List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is everyone comparing his stats to a T Hunt or Varcoe when these two had the luxury of playing in a good system around elite players. Blease did not.

Has much potential and the Ox, who's opinion I rate, was unhappy with the delisting and said if he can tap that potential, he'll be a very good player at the very least.

Most likely will cost us peanuts, so might be worth a gamble.

I wonder if we want him to play on the quick dangerous small forwards? Has he ever played back?

I wonder if we want him to play on the quick dangerous small forwards? Has he ever played back?

Was trialed off half back a bit over the last two or three years, with pretty ordinary results. That said, I said the same thing about Gary Rohan, and he was outstanding in the prelim vs Norf. I'd probably like to see him playing similar to the Motlop role at current, though he still hasn't developed a tank, apparently...

I think he has the ability to play the role that White plays for Port. On that basis I am not against using pick 73 on him.

If that's the pick we would use on him then I think its a decent move. Giving up hardly anything to get somebody in who has what we lack a bit of - pure leg speed. Clearly he has some talent being taken in the top 20. Although so was Kane Lucas. And Tenace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that stood out to me watching those highlight videos is how good he is with both left and right foot, some really nice left footed goals there especially the one on the boundary line. Thats a tough skill to master so his skill set is obviously pretty high, Geelong might be able to get the best out of him with a skillful group to work around, I think its a good move.

Why is everyone comparing his stats to a T Hunt or Varcoe when these two had the luxury of playing in a good system around elite players. Blease did not.

Has much potential and the Ox, who's opinion I rate, was unhappy with the delisting and said if he can tap that potential, he'll be a very good player at the very least.

Most likely will cost us peanuts, so might be worth a gamble.
On the flipside he struggled to get a game in the weakest midfield I've ever seen.

On the flipside he struggled to get a game in the weakest midfield I've ever seen.
Agree with that from a macro view. You have to wonder however was it just form that kept him out? I have no informational basis to suggest otherwise and maybe he got behind a few newer players and lost the drive and deserved to be out of the 22.

For a flier pick in the 70's… probably worth a minimum deal. If he comes to GFC, trains hard, buys in, goes and plays VFL and earns his call up, I could see the upside given his skills on both sides of the body, his ability to kick a goal and his line breaking turn of speed. Might give Murdoch a glance in the mirror too.

Go Catters

Agree with that from a macro view. You have to wonder however was it just form that kept him out? I have no informational basis to suggest otherwise and maybe he got behind a few newer players and lost the drive and deserved to be out of the 22.

For a flier pick in the 70's… probably worth a minimum deal. If he comes to GFC, trains hard, buys in, goes and plays VFL and earns his call up, I could see the upside given his skills on both sides of the body, his ability to kick a goal and his line breaking turn of speed. Might give Murdoch a glance in the mirror too.

Go Catters

Not even sure we'd have to use a pick on him. Think we can just sign him in the "delisted free agency period" after November 1...

I'm unsure why they need to have all these different periods ie "Free Agency", "Trade Period", and then "Delisted Free Agency Period" etc... Why don't they set Free Agency to start a month after the season (players can be resigned up until this point), then everyone who doesn't have a contract is free to sign wherever (pending restricted FA under 4/6 years). Trade period should run from start of Free Agency until the draft. Probably something for another thread though, I guess.

Doesn't always mean he lacks the "right stuff" to make it as a good footballer. Sometimes a change of scenery brings the best out of a player (e.g. Matt White)

Not even sure we'd have to use a pick on him. Think we can just sign him in the "delisted free agency period" after November 1...

I'm unsure why they need to have all these different periods ie "Free Agency", "Trade Period", and then "Delisted Free Agency Period" etc... Why don't they set Free Agency to start a month after the season (players can be resigned up until this point), then everyone who doesn't have a contract is free to sign wherever (pending restricted FA under 4/6 years). Trade period should run from start of Free Agency until the draft. Probably something for another thread though, I guess.

They aren't saying that we use a pick on him, we get him instead of using pick 73.

Doesn't always mean he lacks the "right stuff" to make it as a good footballer. Sometimes a change of scenery brings the best out of a player (e.g. Matt White)

If they were to take him, and if he were to get a game, permanent small forward may not be the worst role.

Tell him - "you objective is 1-2 tackles per quarter, and keep the ball in our forward line."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back