Bickley to 5AA

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Alana Smith!
Anything to hear or see more of her would be welcomed. Got the rudest shock of my life when I saw Sami Lukas reading the news of fox sports. Hope that's not a regular occurrence.

As for Bone, glad he's gone. Sick of his negativity for no reason.

Anything to hear or see more of her would be welcomed. Got the rudest shock of my life when I saw Sami Lukas reading the news of fox sports. Hope that's not a regular occurrence.

As for Bone, glad he's gone. Sick of his negativity for no reason.
From a non-Crows member he comes across as being pretty fair. I'm just glad I won't have to listen to the saliva build up in his mouth trying to find a way out.

From a non-Crows member he comes across as being pretty fair. I'm just glad I won't have to listen to the saliva build up in his mouth trying to find a way out.

For mine, Bone's biggest problem isn't about biases or being fair - it's that he always has to take an extreme opinion about everything. Crows lost? Every part of the club is screwed, the coaches have lost the players, etc. Crows won? It's all sunshine and roses.

Player gets suspended for three weeks? AFL football is dead, gen Y players are wrecking the fabric of the game, etc. It gets downgraded to 2? The tribunal is the best adjudication system in the land, AFL football is as tough as it's ever been, etc.

I get that it's his shtick and he's probably told to do it, but it makes him very frustrating to listen to.

As much as you blokes go down the "Bitter Bone" line he still gushes over Danger, Sloane, Walker & Talia etc. like a fanboy....... hope Bicks ain't bitter ;)

I do find it funny that Power fans are complaining again calling it 5 Double Crow. They've got Tredders on Channel 9, and on Footy Classified, Rucci has his own SA Footy Show on Channel 9 and gets the back page of the paper every day, but it's all biased against Port because Bickley got the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets paid a million bucks a year to coach, why would he speak to those two bozos for $250 a week?

I did say it was just a guess, but an educated guess based on:

- there's not a huge amount of money in radio to pay big money to guests (unlike TV), thus the need to get a sponsor for each guest
- 5AA need to pay something to get the weekly commitment
- it's probably enjoyable for the guest, it's quite pleasant to have people seeking their views; we all welcome a bit of flattery and respect
- for the guest it is cream on the cake to their regular income and only minimal time commitment (just be available over the phone for a ten minute chat once a week wherever you are, no preparation required). $250 = $25 per minute, people do phone sex for a lot less (so I've heard)
- for the guest it's a chance to 'promote their 'personal brand' and for Malthouse his club'. Note the big build-up Cam Mooney and Caro get

Cornes and KG used to do the same thing. It was obvious who was pushing which side and that it had all bee discussed in the meetings before the the show started. It's an obvious media ploy that is used all over the world in talkback radio with two hosts.

Hate to admit this, but I really loved listening to them talk about the Crows. It wasnt riveting but enjoyable enough to listen to on Saturday mornings.

I did say it was just a guess, but an educated guess based on:

- there's not a huge amount of money in radio to pay big money to guests (unlike TV), thus the need to get a sponsor for each guest
- 5AA need to pay something to get the weekly commitment
- it's probably enjoyable for the guest, it's quite pleasant to have people seeking their views; we all welcome a bit of flattery and respect
- for the guest it is cream on the cake to their regular income and only minimal time commitment (just be available over the phone for a ten minute chat once a week wherever you are, no preparation required). $250 = $25 per minute, people do phone sex for a lot less (so I've heard)
- for the guest it's a chance to 'promote their 'personal brand' and for Malthouse his club'. Note the big build-up Cam Mooney and Caro get

For Caro and Mooney, I can see why they do it, they wouldn't be on the same coin and reporting on football is their main source of income, but for Mick, as you say, it is about his own personal brand and ego, he actually comes off as a completely different person on AA as he does the rest of the time.

I wish they wouldnt have Caro on, such a negative bitter person. Very rarely if ever is there a good news story from her. Always reporting the smut that takes place in AFL circles.

A former newspaper editor used to tell his cadets: "news is what someone else wants kept out of the papers".

Caro is a real journalist and IMHO helps balance 5AA's coverage. She is different to ex-footballers/coaches Malthouse, Matthews, Moonie in that she usually has news and works her sources (unlike you know who who doesn't seem to have any sources or break any news).

Last edited:
A former newspaper editor used to tell his cadets: "news is what someone else wants left out of the papers".

Caro is a real journalist and IMHO helps balance 5AA's coverage. She is different to ex-footballers/coaches Malthouse, Matthews, Moonie in that she usually has news and works her sources (unlike you know who who doesn't seem to have any sources or break any news).
I agree, Caro is good. Can see how people hate her but she definitely gives that off field insight a bit more than most, certainly more than any of the other guests who are mostly more opinion and made up facts. Somehow she even gives more insight into what is happening at our club than the reporters here who either make sh!t up or don't have the courage to report what they know- you know, because you need to protect your source which means a lot when you never reveal info you get from your source!

Mick is good too. Ive never been a fan of his, has always come across as self loving and thinking his opinion is better than anyone else but his 5AA spot is generally pretty good.

They are the ones who give some credibility to whats going on.

How can Bickley possibly be objective about the Crows, the article says he is still going to work for the club!

He will continue to work for the Adelaide Football Club as a part-time consultant in marketing and promotional activities. This role will include hosting club functions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back