Analysis Lewis Jetta

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats. You've just proven stats are almost irrelevant. In doing so you've destroyed every argument about how awesome he's been this year. His offensive stats are great. It's the other 50% of his game that's in question (It should be half of his game but it isn't).

So the stats that show his offensive skills are great are meaningless and the stats that show the 'other 50% of his game' are meaningful?
WOW. Really?

So the stats that show his offensive skills are great are meaningless and the stats that show the 'other 50% of his game' are meaningful?
WOW. Really?

The one star that really, really counts is the one when you eyewitness him not running, not chasing, not doing the team things he should. That's the only stat that really matters. And I for one saw far too much of it this year. Really.

The one star that really, really counts is the one when you eyewitness him not running, not chasing, not doing the team things he should. That's the only stat that really matters. And I for one saw far too much of it this year. Really.

Nonsense.
If that was true he would have been dumped long ago.

Not your version of it.

Don't make the same mistake as Bedford and confuse your opinion for the truth.
Your opinion has been somewhat discredited leaving only your vindictiveness towards Jets.

Did that hurt or set you free?

The truth is he's still getting games so he must be doing something right in the eyes of the coaching panel.

I'll be the first to admit I had my doubts about Jetta's intent and commitment and thought he was being lazy. But having watched him closely the last half a season perhaps that's just a combination of his demeanour and the effect of the role he's been asked to play?

He does run a fair bit throughout the game, often at good consistent pace. Maybe the coaches are over using him closer to congestion meaning he has to get his tiny frame into more of the tough stuff, cope some extra tackles etc as well as run further to get to/from the congestion... and is thus burning out quicker?

I'd be pushing him more forward next year with small stints toward the middle of the ground. His best work is on the outside, in fact I think his best work is done waaaayyy on the outside. I'm talking boundary line running across the 50m mark and kicking toward goal. Not sitting just on the edge of the pack 85m out from goal dancing through traffic and kicking long.

The truth is he's still getting games so he must be doing something right in the eyes of the coaching panel.

I'll be the first to admit I had my doubts about Jetta's intent and commitment and thought he was being lazy. But having watched him closely the last half a season perhaps that's just a combination of his demeanour and the effect of the role he's been asked to play?

He does run a fair bit throughout the game, often at good consistent pace. Maybe the coaches are over using him closer to congestion meaning he has to get his tiny frame into more of the tough stuff, cope some extra tackles etc as well as run further to get to/from the congestion... and is thus burning out quicker?

I'd be pushing him more forward next year with small stints toward the middle of the ground. His best work is on the outside, in fact I think his best work is done waaaayyy on the outside. I'm talking boundary line running across the 50m mark and kicking toward goal. Not sitting just on the edge of the pack 85m out from goal dancing through traffic and kicking long.

That would tell you one thing.

The ******* Coaching panel need to improve just as much as the players if we are going to win another flag while this opportunity presents.

Most good judges will tell you Jetta is a passenger when it comes to doing the little things that win games of football.
The little things are the hard things that front runners do not like doing.

Btw this is not to denigrate your opinion. It is mine and a lot of others who are better versed in the subject than me I can assure you.

Don't want to get too bitchy, because overall I think Lewis J had a decent season.

But yeah he'll have to work on his game in 2015, or otherwise hope that the AFL doesn't lift the trading ban.

The ******* Coaching panel need to improve just as much as the players if we are going to win another flag while this opportunity presents.

Most good judges will tell you Jetta is a passenger when it comes to doing the little things that win games of football.

Btw this is not to denigrate your opinion. It is mine and a lot of others who are better versed in the subject than me I can assure you.

I think the coaching panel deserve kudos for us finishing number 1 despite a poor start and winning a record number of games. Sure we screwed up the big one but that wasn't the coaching panel's fault. Our players just didn't turn up. Our deficiencies are more likely in the sports psychology department.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think the coaching panel deserve kudos for us finishing number 1 despite a poor start and winning a record number of games. Sure we screwed up the big one but that wasn't the coaching panel's fault. Our players just didn't turn up. Our deficiencies are more likely in the sports psychology department.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Agree, finishing minor premiers, two home finals and going into a Grand Final as favourites.. what better position could we have been in? Im sure there could have been some moves in the game itself hindsight is a wonderful thing but Horse on game day has never made radical moves so nothing strange there. As for Jetta the criticism on aspects of his game is fair but to dismiss his attributes is silly and I think most players on our list deserve a thread like this as much as he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a discussion forum for different opinions so each to their own. No dramas mate.

I just think each player has their strengths and weaknesses and Jettas strengths & weaknesses have a bit more air between them than most. His strengths are very potent and unique. His weaknesses are easy to exploit when given a chance.

Perhaps not putting him amongst the tough stuff as much and just tell him to focus on his strengths may help him gain some confidence and impact some gains.

Not Jetta's greatest fan on field but I blame the coaches in trying to turn him into an inside/outside mid. He is a winger, he played juniors and his first seasons as a winger. Guess what they were his best seasons and then they try to change him into something he is not. I wish they put him back on the wing, just tell him one thing- run.

