Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick #28 - Carlton - Ed Vickers-Willis

Position: Utility/Defender
Height: 190cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 28/3/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected Draft Range: 20-35
Plays Like: Tyson Goldsack

Carlton were eyeing off Tyler Keitel at this pick, only to see the Bulldogs pounce. They will consider 3 players now - Corey Ellis, who sliding down the order, Jackson Nelson, and Ed Vicker-Willis. After taking extra time to make the selection, they go with, whom I have dubbed 'The Angry Man', Ed Vickers-Willis.

* Will provide full write up later this evening.

You're up Cyril_Grip

Pick 29: Gold Coast

Oscar McDonald (VIC – Key defender/forward)

Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996

Club: North Ballarat

Projected draft range 25-50

Plays like: Smart defender in the ilk of Jackson Trengove

An athletic tall defender or forward, McDonald has been touted as a bolter of late. Played excellent games in defence on Moore, Wright and McCartin in the TAC Cup. Great hands, great read of the play and a high work rate point to great potential as a strong and reliable defender, These traits also suggest that he will be played in defence at GC, although not in the same team as Thompson and May but could easily supercede May over time in my opinion (but at 88kg will need a good couple of pre seasons in the gym).

McDonald is a smart player capable of chopping of opposition entries, and is also quick over the first few metres. His brother Tom at Melbourne has played some good footy this year, and I think Oscar could surpass him as the GC team improves and begins to win more games.

Gunstall555 I reckon I saved you the one you wanted, just hope that MadDawg helps you out with pick 30!

I had two in mind, one of them went a few picks ago. The other one whilst hoping he'd slip in this draft, if it was the real thing I reckon Collingwood with pick 30 would be jumping on him right now. I hope not I don't have a plan C just yet.

Edit: I have a plan C and feel like I can satisfy the masses with pick 31 based on what is available.

Last edited:
Pick 30: Collingwood – Connor Blakely

Position: midfielder
Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Player style: James Kelly

At this point of the draft we are looking at best available and we at Collingwood are thrilled to nab Connor Blakely. As a player Blakely has great composure in the contest with an innate ability to keep his feet even when tackled. He should be ready to go in year one after playing against men in 15 WAFL games this year averaging 17 disposals, easing the pressure on the midfield after the departures of Luke Ball and Dayne Beams. Although he is not a standout athlete he has good size for a midfielder, great footy smarts and sublime skills on both sides of his body. He knows all the moves to use in congestion, shimmies, back pedals, ball fakes that give him time and space to dispose of the ball effectively. He also has a great ability to read the ruckman’s taps, hitting the ball at top pace and burst away from clearances.

you're up Gunstall555

Last edited:

Write up to follow, hope I didn't throw a spanner in the works for the Hawthorn recruiting team.

you're up Gunstall555
Damn you.

At this point of the draft we are looking at best available and we at Collingwood are thrilled to nab Connor Blakely. As a player Blakely has great composure in the contest with an innate ability to keep his feet even when tackled. He should be ready to go in year one after playing against men in 15 WAFL games this year averaging 17 disposals, easing the pressure on the midfield after the departures of Luke Ball and Dayne Beams. Although he is not a standout athlete he has good size for a midfielder, great footy smarts and sublime skills on both sides of his body. He knows all the moves to use in congestion, shimmies, back pedals, ball fakes that give him time and space to dispose of the ball effectively. He also has a great ability to read the ruckman’s taps, hitting the ball at top pace and burst away from clearances.

you're up Gunstall555
Damn you.

I thought there was an unspoken rule that we can't allow the Collywobbles to take really good players that we really really like :(

Pick 31: Hawthorn – Corey Ellis

Position: Midfielder
Height: 186cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Player style: Jordan Lewis

With this pick I was hoping to land someone with the potential to be a big bodied midfielder and have been able to do so with young Corey. He also just happens to be the next best available player.

Had an excellent TAC cup averaging over 22 disposals per game. Found it a bit tougher for Vic Metro at the national champs - mostly due to the star studded midfield line up at Vic Metro's disposal and getting less time on the ball.

Corey is a left footer who is a beautiful kick of the footy. He is also capable of using his right boot as well. He has strong natural forward instincts and plays a similar style game to our Jordan Lewis. Corey is a long term prospect, he will need time to develop an AFL standard body (being a bottom age player born late in the year) and to also learn our structures and game plan. I believe his ceiling is higher than other midfielders taken earlier in the draft due to his excellent foot skills and the fact that he is competing well already with these midfielders who are mostly 6-9 months older than him.

I almost went with Damien Cavka with this pick but ultimately it was Corey's foot skills that won me over.

hfc70 over to you.

Last edited:
HawkintheTuarts thanks for updating the OP mate. It's really helpful :)
No probs, thanks everyone to the great write ups! It makes it so much more worthwhile linking posts to the players when there's an informative summary for them. It's looking good so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought there was an unspoken rule that we can't allow the Collywobbles to take really good players that we really really like :(

I'm sorry guys, I F-ed up!!

