AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gungahlin must be going to go on a massive recruiting drive. Didn't make finals in Div 2 or 3 and are expected to move up a Division. Pretty harsh on them. Molonglo's Div 3 team missed finals as well. It is easy for Steve Maher to say teams will be uncompetitive short term but that is long enough to destroy all a club has worked years at building.

Yeah it really seems pointless that ANU and/or ADFA would drop straight back down after only one year. I Know they didnt win too many games, but they looked like they were benefiting from playing at a higher grade, especially ANU. If a couple of other Div 2 sides are pushed up, you would think they would be around the middle of the ladder.
I really don't understand how the association could possibly try and even out the competition... With QBN already premiers in the Div 1, and getting another 20 better players plonked in there as well.
I feel for Gunghalin if they get pushed up, yeah they have great facilities and a fast growing population, but with this years performance's in both grades, I can't see them being competitive for a number of seasons... unless they happen to stumble upon a heap of cash and can recruit like crazy.
Molongolo seem like the best option, but next year seems even too soon for them too. They have got great club people, culture, and ambitions to build new club rooms, Great ties now with Weston Creek juniors etc. They were very strong in the Division 2, and pretty competitve in the Division 3s. If the rumours of a merge with Woden were true, then they could be competitve in the Div 1s. They would have to recruit quite a bit to, there are quite a few ageing players in their outfit.
I really do think instead of having two clubs in the NEAFL, they should have had a North and South rep side. Then players would be attracted to div 1 clubs like Gunghalin and Molongolo at a chance to play in the NEAFL etc... The games could be played around at the different venues. And each side wouldnt have a strong affiliation with any one club..

I really do think instead of having two clubs in the NEAFL, they should have had a North and South rep side. Then players would be attracted to div 1 clubs like Gunghalin and Molongolo at a chance to play in the NEAFL etc... The games could be played around at the different venues. And each side wouldnt have a strong affiliation with any one club..

And this concept, or even a single Canberra rep team, would have worked fine if it was the original starting point. But as it is, why in the world would an Ainslie or Eastlake pour in the dollars to fund teams which they do not then have any name affilation or brand recognition with? There's no way they'd do it. The only way it would get up now is if the AFL were willing to fund it out of their own pocket, with some cash from the ACT clubs as part of an affiliation process or something.

And this concept, or even a single Canberra rep team, would have worked fine if it was the original starting point. But as it is, why in the world would an Ainslie or Eastlake pour in the dollars to fund teams which they do not then have any name affilation or brand recognition with? There's no way they'd do it. The only way it would get up now is if the AFL were willing to fund it out of their own pocket, with some cash from the ACT clubs as part of an affiliation process or something.

Yeah that is very true, if it was to work, it would be more about getting up and coming players exposure to the best competition possible, not about club's 'brand' exposure. I think the AFL and more importantly GWS need it to exist, especially as a development point for potential draftees etc.

Yeah it really seems pointless that ANU and/or ADFA would drop straight back down after only one year. I Know they didnt win too many games, but they looked like they were benefiting from playing at a higher grade, especially ANU. If a couple of other Div 2 sides are pushed up, you would think they would be around the middle of the ladder.
I really don't understand how the association could possibly try and even out the competition... With QBN already premiers in the Div 1, and getting another 20 better players plonked in there as well.
I feel for Gunghalin if they get pushed up, yeah they have great facilities and a fast growing population, but with this years performance's in both grades, I can't see them being competitive for a number of seasons... unless they happen to stumble upon a heap of cash and can recruit like crazy.
Molongolo seem like the best option, but next year seems even too soon for them too. They have got great club people, culture, and ambitions to build new club rooms, Great ties now with Weston Creek juniors etc. They were very strong in the Division 2, and pretty competitve in the Division 3s. If the rumours of a merge with Woden were true, then they could be competitve in the Div 1s. They would have to recruit quite a bit to, there are quite a few ageing players in their outfit.

