List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really need to nail the two picks in the 20s!
I agree, if we can snag 2 potential 150 + gamers from those picks it will propel us forward no end... We lost so much speed, class and skill in the last fortnight we need to try and bring some back in (IMO)

Billy Frampton looks like a ruck/forward late selection. Nice skills and moves well.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/696677/draft-prospect-billy-frampton/

Write-up from EQ:

Billy Frampton (South Fremantle)

Born 20.11.1996, 199cm, 85kg

AFL biography: Ruckman with very good athletic ability including natural leap and speed. Averaged 17.3 disposals and 5.3 marks in 13 Colts games in WAFL this year. At his best in both games against Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Raff Guadagnino, WAFL: "Billy's a ruckman who can kick goals. He has really good agility so he can move around the ground well and he's a fierce competitor who doesn't like to lose."
Sounds good, with one of our later picks or even rookie picks I want a project genuine 2nd ruck/forward option. One whose natural in both positions, has to be an athletic type too.

Sounds like he fits the bill!

How good has our last few years been recruiting..

Boyd Bonti Honeychurch
Hunter Stringer McCrae
Smith Talia Stevens
Walliss Libba JJ Campbell Dalhouse

There is 5-8 A graders in 3 Drafts

I agree with your sentiments but it would be a nice touch if you were to learn how to correctly spell the names of the players you are so impressed with. Just sayin'.

Wonder if we are interested in Matt Hanson as a rookie to back up for Wallis and Libba especially if Boyd slows down too much and Smith still fails to get on the park.

sounds as if he has a really strong work ethic which is good, apparently several clubs have talked to him.

Last edited:
just realised this: Petracca is only 4 months and 2 weeks younger than Boyd and 1 month and 2 weeks younger than Bontempelli! Our picks 1 and 4 from last years draft are seriously young and for them to be top end talent for their draft is a great sign for us

Wonder if we are interested in Matt Hanson as a rookie to back up for Wallis and Libba especially if Boyd slows down too much and Smith still fails to get on the park.

sounds as if he has a really strong work ethic which is good, apparently several clubs have talked to him.

I like your idea. I'd like us to rookie list a couple mature bodies from the state leagues to cover the losses of Griffen, Cooney and also Higgins. Not sure about Hanson though, he would have to improve a lot since I last saw him.

I am very worried

What if dalrymple returns to his Howard ways. It is quite possible Brendan only got heavily involved in the real early picks - smith stringer Macrae bontempelli and left the lower picks to dal rumple

We know from reports Brendan met with the families of the early picks

Last years fuller pick just smells like Howard

It is quite possible and potentially disastrous if he goes left fuel again
I don't imagine Brendan got too involved in the likely pick 26/27 or beyond for this years draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effectively having 6 picks ranging from 24 - 46 (including Z.Cordy in that) means that we are certainly going to get some really good players in the range. Certainly is a good year for us that picks 20 - 50 are all pretty even. Menadue, McDonald, Hammelman/Crisp, McLean/Daniel and Drummond would be some very nice inclusions indeed, coving KPP at either end and some outside run and speed. Someone like a McLean or Daniel could be the 2010 Dahlhaus. Hope we take the one that is left at 46.

I am very worried

What if dalrymple returns to his Howard ways. It is quite possible Brendan only got heavily involved in the real early picks - smith stringer Macrae bontempelli and left the lower picks to dal rumple

We know from reports Brendan met with the families of the early picks

Last years fuller pick just smells like Howard

It is quite possible and potentially disastrous if he goes left fuel again
I don't imagine Brendan got too involved in the likely pick 26/27 or beyond for this years draft

We just cant afford to f-up this draft , looks very even deep into the pool , so 2 or 3 100 gamers to add to what we have and we are on our way.
Just an idea , but why not get Dalrymple to put forward his thoughts to us BF experts first , so we can sign off on them.
Pretty sure I will miss a Howard / Fuller type without too much worry.:eek:

Skippos what can you tell me about Tester from the Knights?

Not a huge amount - I'm not exposed to vast amounts of TAC cup so have only seen him a few times + the champs.

I don't mind him. Athletic KPD who's got the height that clubs will be looking at for in a modern key back. Despite having the height he's also rather athletic. Very raw though - could well be molded into a solid player but is a long way off at the moment - I like him though.

just realised this: Petracca is only 4 months and 2 weeks younger than Boyd and 1 month and 2 weeks younger than Bontempelli! Our picks 1 and 4 from last years draft are seriously young and for them to be top end talent for their draft is a great sign for us

This is a really good point and one people seem to ignore a bit. An AFL scout told me that if two players are identical, they prefer the January birth to the October birth. I don't really understand that - surely you'd take the one with less development. Food for thought though. I don't subscribe to that - I definitely prefer bottom agers. Someone like Petracca and Brayshaw both would have been in the same year at school as Bontempelli and Aish and all that. They'd have been in the same school team levels and had similar time in the system. The AFL system works on a Jan 1-Dec 31 year bracket but I know plenty of systems work from July-June or April-March or borderline random dates. In some age groups it's likely Petracca would have been considered in the same bracket as Bonts (who might have been an older one, with CP a mid aged one).

