Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you to everyone who signed the petition for Fairness and Transparency in the AFL – it is now closing in on 900 signatures which I think is a great effort - but this is only the beginning.

Below are the email addresses for the marketing and brand managers for most of the 30 AFL commercial partners (there’s about 8 that I’m unsure of which might bounce back):

Toyota, Carlton Draught, NAB, Coca Cola, Gatorade, Coles, Bunnings, TAB.com.au, Virgin Australia, HostPlus, OPSM, Mars, Australia Post, Hungry Jacks, Origin, Tissot, Radiant, Four‘n Twenty, Bailey Ladders, GIO, Gillette, Lifebroker, Weet-Bix, Swisse, Coates hire, Treasury Wine Estates, Accor Hotels, Sherrin, GMHBA Health Insurance, City of Melbourne, Tupperware, Obela, Elastoplast

Once again please share this post as widely as possible; 900 emails x 30 sponsors will be hard to ignore.

I urge everyone to please be articulate and polite in your emails: remember that these people are not responsible for the AFL’s decision and in many cases may not even be aware of it.

Rants about Victorian bias/Eddie McGuire are probably not helpful – I think that focussing on the AFL’s abuse of power/lack of transparency and the effect that this has on the perception of the AFL’s associated brands is likely to be more effective. Explaining that you are boycotting their products and services and encouraging others to do the same probably won’t hurt either.

As per the above, I would encourage people to write their own content, but if you would prefer you can also feel free to use the form letter below:

Good afternoon,

I would like to voice my concerns regarding the AFL’s recent decision to ban the Sydney Swans from trading in players for two years. On October 9th 2014 the official AFL website reported that the AFL had advised the Swans that they were banned from trading in players for 2 years. Failure to comply with this ban would result in the immediate removal of COLA, which would in turn result in the Swans exceeding their salary cap and facing further sanctions. This ban was not a result of the Swans breaking any league rules and has no precedent in AFL history. As such it is now clear there are insufficient checks and balances in place to prevent private agendas from driving league policies.

Furthermore, as a corporate partner of the AFL I feel that this decision reflects poorly on your own organization and I will be boycotting all products and services offered by your company until this situation can be resolved in a fair and equitable manner.

I am hopeful that the AFL will begin implementing processes to introduce greater transparency and accountability to the decision making processes that govern Australia's only indigenous sporting code.

Please note this decision has also been criticized by organizations including the AFL Players Association (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-the-afl-players-association-3/), as well as many media outlets.

I would urge your company to immediately reconsider its association with the AFL before further unnecessary damage is done to your brand by the game’s current administration.

Regards,

Please copy and paste the following line into the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) line of your email to send:

tony.cramb@toyota.com.au; emma.obrien@toyota.com.au; pod.mcloughlin@cub.com.au; thomas.dobson@nab.com.au; samantha.hansen@ccamatil.com.au; steve.caproni@ccamatil.com.au; murray.raeburn@schweppes.com.au; suzanne.robertson@coles.com.au; kmurray@bunnings.com.au; daltonm@tabcorp.com.au; michael.scott@virginaustralia.com;;ben.angell@virginaustralia.com; Melissa.Monneron@luxottica.com.au; matthew.graham@ap.effem.com; gavin.gomes@auspost.com.au; paul.tredinnick@cfal.com.au;joe.okeefe@cfal.com.au; kim.harper@swatchgroup.com.au; gretchen.fox@originenergy.com.au; lisa.sharp-mitchell@pzcussons.com; bmitchell@patties.com.au;scottdouglas@wernerco.com.au; peter.williams@suncorp.com.au; kate.barlow@suncorp.com.au; daniel.derrick@sanitarium.com.au; claremckeown@swisse.com.au; mattholmes@swisse.com.au; gerard.biddlestone@coateshire.com.au; macleann@russellcorp.com.au; matthewvagg@gmhba.com.au; lisamareedavid@melbourne.vic.gov.au; tracy.pratt@tupperware.com.au; julia.braun@beiersdorf.com

Well this article if true puts to bed any type of thought we entered a "deal" actually makes me more angry, * me dead what a competition we run :rolleyes:

"The commission told the Swans on the eve of the grand final"

"Fairfax Media has been told the Swans have even sought legal opinion about the recently enforced ban, should the AFL not seriously rethink its move"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-trading-ban-overturned-20141022-119vsk.html

Glad to see we are fighting this and not rolling over.

