Delisted Free Agents

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
no you can't because for one thing, Fletcher debuted when the game was a lot more physical, as in hits off the ball and he had to play on full forwards who were notorious for collecting blokes. Even his courage is unquestionable.
Suggesting Taylor lacks physicality is also a strange comment. If he was that way inclined, he'd not the brilliant defender he is today.

Both Fletcher and Taylor play to their strengths and avoid the standard 'mongrel' body-on-body stuff that apparently 'every' player needs.

Go watch Brown's last game for us. Pay close attention to his work off the ball and how the defender enjoyed blocking him (illegally mind you) but he's like a high school kid against men. The way he gets rag dolled and pushed around is embarrassing. He's 24 now, will never change. Had more than enough time to prove himself throughout many, many NAB practice campaigns and senior exposure. Not upto it.

So is Gunston. And that's the sort of role that Brown should be playing.

Didn't you know, apparently every key forward has to have 'mongrel', and defenders are actually scared by this?

True, but Brown doesn't have that plus the bloke is worse than Gumbleton in terms of not staying on the park! It is a shame as he was very highly rated as a junior, injuries have belted him.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
True, but Brown doesn't have that plus the bloke is worse than Gumbleton in terms of not staying on the park! It is a shame as he was very highly rated as a junior, injuries have belted him.

Very true for the years 2009-2011, but not true for the last 3 years. Has been available (and playing well in the VFL or seniors) pretty much the whole time.

Either way, if a side has good disposal and needs a lead up forward, you could do a lot worse. Has excellent speed for a big guy, good reader of the play and very good skills.

Very true for the years 2009-2011, but not true for the last 3 years. Has been available (and playing well in the VFL or seniors) pretty much the whole time.

Either way, if a side has good disposal and needs a lead up forward, you could do a lot worse. Has excellent speed for a big guy, good reader of the play and very good skills.

Then you have to REALLY question whether he is good enough as Geelong have been screaming for a 2nd/3rd tall to take some heat off Hawkins. Bit different if he was injured, but if he was fit and not picked I worry.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Then you have to REALLY question whether he is good enough as Geelong have been screaming for a 2nd/3rd tall to take some heat off Hawkins. Bit different if he was injured, but if he was fit and not picked I worry.

In his first three years when he suffered injury after injury, he was up against Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly (and was still good enough to make his debut, practically as soon as he was fit...before promptly going down with a season ending injury). In 2012/13, it was Hawkins, Podsiadly and a revolving door of Vardy, Walker and Brown. When Podsiadly was moved on, Vardy was anointed as his successor, then Vardy did his ACL in the preseason, Brown impressed in the lead-up games and made the spot his for Round 1. Then he injured his ankle, had shoulder surgery and couldn't find his way back into the team, as Walker played relatively well when given a chance and Kersten burst out of the blocks, before tiring rapidly (he was persisted with for at least three games too many, in my opinion). When Kersten did his ankle in Round 22, it was going to come down to Brown and Walker playing off for a spot in the Qualifying Final team. Both played well and it would have been a line-ball call. Walker was preferred, due to his ability to pinch hit in the ruck. After McIntosh went down in the Qualifying Final, Brown was given a game against North Melbourne in the semi final and performed reasonably well.

And, of course, it doesn't help that he's been thrown here, there and everywhere when he has been given a chance at senior level.

Yes, anyone who had no idea about Football would.
Cool. Enjoy guys like tutt, Holman and graham. Building a really elite group of mids there Carlton. Sfellow. Keep up the good work mick. Sfellow. Look out afl! Sfellow.

Mclean can help win games of footy. None of those guys can, or ever will. Battlers all round.

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
Just saw that the AFL site mentions that Geelong are interested in Blease. I don't know much about him except that he is quick.

What's his story - outside player? Goal kicker? Good with defensive pressure? Etc. Cheers.

He's fast and can kick the ball long, likes to break the lines. But his problem is that he has no tank. He can only run one way, no defensive capabilities at all, I'd be surprised if he went to Geelong because he doesn't seem to be their type of player.

He's fast and can kick the ball long, likes to break the lines. But his problem is that he has no tank. He can only run one way, no defensive capabilities at all, I'd be surprised if he went to Geelong because he doesn't seem to be their type of player.

Injuries have belted him, unfortunate he just has no confidence in his body.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

I'd be surprised if he didn't now, considering the spruiking that's gone on in the last 24ish hours. I think he could definitely play a bit of senior football next year (wouldn't be locking him in to a spot in the best 22) and I think he'll be more help for us than pick #73 would have been, but on the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how he's better than most of the midfielders that we just delisted (Schroder, Stringer, Hunt).

Yeah, I don't really see what can be gained by cutting McLean. IMO he wasn't a marginal member of their midfield at all.

Quite simply, he's not inside enough for a player that lacks pace as he does. Is adept at floating forward or providing an option out of defence, but is a complete liability one on one if the ball hits the ground. He should be at the bottom of every pack and using his vision to get us moving forward, but he seldom is. Then you see players like Selwood take the ball from a ruck contest and stream into goal to win the game while Brock lurks in the general vicinity looking for the ball to be distributed to him rather than making smart defensive decisions.

Is a great player on his day, but man ... he has had some lapses and he isn't going to change. All of our younger mids, whether they are no names at the moment or not, can still develop the discipline to fit into the side and won't hurt us as much pace wise.

