List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Found it strange that we met with petracca at his house (as did 4 other clubs) going by his article today on afl.com

Did freo somehow think he would slip to us?

Were we genuinely having a crack at trading ourselves up in the trade period?

Did bondy go for a drive for shits n giggles as he wasn't busy with any trades?

We were trying to trade up, and Saints notionally had the #1 pick on the table. No harm in doing your research in case a Ryder/Beams/Griffen/Boyd/Roberton/White situation happens. Wouldn't want to end up with a high draft pick and have to check bigfooty for advice on who to take.

The Recruit would have been the best way for me to get into the system. Plus those guys looked like so much fun!

There would be so many "I've got to prove I can handle it" monologues.

Had a chat with Gossy at Subway on St Kilda Rd a few weeks ago - was a really good bloke. I'm actually amazed that we haven't heard anything of the runners-up nominating for the draft/rookie draft. Most of them were substantially better players than Lucey (who Geelong picked up).

Found it strange that we met with petracca at his house (as did 4 other clubs) going by his article today on afl.com

Did freo somehow think he would slip to us?

Were we genuinely having a crack at trading ourselves up in the trade period?

Did bondy go for a drive for shits n giggles as he wasn't busy with any trades?

We did the same with McCartin from what i have heard.

I have an inkling that we were that "mystery" team that were looking into the #1 pick.

I have an inkling that we were that "mystery" team that were looking into the #1 pick.

Would gladly have traded the majority of my bodily organs to secure the #1 pick, although my liver is unlikely to have much trade value...

The Recruit would have been the best way for me to get into the system. Plus those guys looked like so much fun!

There would be so many "I've got to prove I can handle it" monologues.
You would have been a distraction for poor Waylen. Was there even an episode where he didn't talk about girls? God knows what he would have been like with one there in the flesh.

You would have been a distraction for poor Waylen. Was there even an episode where he didn't talk about girls? God knows what he would have been like with one there in the flesh.

I might have gotten him moving faster, I think those boys would have responded well to being athletically embarrassed by a skinny girl.

Thoughts on Reece Mckenzie, massive key forward who I haven't seen anyone from freo talk about.

Thoughts on Reece Mckenzie, massive key forward who I haven't seen anyone from freo talk about.
He is the bigger bodied key forward who kicked 1.4 after getting the ball kicked at him all the time while that skinny fella with a great mark kicked 5.3 from 8 possessions standing beside him.

Isn't that the guy?

Luke Hodge's brother Dylan has been injured for the past two years but still selected in Vic Country squad. Highlights available on AFL.com. I feel we are owed for missing Brad Hill and should get the other Hodge. They say he should be a rookie selection.

Luke Hodge's brother Dylan has been injured for the past two years but still selected in Vic Country squad. Highlights available on AFL.com. I feel we are owed for missing Brad Hill and should get the other Hodge. They say he should be a rookie selection.

Kids a monster.
Seen him while at Geelong Grammar a little while back as hes there on scholarship, no idea what his footballing ability is like but hes built for it.

I reckon more likely we were looking at one of the Demons picks and knew it was out of those two players. I thought the Demons have been pretty realistic with their demands on trades for their picks under Roos.

I reckon more likely we were looking at one of the Demons picks and knew it was out of those two players. I thought the Demons have been pretty realistic with their demands on trades for their picks under Roos.

I think you're probably spot on, particularly given the Roos/RTB relationship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were trying to trade up, and Saints notionally had the #1 pick on the table. No harm in doing your research in case a Ryder/Beams/Griffen/Boyd/Roberton/White situation happens. Wouldn't want to end up with a high draft pick and have to check bigfooty for advice on who to take.

Two of those things are not like the others.

I just honestly don't think we should be looking at second-string KPPs in the draft. We need to either back in Tabs and the Ape and/or somehow procure an upgrade to them (either via a high 1st round prospect or, preferably, by nabbing an established, quality KPP). Someone like a Durdin makes sense to me; a bloke who can't kick straight doesn't (regardless of contested marking ability).

I'd rather see us take a KPP with our first if there's still quality on the table, and then focus on other needs with a higher hit rate (small defenders, for example) for our subsequent picks. The reality is that most draftees (particularly KPPs) will see little game time next year - I'd rather we wait for the right guy (and if the right guy is there at our 1st rounder this year, then all the better).

[edit: my exception is Keitel, who could still end up going 1st round anyway]

Last edited:
I just honestly don't think we should be looking at second-string KPPs in the draft. We need to either back in Tabs and the Ape and/or somehow procure an upgrade to them (either via a high 1st round prospect or, preferably, by nabbing an established, quality KPP). Someone like a Durdin makes sense to me; a bloke who can't kick straight doesn't (regardless of contested marking ability).