Well this article if true puts to bed any type of thought we entered a "deal" actually makes me more angry, **** me dead what a competition we run :rolleyes:
"The commission told the Swans on the eve of the grand final. Fairfax Media has been told the Swans have even sought legal opinion about the recently enforced ban, should the AFL not seriously rethink its move"
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-trading-ban-overturned-20141022-119vsk.html

Seems to trash Ralphy's version of things...quelle surprise.

There's some interesting turn of phrases in the article. Fitzpatrick - angry. AFL Commission - spooked. Yeah, like we didn't know. We made them angry and afraid by recruiting two top line players - who broke no contracts! Juxtapose this against Gill's latest comments on this year's crazy trade period, in which he basically stated it was up to the clubs to keep their players happy or suffer the consequences of them moving IN contract. Unbelievable.

If I were to put my tin hat on I'd say Magpies & Hawks threatened to withhold their equalisation tax money if we beat them again this trade period. The irony of this is Eddie got gazumped anyway. Shame that.:D

Thank you to everyone who signed the petition for Fairness and Transparency in the AFL – it is now closing in on 900 signatures which I think is a great effort - but this is only the beginning.

Below are the email addresses for the marketing and brand managers for most of the 30 AFL commercial partners (there’s about 8 that I’m unsure of which might bounce back):

Toyota, Carlton Draught, NAB, Coca Cola, Gatorade, Coles, Bunnings, TAB.com.au, Virgin Australia, HostPlus, OPSM, Mars, Australia Post, Hungry Jacks, Origin, Tissot, Radiant, Four‘n Twenty, Bailey Ladders, GIO, Gillette, Lifebroker, Weet-Bix, Swisse, Coates hire, Treasury Wine Estates, Accor Hotels, Sherrin, GMHBA Health Insurance, City of Melbourne, Tupperware, Obela, Elastoplast

Once again please share this post as widely as possible; 900 emails x 30 sponsors will be hard to ignore.

I urge everyone to please be articulate and polite in your emails: remember that these people are not responsible for the AFL’s decision and in many cases may not even be aware of it.

Rants about Victorian bias/Eddie McGuire are probably not helpful – I think that focussing on the AFL’s abuse of power/lack of transparency and the effect that this has on the perception of the AFL’s associated brands is likely to be more effective. Explaining that you are boycotting their products and services and encouraging others to do the same probably won’t hurt either.

As per the above, I would encourage people to write their own content, but if you would prefer you can also feel free to use the form letter below:

Good afternoon,

I would like to voice my concerns regarding the AFL’s recent decision to ban the Sydney Swans from trading in players for two years. On October 9th 2014 the official AFL website reported that the AFL had advised the Swans that they were banned from trading in players for 2 years. Failure to comply with this ban would result in the immediate removal of COLA, which would in turn result in the Swans exceeding their salary cap and facing further sanctions. This ban was not a result of the Swans breaking any league rules and has no precedent in AFL history. As such it is now clear there are insufficient checks and balances in place to prevent private agendas from driving league policies.

Furthermore, as a corporate partner of the AFL I feel that this decision reflects poorly on your own organization and I will be boycotting all products and services offered by your company until this situation can be resolved in a fair and equitable manner.

I am hopeful that the AFL will begin implementing processes to introduce greater transparency and accountability to the decision making processes that govern Australia's only indigenous sporting code.

Please note this decision has also been criticized by organizations including the AFL Players Association (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-the-afl-players-association-3/), as well as many media outlets.