Not Jetta's greatest fan on field but I blame the coaches in trying to turn him into an inside/outside mid. He is a winger, he played juniors and his first seasons as a winger. Guess what they were his best seasons and then they try to change him into something he is not. I wish they put him back on the wing, just tell him one thing- run.

I was pretty dirty on him after the grand final but in retrospect (and I haven't rewatched it so I might be wrong), he got a bit of a bashing and in reality his possession tally was a symptom of the inside mids totally failing to clear the ball. I would like to see him running more and I think that is achieved by giving him more room.

I was pretty dirty on him after the grand final but in retrospect (and I haven't rewatched it so I might be wrong), he got a bit of a bashing and in reality his possession tally was a symptom of the inside mids totally failing to clear the ball. I would like to see him running more and I think that is achieved by giving him more room.

Look it is obvious he had a stinker of a GF- he wasn't alone though. However we need to play him in his best position, I don't care if he doesn't win a clearance, that isn't his job! His job is to run, and kick goals.

Exactly.

I think the coaches moved him more toward congestion as he was copping the tag playing that wingman/hhf role and they were just trying to help drop the tag. They then just left him there rather than sneek him back when no one was looking...

A lazy show pony. The inside 50 stat is because he runs hard to be on the end of it. One way runner who refuses to run to close down space or the uncontested possession. Dummygate and his camera hogging histrionics in the circle at the team song makes me cringe as much as watching him attempt to tackle. Harden up work harder and pull your head in or GTFO.

The hawks targeted jetta and hanners very hard, they knew if they could kill our outside run then we would have no chance of counter attack. Where was the rest of the swans midfield? Have to put acid on Parker and mcglynn as well - they disappeared during gf day ( despite the hype about their season) when it mattered most!

The midfield experiment has to end. He's been ordinary the last 2 years since he's been instructed to play around the packs. He's a ball carrier and teams worked hard to break down the space that he had to run into. We should move him back into the forward line, playing his as a forward flanker and give him license to use his long kicking ability to provide inside 50's. He was really lacking in that area this year, whereas 2012 in his break-out season, he was a leading goal kicker and provided many goal opportunities. We played a different style in 2012 as well, but even in the grand final when Hawthorn choked our running space, Jetta still carried the ball.

I understand why the coaches wanted him around the ball, to give a bit of run off the back of the pack. But since he's in close and tight, he's going to get a bigger-bodied tagger that's going to body slam him as much as possible. He needs to be playing his best role as an outside ball carrier with excellent pace and an accurate long kick. We've got other players that provide the link and run off the back of the packs just as well. It also means moving Hanners out of the pack and just off the pack, hopefully as a result of Mitchell coming back into the side.

I haven't seen any 2012 replays for more than a year, but from what I remember, Hanners was always sitting just on the outside behind KJ, providing that link that Jetta was asked to do when ROK was forced out of the side. Can't expect a race horse to do what a stock horse does well.

The midfield experiment has to end. He's been ordinary the last 2 years since he's been instructed to play around the packs. He's a ball carrier and teams worked hard to break down the space that he had to run into. We should move him back into the forward line, playing his as a forward flanker and give him license to use his long kicking ability to provide inside 50's. He was really lacking in that area this year, whereas 2012 in his break-out season, he was a leading goal kicker and provided many goal opportunities. We played a different style in 2012 as well, but even in the grand final when Hawthorn choked our running space, Jetta still carried the ball.

I understand why the coaches wanted him around the ball, to give a bit of run off the back of the pack. But since he's in close and tight, he's going to get a bigger-bodied tagger that's going to body slam him as much as possible. He needs to be playing his best role as an outside ball carrier with excellent pace and an accurate long kick. We've got other players that provide the link and run off the back of the packs just as well. It also means moving Hanners out of the pack and just off the pack, hopefully as a result of Mitchell coming back into the side.

I haven't seen any 2012 replays for more than a year, but from what I remember, Hanners was always sitting just on the outside behind KJ, providing that link that Jetta was asked to do when ROK was forced out of the side. Can't expect a race horse to do what a stock horse does well.
:eek: That metaphor though.

Had ROK been in the packs the 2014 GF might have been different. He wouldn't have taken any s**t from Hawks players. I miss the Swans as mongrel fighting dogs we used to see when we were the ugly ducklings. Kirk, Bolton & ROK would be the 3 guys I'd trust most to have my back in a scuffle. Losing Jude & ROK was a big one for us this year. We may have shipped in some talented players but we lost some spine.

Had ROK been in the packs the 2014 GF might have been different. He wouldn't have taken any s**t from Hawks players. I miss the Swans as mongrel fighting dogs we used to see when we were the ugly ducklings. Kirk, Bolton & ROK would be the 3 guys I'd trust most to have my back in a scuffle. Losing Jude & ROK was a big one for us this year. We may have shipped in some talented players but we lost some spine.

Rather large understatement.... considering the GF, I think we lost all but one vertebra - JK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back