I'm happy to change my selection to

Pick 30 - Collingwood - Mitch Robinson

Position: Coaches bad books
Height: 185cm, Weight: 86kg,
Recruited from: Carlton
Player style: Mitch Robinson

After engaging in multiple late night skirmishes during the off-season, Mitch Robinson comes to Collingwood with limited teeth in his head, which should make him a fan favourite right away. Robinson uses his quick feet to navigate a crowd at the Big Day Out which belies his intoxication level. Robinson hits the packs hard at all times, that is 6 packs and packs of ciggies and uses his low IQ to lie about being out until 5am, not realizing that he was spotted by a large crowd of people, police and security cameras. This allows him to play outstanding football in the reserves and promises to get tattoo sleeve next time he's pissed. Collingwood will surely win the premiership after this selection.

Mitch Robinson’s highlight reel:

Last edited:

After engaging in multiple late night skirmishes during the off-season, Mitch Robinson comes to Collingwood with limited teeth in his head, which should make him a fan favourite right away. Robinson uses his quick feet to navigate a crowd at the Big Day Out which belies his intoxication level. Robinson hits the packs hard at all times, that is 6 packs and packs of ciggies and uses his low IQ to lie about the night being out until 5am, not realizing that he was spotted by a large crowd of people, police and security cameras. This allows him to play outstanding football in the reserves. Collingwood will surely win the premiership after this selection.

In that case I'll change mine to Blakely :p

After engaging in multiple late night skirmishes during the off-season, Mitch Robinson comes to Collingwood with limited teeth in his head, which should make him a fan favourite right away. Robinson uses his quick feet to navigate a crowd at the Big Day Out which belies his intoxication level. Robinson hits the packs hard at all times, that is 6 packs and packs of ciggies and uses his low IQ to lie about the night being out until 5am, not realizing that he was spotted by a large crowd of people, police and security cameras. This allows him to play outstanding football in the reserves and promises to get tattoo sleeve. Collingwood will surely win the premiership after this selection.

***Eddie Maguire likes this***

:D

After engaging in multiple late night skirmishes during the off-season, Mitch Robinson comes to Collingwood with limited teeth in his head, which should make him a fan favourite right away. Robinson uses his quick feet to navigate a crowd at the Big Day Out which belies his intoxication level. Robinson hits the packs hard at all times, that is 6 packs and packs of ciggies and uses his low IQ to lie about the night being out until 5am, not realizing that he was spotted by a large crowd of people, police and security cameras. This allows him to play outstanding football in the reserves and promises to get tattoo sleeve. Collingwood will surely win the premiership after this selection.

this made my day LMFAO..............

Pick 32 - Caleb Daniel

Height : 167cm (Tiny)
Weight : 66kg (Light)
Recruited from : South Adelaide
Position : Midfielder

This kid is a pocket - rocket. There is a big query over his height (Tony Liberatore size) but this didn't stop me selecting him.
Finds 'heaps' of the ball & uses it extremely well. Will fit well into the WCE midfield and provide the inside grunt work required
and release guys like Shuey & Gaff on the outside. Good replacement for Daniel Kerr in the midfield and he can kick goals which is an added
bonus. If Caleb was 13cm taller he would be Top 10 no worries.
You think Joel Selwood gets lots of frees.....well Caleb will make him look like Buddy Franklin ! How can you tackle a ball magnet that's only
167cm tall (Clarko's probably taller :D).
Caleb is a good decision maker also & reads the play very well.

2nd Best Ever Beep Test at Draft Combine of 16.1 :eek:
Clean Hands 25/30

Others considered : Josh Glenn & Touk Miller

halfback dasher over to you Sir !

halfback dasher now up

Ha, I think Ellis is a great pick and would not surprise me if he is our selection in the real draft.
I don't think he's a chance to get out of the top 25, so it'd be a great steal irl too!

Pick 32 - Caleb Daniel

Was wondering when he'd go, everyone loves him!

Last edited:
Pick 32 - Caleb Daniel

This kid is a pocket - rocket. There is a big query over his height (Tony Liberatore size) but this didn't stop me selecting him.
Finds 'heaps' of the ball & uses it extremely well. Will fit well into the WCE midfield and provide the inside grunt work required
and release guys like Shuey & Gaff on the outside. Good replacement for Daniel Kerr in the midfield and he can kick goals which is an added
You think Joel Selwood gets lots of frees.....well Caleb will make him look like Buddy Franklin ! How can you tackle a ball magnet that's only

Clean Hands 25/30

Not happy was counting on him being there at pick 49 :(

Pick 32 - Caleb Daniel

Clean Hands 25/30

he's my tip for the hawks at pick 31 in the real thing............

he's my tip for the hawks at pick 31 in the real thing............
I just wanted to secure a mid that wasn't sub 180cm with the first pick. Also I was really hoping he'd slip to 49 (I would have taken him with 50 though just so I can say to everyone ha a guy I took in the 50's is better than your pick 5).

Will be around 7.00 boys and girls.....

No problemo, if guys picking after hb ( VandoHawk nickrebellious SodaPop ) know they wont be around but are here before then, you can send a preference of picks to myself if you wish (or a complicit mod like grizzlym ) that way there's no hold up afterwards too and you can always come back todo a write up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back