our defensive zone.

Goals kicked on too. Which Clarke actually had the second least for prior to Hawkins giving him a flogging in the last round of 2014.

Intercept marks stat is now available in the herald sun isn't it?

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Good to see that the JC bandwagon is taking on more passengers lately. I reckon he could be in line for a top 5 B & F finish if he can keep going. When Merrett is back he will also be able to peel off his man a little more and do some intercepting. I have also noticed that he is trying to follow the ball up the field much more which is great to see.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Just adding to the JC love: He is currently after five rounds leading the club in time on the ground (95%) and second in the club for disposal efficiency (84.5%) after Daniel Merrett who has played fewer games.

Back