Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Would he actually be capable of playing as a CHB. Even though he is 22, he hasnt got that much bigger or stronger since his 2011 season. I worry if we play him there that he would just get rag dolled by the stronger CHF in the comp, infact they dont even have to be that strong, as a 1 on 1 player Reid isnt that good. I think he would be suited for 3rd tall role in defense, but we dont really have that luxury with the diminishing Richards.

Hopefully he hits the gym hard and sets himself up for a good 2015
Hes not the sort of player you could have on a stay at home monster like cloke or hawkins. I do think he'd be alright on players like kennedy, n riewoldt, carlisle or pav who are the more athletic less strong forwards. One thing in his favor is he'll never have to play on buddy.

Hes not the sort of player you could have on a stay at home monster like cloke or hawkins. I do think he'd be alright on players like kennedy, n riewoldt, carlisle or pav who are the more athletic less strong forwards. One thing in his favor is he'll never have to play on buddy.
To be honest i have my doubts if he could even match it with those athletic types, throughout his whole career he hasnt won too many 1 on 1 contests even against 3rd tall defenders. Maybe the coaches are misusing him, maybe he needs one position, train, do pre season gym etc just to play for that particular position

To be honest i have my doubts if he could even match it with those athletic types, throughout his whole career he hasnt won too many 1 on 1 contests even against 3rd tall defenders. Maybe the coaches are misusing him, maybe he needs one position, train, do pre season gym etc just to play for that particular position

Definitely think Reid is an option at least worth experimenting at CHB. Reg Grundy would still take the monster stay at home forwards (Hawkins, Walker, Casboult) but Reid is the right size and athleticism to play CHB and he doesn't have a clearly identified role in the front half. Tippett and Franklin have usurped his role. That's why Reid has looked lost, he's been worried about getting in Tippett and Bud's way and doesn't seem to know his role. With a clearly defined role at CHB it could be the making of him. He's definitely a talented player.

ha, just realised I started this thread in June 2011, back when he and Jesse White were our forward hopes. I don't think Tippet and Franklin would have been brought in, had the coaching staff had full faith in Reid and White, at that time. Alot has changed since then. White was a spud. Reid is not. He is still evolving. I think 2015 will see him cement his spot. As someone has already said, he has done what has been asked of him by coaches. He is still in our best 22 for mine.

Would he actually be capable of playing as a CHB. Even though he is 22, he hasnt got that much bigger or stronger since his 2011 season. I worry if we play him there that he would just get rag dolled by the stronger CHF in the comp, infact they dont even have to be that strong, as a 1 on 1 player Reid isnt that good. I think he would be suited for 3rd tall role in defense, but we dont really have that luxury with the diminishing Richards.

Hopefully he hits the gym hard and sets himself up for a good 2015
His brother has a similar physique and he goes ok. (When he's not injured).

95KG , could easily put on a few more KG and keep his athleticism.

B Reid sits at 102kg
His brother has a similar physique and he goes ok. (When he's not injured).

Yeah i see the numbers
195cm and 95kg

But he has barely put on any muscle or gotten stronger since 2011. Ben at least has the strength.
The conditioning guy needs the spend the whole pre season with him, and improve his core strength or do something different cause this slowly slowly approach he is taken isnt working.

Seriously what was he doing in 2013, when he missed most of the season with a couple leg injuries, surely could have worked on his upper body

S Reid - 196cm 95kg. Games 76

J Carlisle - 198cm 98kg. Games 68

Both are 22 ( born a couple of months apart in 1991 ) and very similar players imo.

Always compared these 2 against each other from when they both started.

I would say Reid had him early but Carlisle in front atm by some way even though he had a poor start to the year when first moved forward but they keep backing him in and it turned for him. Lets do this with Sam at CHB

Piss the decoy 3rd tall role off and send him to CHB and back him in much like Carlisle , put on a few kg and give him a position to own if capable like earlier days when he showed more .
To worried about getting Tippetts/Buddys way

Last edited:
Even if he doesn't, still plenty of time.
After all McGlynn picked up the 2014 Most improved Award at 29 years of age.
I think we should give all of our players 7 year extensions to make sure we don't miss out on their potential future improvement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm torn here. alot of hype surrounding the guy early on, he's on a decent contract atm, but really hasnt managed anything to date.

i can't even recall a solid game he's played. it's more a few good passages of play mixed in with a whole bunch of dropped marks.

add to that he's injury prone and rarely has a decent run of games.

i hope a move to the backline will kick start his career, but im not convinced hes got the body for that either.

i didn't mean this to be a Reid bashing, but i guess I'm just disappointed how he's gone so far.

he appears to be a role player moreso than a key component, but just doesn't have much of an impact on games.

your thoughts? will Reid come good?

It all depends on his body. If he can stay fit, train properly and string a number of games together he will be a gun! At the moment he hasn't got the confidence in his body and his game.

I have a feeling he's going to be like his brother and just constantly have soft tissue, knee and ankle injuries which is a real shame. He's still young and I think he has all the attributes, just needs his body to hold up.

Um i honestly don't know Reid now entering his 5th season needs to start imposing himself to come close to justifying his ludicrous contract(we ****ed up there in hindsight badly)

Cause at the moment he is not even a role player he is a nothing player just drifting along in a game.

See what happens in 2015.

He has played a handful of quality games, in danger of being nothing more than overhype.

Beat up on the lions a few times, 2012 grand final was handy deserved his medal and thats one his better efforts still nothing special

Just because some guys came good like say hawkins at the cats doesnt mean reid will

Put him to chb

He was worth his contract at the time. He hasn't come along leaps and bounds since, and it happens all the time to a lot of players. He'll come good but it'll take longer than we wanted it to. Since he did his shoulder 2 season ago against North he just hasn't been the same.

Nah no way man not 5yrs @ 500k why even sign him up for that long was a skinny CHF just learning the position wasn't showing any signs of stardom yet.

People blame Tippett/Buddy contracts for squeezed out players but rarely bring up Reid contract.

Jesse White the 2nd?

I believe we are in the process of developing future players for Collingwood.
Armstrong, White..................perhaps Reid?

All jokes aside though, the poor bugger can't stay fit.
He hasn't had a good run injury free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back