Remove this Banner Ad

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Pretty much needed Shaw to retire and frankly I hope I'm wrong but I struggle to see Shaw doing much. This has O'Keefe in 2014 written all Over it
Yeah its hard with the senior players staying on. Since you guys can smell a premiership. Like totally in your grasp. If you guys were a bottom 8 side, Goodes and Shaw probably would of retired. But they won't retire until there body full on collapses. means young guys who ere expecting there opportunity next year, and waited for there chance, now just want to play regular footy, regarding who its for.

I always thought of Tayte Pears in regards to Dustin Fletcher. he was touted as the fletcher replacement, but he just kept on playing.
Fortunate for Bombers is Tayte got injured and no one wanted to trade for him so he stayed on the list and they prob hope he is right for 2016 when Fletch hits his 400 games and retires

If he is a Higgins clone with a tough side to his game then he is more than a Higgins clone. Higgins is one of the most skilful players we had, but was constantly injured, and wasn't very hard on the contest.
You say he is a Higgins replacement but hard at the contest then we have upgraded on Higgins.

Higgins is a bit like Daisy (not in playing style, but as a overated player). Dogs don't have many players who are rated in general, yet Higgins was just rated as this skilful player. And every year he gives the same speech about how this is his best preseason, and this will be his big breakout year, no injury concerns, and then he plays 3 games and out for the year. Did play better this year. Would of been content keeping him, but think we got a good deal in free agency for him. pick 27 for him is very handy, especially now that we don't have a first round pick. having picks 26, 27, 39, 42 and 43 is reasonable

More in terms of where he plays. He is a typical Swans developed player who works hard in defence. It isn't what he is known for, that is his foot skills and the fact he can play multi positions. I think he pretty much starts at half back for you guys pushing into the middle if needed.

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
More in terms of where he plays. He is a typical Swans developed player who works hard in defence. It isn't what he is known for, that is his foot skills and the fact he can play multi positions. I think he pretty much starts at half back for you guys pushing into the middle if needed.
Half back is a must need for us, as we have trialled Cooney and Higgins in there because we had no run from half back.
Heres hoping he is a success for us.
Hoping he forms a good half back relationship with Wood, and free up Murphy a bit more. Especially as he is getting near his end himself. Too much reliance on him out of defence.

If he is a Higgins clone with a tough side to his game then he is more than a Higgins clone. Higgins is one of the most skilful players we had, but was constantly injured, and wasn't very hard on the contest.
You say he is a Higgins replacement but hard at the contest then we have upgraded on Higgins.

Higgins is a bit like Daisy (not in playing style, but as a overated player). Dogs don't have many players who are rated in general, yet Higgins was just rated as this skilful player. And every year he gives the same speech about how this is his best preseason, and this will be his big breakout year, no injury concerns, and then he plays 3 games and out for the year. Did play better this year. Would of been content keeping him, but think we got a good deal in free agency for him. pick 27 for him is very handy, especially now that we don't have a first round pick. having picks 26, 27, 39, 42 and 43 is reasonable

Yeah its hard with the senior players staying on. Since you guys can smell a premiership. Like totally in your grasp. If you guys were a bottom 8 side, Goodes and Shaw probably would of retired. But they won't retire until there body full on collapses. means young guys who ere expecting there opportunity next year, and waited for there chance, now just want to play regular footy, regarding who its for.

I always thought of Tayte Pears in regards to Dustin Fletcher. he was touted as the fletcher replacement, but he just kept on playing.
Fortunate for Bombers is Tayte got injured and no one wanted to trade for him so he stayed on the list and they prob hope he is right for 2016 when Fletch hits his 400 games and retires

Really fine line with in terms of great players. Had we won the flag Goodes and Shaw retire and we hold onto Membrey and Biggs probably but who knows though, Biggs still would have Jones in front at the Swans.

Half back is a must need for us, as we have trialled Cooney and Higgins in there because we had no run from half back.
Heres hoping he is a success for us.
Hoping he forms a good half back relationship with Wood, and free up Murphy a bit more. Especially as he is getting near his end himself. Too much reliance on him out of defence.

Then he is a perfect recruit, you have a 150 game player easily you can't teach good foot skills and Biggs has that. Reads the game well too

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
Really pleased with this trade.
Will fit into our back 6 either eventually, or now. Probably Sydney being in premiership contention hurt his senior prospects, and like the fact he's had to work hard to have an AFL career.