You do realise that we picked up Tabs in the rookie draft?

You do realise that we picked up Tabs in the rookie draft?

Of course I do. It's exactly why the abysmal hit rate for late-round/rookie KPPs is so front of mind. Care to name me some other successful (and 13 games for 9 goals is hardly successful just yet) KPF's from the rookie list?

Of course I do. It's exactly why the abysmal hit rate for late-round/rookie KPPs is so front of mind. Care to name me some other successful (and 13 games for 9 goals is hardly successful just yet) KPF's from the rookie list?

Don't need to. From what I understood of what you said, there was no point going for them unless we were spending a high first round pick on them. I'd have thought there was some reasonable chance of picking up an upgrade on Tabs (for example) using our second round pick.

I agree. We don't need a decent 18 year old KPF prospect. We need either a 21-24 year old decent KPF prospect, or we need an absolute gun KPF prospect who has the ability to slot in quickly.

McKenzie's profile reads as Apeness (I think Chris25 described him as such). While I think it'd be great to have a couple more KPP prospects in case these guys bust, he doesn't really fit the age or talent profile we need.

Unfortunately even though this draft is 'KPP heavy', barring miracles, the really good KPFs will all be gone by our pick. Excepting perhaps Durdin and maybe Marchbank, who may or may not slip to us, and who may or may not end up a KPD.

I'm certainly not averse to picking up KPPs with late or rookie picks, but spending pick 13 on a guy ranked in the 20's because of need will probably be a mistake.

Last edited:
At some point relatively soon we'll need to look at ruckmen, too. Nobody seems to be holding out tremendously high hopes for Hannath (UFO Tatsu excepted) or Moller, Griff is no spring chicken and Apeness is clearly not a natural ruckman.

As we know, ruckmen are almost the opposite of KPPs, in that a first-rounder doesn't necessarily imply a better return than someone taken later given how hit-and-miss they are. Given both that and the development time required of ruckmen, the draft isn't the most opportune place to go looking for ruck stocks - for all the talk of what a gun Grundy is, he's nothing like prime time just yet. Plus our needs are a little more immediate than picking up an 18 year old ruck prospect in this draft and spending five years getting him ready.

Not sure where I was going with that apart from it being something to be conscious of. Also, Leuie is a restricted FA end of next season... I'd be surprised if we've not had discussions with him regarding 2016 in some way, shape or form (especially given we tried this time around).

Ruckmen appear to be a dime a dozen in every October trade period these days. Teams are opting to trade in ready-made replacements rather than spend years in dollars and resources to develop one. Personally, i'm not too worried about the ruckman situation. Sandi & Clarke are holding up their end of the bargain, and 12 mths down the track if things aren't hunky dory we can always get in Luey's ear as he's a free agent.

Ruckmen appear to be a dime a dozen in every October trade period these days. Teams are opting to trade in ready-made replacements rather than spend years in dollars and resources to develop one. Personally, i'm not too worried about the ruckman situation. Sandi & Clarke are holding up their end of the bargain, and 12 mths down the track if things aren't hunky dory we can always get in Luey's ear as he's a free agent.
This. Ruckmen in premiership sides often come via trade and many teams have had average ricks and won a flag. Clarke is easily better than say Max Bailey was. The issue is just finding depth and a guy who can play second fiddle.
The rate for KPFs as you say is abysmal but some of the best KPDs in the comp were either rookies, mature aged selections (in other words were overlooked altogether) or late picks. (Taylor, Thompson, Lake to name a few)

The rate for KPFs as you say is abysmal but some of the best KPDs in the comp were either rookies, mature aged selections (in other words were overlooked altogether) or late picks. (Taylor, Thompson, Lake to name a few)

Yeah, point taken (although the odds are still pretty average). I perhaps should have been a little more specific to KPFs.

This. Ruckmen in premiership sides often come via trade and many teams have had average ricks and won a flag. Clarke is easily better than say Max Bailey was. The issue is just finding depth and a guy who can play second fiddle.

Exactly. I feel fine with Clarke succeeding Sandi as #1 ruck, but we could easily end up going from most-stocked ruck list in the comp to looking very light-on after Sandi goes if we're not careful - if we delist Hannath and/or Moller (who I believe has to be upgraded or delisted next year) in the next year or two because we're convinced they won't make it, then in reality the options post-Sandi are currently Clarke, Clarke and Clarke. As you said, a champion ruckman / ruck lineup isn't a prerequisite to being a Premiership contender - we just need to make sure there's adequate depth and preparation for the future. In an ideal world, any ruck additions would serve an apprenticeship under Sandi too, although that doesn't appear to have helped Jack much...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back