It seems a bit rough to push Molonglo up after one Finals appearance. the rules were supposed to be 3 FLAGS in a row, Molonglo has one in their 20 years, and that was 10 years ago in what is now div 3....
Same for the jets, but I think Pavese taking on the head coach there plus his involvement with AFL Canberra ultimately secures their promotion. But even then, they have been there before and have those aspirations, I don't think Molonglo does. The new area has no residents atm, nor new facilities or grounds. the area is 5-10 years behind gunghalin at least. Molonglo could move up at that point in time, but I don't think its fair now.
Noting couple years ago, every team in div 2 was being whipped by ANU and ADFA, and after one season they are going back down to make way for Gunners and Juggers, rough.

You're right. The Jets are on the move and we want players to get on board. We have set ourselves up really well off the field with some big coaching appointments and now we are going about finding the right players to take us forward over the coming years.
If you want to be part of a club with big plans and goals and a bright future, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that offers you great opportunities to play senior football, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club where you can help mould the clubs future, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that enjoys their footy off the field just as much as they do on the field, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that offers you endless opportunities, GET ON BOARD!

Jets preseason training starts on the Thursday 13th of November, 6.00pm at Amaroo (check website for more details).

If you are interested in joining the Jets please send me a PM or feel free to rock up to our first training session.
We're excited about where we are heading and you should be too.

You're right. The Jets are on the move and we want players to get on board. We have set ourselves up really well off the field with some big coaching appointments and now we are going about finding the right players to take us forward over the coming years.
If you want to be part of a club with big plans and goals and a bright future, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that offers you great opportunities to play senior football, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club where you can help mould the clubs future, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that enjoys their footy off the field just as much as they do on the field, get on board.
If you want to be part of a club that offers you endless opportunities, GET ON BOARD!

Jets preseason training starts on the Thursday 13th of November, 6.00pm at Amaroo (check website for more details).

If you are interested in joining the Jets please send me a PM or feel free to rock up to our first training session.
We're excited about where we are heading and you should be too.

Holy s**t the Yass roos start pre season two weeks before the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so many rumours around about next year it's unbelievable !!! I hope most of them are just that rumours :(:(
If you've heard the same ones I have then I can see why you would be upset. Losing three of your top 5 players and going up a division is pretty ****. That's not even considering the effect that Yass Magpies re-entering the CDRL top grade is going to do for the overall depth.

If you've heard the same ones I have then I can see why you would be upset. Losing three of your top 5 players and going up a division is pretty ****. That's not even considering the effect that Yass Magpies re-entering the CDRL top grade is going to do for the overall depth.

Anyone care to post these rumours?

Hello Mate
Yes if it's true what we are hearing that Yass will be up a division than that is a s**t decision. Players not playing for Yass in 2015 are as follows. Wazza,Shaneo, JD,Dougy,Brooksy,Simon,Nick,Tommy,Jak,Jimmy,Lennon,Scotty,Brock. Add to that we need a coach and all looks grim for a division upgrade :mad:
It was hoped that we would get a few players back from the Binalong rugby league team because there comp was shut down.However I heard yesterday that they have a new comp out west I think it's the Jim beam cup comp.

Hello Mate
Yes if it's true what we are hearing that Yass will be up a division than that is a s**t decision. Players not playing for Yass in 2015 are as follows. Wazza,Shaneo, JD,Dougy,Brooksy,Simon,Nick,Tommy,Jak,Jimmy,Lennon,Scotty,Brock. Add to that we need a coach and all looks grim for a division upgrade :mad:
It was hoped that we would get a few players back from the Binalong rugby league team because there comp was shut down.However I heard yesterday that they have a new comp out west I think it's the Jim beam cup comp.
Yeah most of those boys are staying with Binalong and playing in the Peak Hill comp or something

It's funny how AFL Canberra seem to know what's best for the lower leagues, given I don't think I've seen them at a home and away game for years... Happy to big note themselves around finals time though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back