I would urge your company to immediately reconsider its association with the AFL before further unnecessary damage is done to your brand by the game’s current administration.

Regards,

Please copy and paste the following line into the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) line of your email to send:

tony.cramb@toyota.com.au; emma.obrien@toyota.com.au; pod.mcloughlin@cub.com.au; thomas.dobson@nab.com.au; samantha.hansen@ccamatil.com.au; steve.caproni@ccamatil.com.au; murray.raeburn@schweppes.com.au; suzanne.robertson@coles.com.au; kmurray@bunnings.com.au; daltonm@tabcorp.com.au; michael.scott@virginaustralia.com;;ben.angell@virginaustralia.com; Melissa.Monneron@luxottica.com.au; matthew.graham@ap.effem.com; gavin.gomes@auspost.com.au; paul.tredinnick@cfal.com.au;joe.okeefe@cfal.com.au; kim.harper@swatchgroup.com.au; gretchen.fox@originenergy.com.au; lisa.sharp-mitchell@pzcussons.com; bmitchell@patties.com.au;scottdouglas@wernerco.com.au; peter.williams@suncorp.com.au; kate.barlow@suncorp.com.au; daniel.derrick@sanitarium.com.au; claremckeown@swisse.com.au; mattholmes@swisse.com.au; gerard.biddlestone@coateshire.com.au; macleann@russellcorp.com.au; matthewvagg@gmhba.com.au; lisamareedavid@melbourne.vic.gov.au; tracy.pratt@tupperware.com.au; julia.braun@beiersdorf.com
Well done for getting all this together. A small thing but complaints from any one sponsor could help tip the tide if the AFL are already nervous.

Well done for getting all this together. A small thing but complaints from any one sponsor could help tip the tide if the AFL are already nervous.
Thanks. I'm of the opinion that if we expect our team to live up to the idea of "bloods culture" then we should do the same and be willing to fight against seemingly overwhelming odds. Cheer cheer.

Good afternoon,

Regards,

Re-written text (feel free to amend further for variety)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to make you aware of the AFL’s recent decision to ban the Sydney Swans from trading in players for two years. On the eve of the trade period The Swans were told that failure to comply with this ban would result in the immediate removal of the Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA), which immediately result in the Swans exceeding their salary cap and facing further sanctions. Being unable to trade will weaken the Swans’ player list and thus make it harder for them to remain one of the top sides of the AFL.
Most importantly, the trading ban was not a result of the Swans breaking any AFL rules. It was a purely arbitrary punishment without any precedent in AFL history. Clearly the AFL has let private agendas drive league policies, at the expense of the Sydney Swans and their fans.

As a corporate partner of the AFL, and through no fault of your own, we have no option but to boycott all products and services offered by your company until this situation can be resolved in a fair and equitable manner.

Naturally we are hopeful that the AFL will reverse this decision and begin implementing processes to introduce greater transparency and accountability to the decision making processes that govern Australia's only indigenous sporting code.

Please note that this unmerited punishment of the Sydney Swans by the AFL has also been roundly criticised in the media, by fans of other AFL teams and by many organisations, including the AFL Players Association (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-the-afl-players-association-3/).

I would urge you to contact the AFL to express your disapproval at their decisions. Unwittingly, the damage the AFL’s current administration are doing to the game is also causing damage to your brand by association.

Regards,

Ok, my go.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to make you aware of the AFL’s blantant knee-jerk decision to ban the Sydney Swans from trading in players for two years to promote a direct competitor and placate a loud mouth m*********** that has so many fingers in pies, metaphorically and literally, that the Church, Rofl Harris and Gary Glitter are ashamed. On the eve of the trade period The Swans were told that failure to comply with this ban would result in the immediate removal of the Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA), which immediately result in the Swans exceeding their salary cap and facing further sanctions which in no way, shape or form is meant to hamstring the club and jeopardise their competitiveness. No really. Seriously. No effect at all. But it will.
Most importantly, the trading ban was not a result of the Swans breaking any AFL rules. It was a purely vindictive and Victorian pushed punishment without any precedent in AFL history because it is really still the VFL. Hence no precedent. Clearly the AFL has let private agendas drive league policies, at the expense of the Sydney Swans and their fans.