The point I'm making is that really you expect the older players to be more AFL ready - their bodies are a little more developed and they've likely had some more time in junior systems to develop their game.

Boyd is a good should being a September birth though. Not only does it take KPFs a long time to develop but Boyd's shown tons despite being a little younger than most of his peers. Joe Daniher was the same age at the start of last season that Boyd is at the end of this season kind of thing - it's a bigger gap than people think, he was hardly a January birth who dominated the TAC through being bigger and more developed - he was relatively raw age wise. Gun.

This is a really good point and one people seem to ignore a bit. An AFL scout told me that if two players are identical, they prefer the January birth to the October birth. I don't really understand that - surely you'd take the one with less development. Food for thought though. I don't subscribe to that - I definitely prefer bottom agers. Someone like Petracca and Brayshaw both would have been in the same year at school as Bontempelli and Aish and all that. They'd have been in the same school team levels and had similar time in the system. The AFL system works on a Jan 1-Dec 31 year bracket but I know plenty of systems work from July-June or April-March or borderline random dates. In some age groups it's likely Petracca would have been considered in the same bracket as Bonts (who might have been an older one, with CP a mid aged one).

The point I'm making is that really you expect the older players to be more AFL ready - their bodies are a little more developed and they've likely had some more time in junior systems to develop their game.

Boyd is a good should being a September birth though. Not only does it take KPFs a long time to develop but Boyd's shown tons despite being a little younger than most of his peers. Joe Daniher was the same age at the start of last season that Boyd is at the end of this season kind of thing - it's a bigger gap than people think, he was hardly a January birth who dominated the TAC through being bigger and more developed - he was relatively raw age wise. Gun.
They might prefer the older boys because they have a bigger sample size and more time to detect whether they're going to stagnate early or continue to develop. I've tended to sway towards the underagers as well but the other side does make sense I suppose. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not a huge amount - I'm not exposed to vast amounts of TAC cup so have only seen him a few times + the champs.

I don't mind him. Athletic KPD who's got the height that clubs will be looking at for in a modern key back. Despite having the height he's also rather athletic. Very raw though - could well be molded into a solid player but is a long way off at the moment - I like him though.

Skippos, if Petracca was in last years draft where do you think he would have gone? Top 5? Conversely where would Boyd and Bonts go if they were in this years draft (harder to say i guess as they have AFL runs on the board)?

Last edited:
Skippos, if Petracca was in last years draft where do you think he would have gone? Top 5? Conversely where would Boyd and Bonts go if they were in this years draft (harder to say i guess as they have AFL runs on the board)?

It depends really. I think the Petracca we know now would probably have gone at 2 (though I think he'd have been in a similar group to Kelly/Bonts/Aish/Schara). The Petracca of last year I think would likely have gone 25-60. Last year he didn't play much in the middle - had an extra 6-7 kgs than he does now and was just an undersized key forward. He very much needed the extra year in the system.

I like your idea. I'd like us to rookie list a couple mature bodies from the state leagues to cover the losses of Griffen, Cooney and also Higgins. Not sure about Hanson though, he would have to improve a lot since I last saw him.
When was that you last saw him?

Anyway I'd be looking at guys like Taylor Grace (who almost won 2 B&F in a row at the Dragons) or Caleb Hislop still young guys but can come in pretty much straight away if needed. Especially if we have 5 Rookie spots

They prefer January birthday as that has meant the kid has probably been ahead of the curve all the way through and been exposed to more elite learning pathways during their junior years. Basically they have had more development work already ingrained into them.

It also tends to impact confidence levels and a certain amount of self belief is evident.

They prefer January birthday as that has meant the kid has probably been ahead of the curve all the way through and been exposed to more elite learning pathways during their junior years. Basically they have had more development work already ingrained into them.

It also tends to impact confidence levels and a certain amount of self belief is evident.
I'd contend, though, that it's more impressive for an underager to be rated as being on level ground as the older kid given they've had less development work and less exposure to elite learning pathways.

I'd contend, though, that it's more impressive for an underager to be rated as being on level ground as the older kid given they've had less development work and less exposure to elite learning pathways.

No doubt about that Dannnnn but I was just relaying what I had read before. Kids from under 12 now are in rep squads etc and they tend to be pushed along more than others once they get a reputation as being a gun.

Yeah there are so many examples. For me, you want guys that just love getting the footy, love the contest, hate to lose. They want the ball in their hands, they want to take that set shot for goal.

The really good ones have all that plus once they get the ball they can use it well. I don't care if he's 4ft tall or 7ft, has a massive hand span, a long neck and short body all I want is guys who will almost kill to win and if they can use it well then they are super stars.

Caleb Daniel seems to me to be exactly that. He's have the wing span of a Bee.

Much rather take a punt on a good player being too small than a poor player learning to play. If this guy is available at 39, I hope we take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back