List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one i found interesting that i can confirm we have spoken to is Northern Blues BNF winner Tom Wilson. around 177cm and 80kg. Played as a small forward for the blues rotating through the middle. Elite foot skills, average-good endurance and good in traffic.
If he can get out of this in a hurry then we might have something.
o7kf9j.jpg

What are the thoughts on a draft of:

12: Duggan
33: Menadue/Neal-Bullen
52: Glenn
70: Daniel
88: Miles

Extremely wishful thinking but that would just about be a perfect draft in my eyes.
Would be stoked to get Miles at 88 :p

A team full of same same players will have you finishing top 8 but will never get you to the elite status of top 2-3 teams in the league

When i look through the Richmond line up , I see a very bland team thats full of work horses with good citizens that never really break open games and tear teams apart . Some will argue Martin,Delidio and Jack but in all honesty Lids no longer runs and carries the ball Jack & Dusty are more fowards with Dusty having the ability to do it but isnt a full time mid that dominates for 4 quaters.

The inside foot soldiers are always available later in the draft at our 2nd selection but players with a difference not so much and are always a risk, But to win a flag you need to take a risk to get the players that ignite the team and become the game breakers/changers . There are things i look at when looking at junior players that i like to take notice off and 1 is what is their ceiling and what are there tools/skills and chances of doing it at the top level

Also have a look at the next 3 players at our selection that is there and how they compare to the said player aswell as how these 3 players will compare to the players available at our next pick #33

Cockatoo
Speed - Tick
Endurance -Tick
Size -Tick
Kick - Tick
Leap - Tick
Inside/Out -Tick
Age - Tick (bottom age)
Gun Junior all the way through - Tick

Flaws - Missed 2014 with injury
Needs to learn to take 1st option
Kicking - Can spray but usually due to running speed or distance
accountability for his opponent - This is normal with junior kids that are predominantly attacking players and is usually ironed out in the first 2 years

#12 is early for Cockatoo due to his missed season, But if he hadnt missed this year with injuries he would easily be a top 10 selection and rated along with Pickett,Weller,Duggan,De Goey etc

Christian Patracca 12 months ago was rated as a top 10-15 type player, I seen him play 2 years ago and said to my friends this kid will be a top 3 pick mark my words and he wasnt so convinced as i was and said he was a man child and in 2014 the other players will catchup.
Christian is nearly 10 months older than Nakia - Just think about this

If Nakia was born 2 months later and wasnt in this years draft, Where do you think this kid would rate with another 12 months of development
He would be Dominating . and in 2015 you would need a top 5 selection to pick him up.

Nakia in the Richmond Football Club with 12 months of development under people like Chocco and our development coaches will be dominating VFL towards the end of his 1st year and in 2016 will be well and truly in the startin 22 replacing Chris Newman in the team

Even if Richmond dont select him, I will be watching Nakia's career with interest
I agree with a lot of the above and add, from my recollection, Bontempelli was expected to be a late first round selection until deep into the season or even until the lead up to draft time. He, like Cockatoo was close to the youngest in his draft year. There may be a bit more development in Cockatoo than some other options but we now have the team that it is unlikely out first selection (at 12) would be playing from day 1 anyway. When you have a selection around where we are in the draft, I think it is incumbent to think a little more laterally. We were clearly of the view that the player we could get around 12 would not be markedly better than the player we could pick up at 23, hence the proposed Trengove trade. Further if Cockatoo is now in that 15 to 20 range that he is landing in a lot of drafts, it is becoming less a stretch to take him with 12.

There will of course be some other very solid options we could go at 12, I am just of the view we could go a little more x factor in round 1 with the knowledge there will be other good solid options available in rounds 2 and 3.

Heard we have Blease lined up for pick 12. Was a tough call between him and Cockatoo but we need to boost up the ranga quota with Jacko leaving and the indigenous quota is full with sheds.
Geelong might just pip us after they traded up for pick 10 and have shown interest in Blease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the thoughts on a draft of:

12: Duggan
33: Menadue/Neal-Bullen
52: Glenn
70: Daniel
88: Miles

Extremely wishful thinking but that would just about be a perfect draft in my eyes.
Na that's boring how bout. 12cockatoo.. 33clemsmith. 52ben rioli. 70william rioli. 88miles. Injection of pace excitement , power and grunt.

Well on the bright side one of Robinson and Hunt should be available. And if both are gone there's always Lucas.

I hear Lucas Cook is worth a punt. Surely Christian Howard is too. ;)

I reckon we should take a look at touk miller, Strengths: Leadership, Defensive Acts, Strength, Work Rate, Ball Winning, Acceleration, Contested Ball. got all the strengths we are looking for.

Do you work for Melbourne?

If I did, I wouldn't readily admit it now, would I? ;)

I swear, reading phantom drafts would give me a better clue of who to pick where than those imbeciles.

Between the 2006 draft to 2010 draft, Melbourne's first rounders and top 20 picks (in brackets) were as such:

2006: Frawley
2007: Cale Morton, Jack Grimes.
2008: Jack Watts, Sam Blease (James Strauss)
2009: Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jordan Gysberts (Luke Tappscott)
2010: Lucas Cook

Only 6 of those 11 are on an AFL list, only 4 of them at the Demons. Terrible track record.

If I did, I wouldn't readily admit it now, would I? ;)

I swear, reading phantom drafts would give me a better clue of who to pick where than those imbeciles.

Between the 2006 draft to 2010 draft, Melbourne's first rounders and top 20 picks (in brackets) were as such:

2006: Frawley
2007: Cale Morton, Jack Grimes.
2008: Jack Watts, Sam Blease (James Strauss)
2009: Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jordan Gysberts (Luke Tappscott)
2010: Lucas Cook

Only 6 of those 11 are on an AFL list, only 4 of them at the Demons. Terrible track record.
Compared to us:
2006: Riewoldt
2007: Cotchin, Rance
2008: Vickery
2009: Dustin Martin
2010: Conca

Gawwy would like to remind us all that the Dees have a better list than us, a better culture than us, and will win a flag in three years.

And Ratboy Barrett says yeah, and that Waite will kick 100 this season*

*on Fifa2015 while rehabbing from his upcoming long term injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back