As a corporate partner of the AFL, and through no fault of your own, we have no option but to boycott all products and services offered by your company until this situation can be resolved in a fair and equitable manner. If you wish to get your custom back, have a chat to the AFL, who's corporate governance makes the $1 million owed to me by a Nigerian Prince I met online seem a reasonable offer.

Naturally we are hopeful that the AFL will reverse this decision and begin implementing processes to introduce greater transparency and accountability to the decision making processes that govern Australia's only indigenous sporting code. But we know it won't. So hopefully the almighty dollar that you wield, and subsequent threat to withdraw said almighty dollar, will scare the s**t out of them to be somewhat fair in future dealings.

Please note that this unmerited punishment of the Sydney Swans by the AFL has also been roundly criticised in the media, by fans of other AFL teams and by many organisations, including the AFL Players Association (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-the-afl-players-association-3/).nd unsurprisingly, uncommented on by the AFL head honchos. Tells you something eh?

I would urge you to contact the AFL to express your disapproval at their decisions. Unwittingly, the damage the AFL’s current administration are doing to the game is also causing damage to your brand by association.

Regards,[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it hasn't been discussed, however reading today AFL advised us on Grand Final Eve about the trading ban, nice timing, if this were to be the case, screw a Dec meeting, just go legal,
If there is anyone with a legal background,given those who are members have invested money into a product that we now know has been impacted by anti competitive behavior,blocking of supply, potential collusion between our direct competitors ect, as members would we have grounds for a class action against the league?

Not sure if it hasn't been discussed, however reading today AFL advised us on Grand Final Eve about the trading ban, nice timing, if this were to be the case, screw a Dec meeting, just go legal,
If there is anyone with a legal background,given those who are members have invested money into a product that we now know has been impacted by anti competitive behavior,blocking of supply, potential collusion between our direct competitors ect, as members would we have grounds for a class action against the league?

What is your loss ?

What is your loss ?
you are purchasing a product or service that needs to be able to compete on equal grounds to its direct competitor,this has been severely restricted,the product/service has a direct competitor in GWS that competes in the same market place (SYDNEY) yet has been granted an advantage ie freedom to trade & now the ability to spend more funds, (restriction) Then you look at the over all market it is to compete against, are there unfair restrictions that impact full delivery of the product, the answer to that is yes
When you are talking anti competitive behavior,collusion, blocking of supply ect it is not a matter of "loss" but ensuing consumers are not placed at a disadvantage or compromised, has its ability to ensure full value Vs competitors been compromised, my belief, hence my question, Yes the product we have purchased as members has been compromised, it's a consumer protection question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you are purchasing a product or service that needs to be able to compete on equal grounds to its direct competitor,this has been severely restricted,the product/service has a direct competitor in GWS that competes in the same market place (SYDNEY) yet has been granted an advantage ie freedom to trade & now the ability to spend more funds, (restriction) Then you look at the over all market it is to compete against, are there unfair restrictions that impact full delivery of the product, the answer to that is yes
When you are talking anti competitive behavior,collusion, blocking of supply ect it is not a matter of "loss" but ensuing consumers are not placed at a disadvantage or compromised, has its ability to ensure full value Vs competitors been compromised, my belief, hence my question, Yes the product we have purchased as members has been compromised, it's a consumer protection question.

In short no.

Long version, the 2014 product as members can't be deemed as compromised as the list was already in place for the season at the time of the ban and thus no disadvantage or compromise took place in terms of the membership and the team list for 2014. For 2015 memberships also can't be deemed as compromised as the ban will be "in effect" at the time of sale and it is a known factor not a surprise one. Can't turn around and say that something that is known is now "unknown".

As members no action.
Club could argue successfully a restraint of trade.