It's a shame but it just feels like Brock has coasted for a lot of his career. Maybe that's his laconic style. I just don't think we'll be sitting back wishing we still had McLean next year. He was on the fringe of our midfield, no doubt.

Feel for anybody losing their job especially in their late 20s as it is too soon for him to retire, but it is what it is.

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
I'd be surprised if he didn't now, considering the spruiking that's gone on in the last 24ish hours. I think he could definitely play a bit of senior football next year (wouldn't be locking him in to a spot in the best 22) and I think he'll be more help for us than pick #73 would have been, but on the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how he's better than most of the midfielders that we just delisted (Schroder, Stringer, Hunt).

I hope he gets another chance

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope he gets another chance

Me too and I'm happy enough for it to be at Geelong. Since we've just traded or dumped Varcoe, Christensen, Schroder, Hunt, Stringer and Sheringham and added exactly zero new midfielders, we are pretty light on there. We might take one with pick 10 (and if we do, he might be ready to contribute in the seniors immediately), but then again, we might not (and/or he might not). And our next pick is late 40s.

If we assume that the best 22 is something like below:

B: Enright, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Bews
C: Stokes, Selwood, Duncan
HF: Murdoch, Clark, Motlop
F: Bartel, Hawkins, McCarthy
R: McIntosh, Johnson, Guthrie
I/C: Stokes, Caddy, Blicavs, Kelly

The definite midfield depth is George Horlin-Smith, (32 career games, turns 22 in December), Darcy Lang (one career game, still a month off turning 19), Jarrad Jansen (zero career games, turned 19 in May and Brad Hartman (5 career games, turns 20 next month) and the possible midfield depth is Jackson Thurlow (10 career games, turned 20 in March) and Billie Smedts (33 career games, turned 22 in June). I think someone like James Kelly is going to have to play a far more prominent role in the midfield next year anyway, but allowing for the standard few unavailabilities in your best 22 that will occur pretty much every week, that's looking very light on, even with Blease and assuming pick #10 is a midfielder. Especially when you factor in the aging backline, which is likely to be where Thurlow and Smedts eventually find their home.

Cool. Enjoy guys like tutt, Holman and graham. Building a really elite group of mids there Carlton. Sfellow. Keep up the good work mick. Sfellow. Look out afl! Sfellow.

Mclean can help win games of footy. None of those guys can, or ever will. Battlers all round.

What's wrong, fronk - has someone ruffled your feathers?

Generally a well reasoned poster but if you're going to go down this path, you'd probably be better off venturing to Bay 13.

Holman and Graham have a long way to go but haven't put a foot wrong in their respective careers to date. Both have deficiencies to their game but for late picks they bring the right attitude and that's a great start.

You won't find too many well-reasoned Carlton fans upset with what they have produced thus far in their careers. Will they develop into superstars? Unlikely - but that doesn't mean they can't be very handy players for us going forward.

What's wrong, fronk - has someone ruffled your feathers?

Generally a well reasoned poster but if you're going to go down this path, you'd probably be better off venturing to Bay 13.

Holman and Graham have a long way to go but haven't put a foot wrong in their respective careers to date. Both have deficiencies to their game but for late picks they bring the right attitude and that's a great start.

You won't find too many well-reasoned Carlton fans upset with what they have produced thus far in their careers. Will they develop into superstars? Unlikely - but that doesn't mean they can't be very handy players for us going forward.
Fair call jeremias. Was responding to a knucklehead post that I should have just ignored. Withdrawn your honour.

Petrie4PM

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope north look at Yagmoor / Hardingham in the pre-season/rookie draft/delisted period. McMahon at this point is only there as injury back up. Spud Firrito has one year and Grima is injury prone. Get Kyle Hardingham in please. The guy does have talent but just needs to work on his composure. Will enjoy working with Tippet, Thompson, Mcdonald, etc.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Me too and I'm happy enough for it to be at Geelong. Since we've just traded or dumped Varcoe, Christensen, Schroder, Hunt, Stringer and Sheringham and added exactly zero new midfielders, we are pretty light on there. We might take one with pick 10 (and if we do, he might be ready to contribute in the seniors immediately), but then again, we might not (and/or he might not). And our next pick is late 40s.

If we assume that the best 22 is something like below:

B: Enright, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Bews
C: Stokes, Selwood, Duncan
HF: Murdoch, Clark, Motlop
F: Bartel, Hawkins, McCarthy
R: McIntosh, Johnson, Guthrie
I/C: Stokes, Caddy, Blicavs, Kelly

The definite midfield depth is George Horlin-Smith, (32 career games, turns 22 in December), Darcy Lang (one career game, still a month off turning 19), Jarrad Jansen (zero career games, turned 19 in May and Brad Hartman (5 career games, turns 20 next month) and the possible midfield depth is Jackson Thurlow (10 career games, turned 20 in March) and Billie Smedts (33 career games, turned 22 in June). I think someone like James Kelly is going to have to play a far more prominent role in the midfield next year anyway, but allowing for the standard few unavailabilities in your best 22 that will occur pretty much every week, that's looking very light on, even with Blease and assuming pick #10 is a midfielder. Especially when you factor in the aging backline, which is likely to be where Thurlow and Smedts eventually find their home.
Where is Rhys Stanley?? I would think he is in your best 22!

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ben Newton was 'delisted' by Port.
Know absolutely nothing of him but Geelong & Collingwood both made a play for him in the trade period.

Back