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
I like this deal. Not that I think Biggs is any certainty to make it long term. If he was he would've taken Rhys Shaw's spot by now at Sydney. But the dogs needed someone ready made to replace Cooney and Higgins on the outside/half back and got it for free. He's got to tidy up his defending and kicking (which is good not great) but there's a lot to like. I'd much rather him than what Melbourne have from half back.

The dogs have many challenges to building a team.
- Key defense
- Finding a 2nd ruck agile enough to complement Boyd inside 50 without getting in the way
- Making sure Campbell or Cordy are actually good enough to take over from Minson
- Back flank and midfield depth (and this is vital short term as well as long so the kids aren't crippled)

Biggs is the kind of free pick up who should help in what really is likely to be a backwards 2015 and maybe 2016 as well. I think the dogs will be hunting for a ready to impact experience midfielder as well in the delistings.
Very good post .
I think we'll probably go back or plateu to be honest next season .
When losing that many games regardless of output you generally battle for a bit .
Funny in saying that because I'm more confident in the years ahead.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Very good post .
I think we'll probably go back or plateu to be honest next season .
When losing that many games regardless of output you generally battle for a bit .
Funny in saying that because I'm more confident in the years ahead.

Depth and development will be tested next year. In the past, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Jones would have been automatic best 22. Add in Gia and we need to find 5 guys to step up. Now, we probably have the kids to cover - but if they get injured or out of form - we'll be more exposed. Biggs sounds like a good in at this point.

The big thing we've achieved in this off season is Boyd. Genuine potential KPF. May not make it (will be an expensive mistake if this happens), but the true potential KPF's are hard to find - it's a very important building block for us.

Parkerman

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
Big Cox, Darling Stand
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool with Kenny Suarez #7
Higgins is a good comparison IMO. I enjoyed watching Biggs in the handful of games he played for the Swans, mainly off the HBF. One paced, but even in finals he seemed to have a bit of time and was a good user of the ball. They go hand in hand, I guess.

The reason/s he left the Swans are not black and white IMO. Too many bits of this and bits of that to go through. :)

Good luck to Shane. A good player, should do well at the Bulldogs.

Monumental steal. Downgrading 2 positions in the 2nd round well worth it. Doggies laughing all the way to the bank.

Was a player changing clubs for more opportunity. I am stoked he is playing as well as he is. I wanted to keep him, but we lost him the same way we got JK3.

Not to mention, us and the dogs like a few clubs have good trading relations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Looks like a good deal for the dogs.

Who did we pick up at 39?

And who did the Swans pick up at 37? And who was the 38th selection?

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
The trade was just to get Biggs to a club that he'd get more game time at, he looked handy at the Swans just couldn't force him in at the time but the coaches rated him. Couldn't afford to keep him and he wanted opportunities. The picks I think had nothing to do with it, think it was just us doing something other than pick 70 for biggs.

Biggs looks great though, i think a lot more players will move for opportunities

Was sadder to see Cross go. Think there were a few professionalism issues with Cooney at play as well. Nobody begrudges him extending his career though.

Edit - was answering your unedited post about shipping off a club champion

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was sadder to see Cross go. Think there were a few professionalism issues with Cooney at play as well. Nobody begrudges him extending his career though.

Edit - was answering your unedited post about shipping off a club champion

I thought it was inappropriate to discuss it in this thread so i edited my post.

I think the doggies have managed their list extremely well over the last three years

Great dash, can't kick. Reminds me a lot of Collingwood era Lumumba. Great pick up for what they paid, especially with Boyd and Murphy near the end.

t_bond_legend

All Australian
Apr 18, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Was a player changing clubs for more opportunity. I am stoked he is playing as well as he is. I wanted to keep him, but we lost him the same way we got JK3.

Not to mention, us and the dogs like a few clubs have good trading relations.
Not saying Sydney were bad traders - always had respect for the way the Swans conducted themselves at the trade table, but was more commenting on how much the Bulldogs must be stoked with that trade given where he is now. It's only round 1 but signs are looking good.
Valid point re. JPK, he was definitely a steal for you blokes as well.

35 disposals at 82% efficiency. Some great running goals in the past.

Can kick. It's one of his strengths
Well there you go. Saw a lot of them soar above his teammates heads the other day, maybe it was a once off.

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
Well there you go. Saw a lot of them soar above his teammates heads the other day, maybe it was a once off.

Is prone to a shank every now and then but generally neat by foot. Absolute ball magnet too and can play above his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back