MightyDons4's 2014 phantom draft

I have the Saints choosing Ramsey later on and also strongly believe they will choose a fwd/mid and a tall fwd with 21&22
And GWS don't take any young key defender, the biggest hole on their list. If GWS did that draft I would be completely surprised.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
And GWS don't take any young key defender, the biggest hole on their list. If GWS did that draft I would be completely surprised.
Depends how it plays out on draft day. GWS could get Laverde with 4, forcing pies to get Weller, then if Mlebourne skip on Lever they can pick him up at 6 and wright at 7. However if Melbourne go for Lever at 3, then I'd expect GWS to turn their attention to Oscar McDonald (underrated).

Depends how it plays out on draft day. GWS could get Laverde with 4, forcing pies to get Weller, then if Mlebourne skip on Lever they can pick him up at 6 and wright at 7. However if Melbourne go for Lever at 3, then I'd expect GWS to turn their attention to Oscar McDonald (underrated).
Again, why get a B-Grade defender when you can get an A-Grade one?

I can definitely see Melbourne taking a key defender early.

They sooner they upgrade Colin Garland and Lynden Dunn the better off they will be.

Both those guys seem more attributed to playing on 3rd falls than key forwards
They have McDonald and Frost to build on. Up forward is probably a bigger need (with Hogan and Fitzpatrick). Wouldn't be surprised to see them take Wright to partner Hogan tbh.

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
Although we're late in the draft, I expect our recent trend of drafting to fill a need will continue. We'll pick up KPD's and rucks late in the draft / rookie draft, it's the glaring depth deficiency on our list.
Trengove, Carlisle, Hombsch, Jonas, Clurey?

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
Trengove, Carlile, Hombsch and Jonas are all best 22, meaning that we only have Clurey as depth, I'd prefer to have a second KPD in the SANFL.
Fair enough, but that's more of a team structure problem I think, rather than a depth issue.

Playing 4 KPDs is a luxury most teams don't do.
We're hard to define in that sense as Jonas can match up on small, medium and tall forwards. For instance, in the Prelim against the Hawks he kept Breust goalless. Trengove, Carlile and Hombsch play as genuine KPD's, and Jonas matches up on opponents as needed.

Still, Port has 4 genuine KPD and O'Shea, Jonas and when he swings back Westoff can play KPD.
And if Trengove / Carlile go down, and are replaced by O'Shea and Jonas as genuine KPD's, we lose our best intercept mark and our best defender of smalls. I would much prefer to keep O'Shea and Jonas in their best roles, and bring in Clurey / TBD.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
And if Trengove / Carlile go down, and are replaced by O'Shea and Jonas as genuine KPD's, we lose our best intercept mark and our best defender of smalls. I would much prefer to keep O'Shea and Jonas in their best roles, and bring in Clurey / TBD.
Even if they went down, Hombsch, O'Shea and Clurey would play as key defenders and Jonas would play his normal role.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
If you're hell bent on getting a KPD, I'd suggest Nick Jackson in the RD

I want us to take Jackson so badly.

He'll be a fantastic pickup for whoever gets him IMO. Great skills and decision making for a big man and reads the play really well.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
I want us to take Jackson so badly.

He'll be a fantastic pickup for whoever gets him IMO. Great skills and decision making for a big man and reads the play really well.
Would be an absolute steal for you guys in the rookie draft, I'm hoping Deluca-Cardillo/Anderson are available at our pick.

Because the combination of Duggan and McDonald is better than Durdin/Goddard/Marckback and Mckenzie
Is it though? Who says McDonald will last to their 2nd pick anyway? Think about it for a second. Carlton and St. Kilda both need a young key defender as well, nabbing McDonald at 19, 21 or 22 is a big possibility. Why take a risk on getting the 5th best key defender in the draft at a later pick when you can get the 2nd best earlier? It's a massive gamble in a key are that a club's got deficiencies in. It would have been like Essendon taking Daniel Rich ahead of Michael Hurley in 2007 and hoping that Trengove lasted until their second pick, which he didn't.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Mick Malthouse didn't like Jeff would he like Jarrod?

Back