Thank you for your reply folks, I have a pretty broad understanding of some of these topics but also understand it may have been a stretch regarding any member based action, but thought I'd put it out there for those who have more in depth understanding.
I must say would be great to have a membership driven action against the AFL, as we are the direct consumers, the AFL would have to be more diligent and careful when dealing with its direct end user in any public arena
But thanks again, no harm in asking
Cheers

I remember being a young lad in 1994 (I think) at a Geelong home game with my family. I was the only one in my family going for Sydney that day but I dragged everyone around to find the Swans merch van/tent. I had saved up and saved up and managed to afford to buy myself my first ever merch, being a badge and a plastic mug. I have them both to this day, safely stored away with my other precious swans memorabilia. They mean so much to me, I'd give up far more expensive things to keep them. They are more precious, valuable and irreplaceable to me than a lot of what I luckily own. The reason is not only because they were my first swans related purchases. But also the lady I bought them off (who gave me the badge for free I later realised) knelt down to my level when she was handing me the bag and said "You are the most important person I've sold anything to today because you are the future of our great club. Thankyou for helping to save it today for tomorrow."

I am a supporter. I barrack for this club with my heart and with all the passion I can muster. I want to do something/anything to help them. What I don't want to do is do nothing. Nothing achieves nothing. I think we all should do whatever we can, no matter how much impact you think it may or may not have, to help support our club in the face of adversity.

Obviously each to their own, but I'll be damned if I sit back and do nothing. I'm passionate and ready to support my club through thick & thin.
On a slightly related note, some years ago I was in Adelaide, and while passing the AFL Supporters' shop on King William St, I went in, to see what sort of merch was available for a Swans supporter.

Unsurprisingly, Crows and Port comprised the bulk of items on offer, but there were also a good number of things for the bigger Vic clubs like Essendon and Collingwood.

If I were a Swans supporter living in Adelaide, the sum total of merch available to me to purchase was

a pair of socks.

And a tie.

On a slightly related note, some years ago I was in Adelaide, and while passing the AFL Supporters' shop on King William St, I went in, to see what sort of merch was available for a Swans supporter.

Unsurprisingly, Crows and Port comprised the bulk of items on offer, but there were also a good number of things for the bigger Vic clubs like Essendon and Collingwood.

If I were a Swans supporter living in Adelaide, the sum total of merch available to me to purchase was

a pair of socks.

And a tie.
Yep... It's pretty poor over here. They still have Port 2004 GF merch on display...

This is all great but can I just suggest not threatening boycotts? I think talking about the competition being discredited and all that kind of thing is ok but I feel as though "threatened boycotts" should probably be reserved for matters that probably count more than footy. Like child labour in manufacturing or paying money to terrorist organisations or something.

The AFL, aside from a few knob heads from other clubs, collectively looks pretty bloody stupid here and pointing out the association with a product like the AFL in these kinds of circumstances is probably sufficient.

Just my two cents worth.

It's official from the ******* CEO! why doesn't this rule apply to Hawthorn?

I mean just speechless that is a direct quote!

The Sydney Swans "can't have everyone" and should accept the trade ban slapped on them, says AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

I'm speechless. It's been almost a month and this is their only comment? Just staggering. They're just asking for a legal challenge.

It's official from the ******* CEO! why doesn't this rule apply to Hawthorn?

I mean just speechless that is a direct quote!

The Sydney Swans "can't have everyone" and should accept the trade ban slapped on them, says AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/swans-cant-have-everyone-afl-20141027-3iz97.html

Polo Gill is an embarrassment.

Most of the AFL couldn't give a flying fig about our trade ban, but would I'd imagine they'd find this quote interesting;

"I've... got no doubt that it won't be long before the Giants rivalry with the Swans is akin to that between the (A-League's) Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers," McLachlan said.

So the AFL hopes to emulate the cross town rivalry of soccer, which includes a team formed after GWS?
High expectations there polo boy.

I did mention earlier there was a reason that polo hadn't spoken about our ban;
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

This article sort of confirms that he should just have stayed quiet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back