2014 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton delisted Robinson, Mclean and Lucas...

Carlton grabbed Kane Lucus with #12 right before Talia, despite them need KPPs for how long?

Lucas played 42 games over the time, while Talia is B&F winner and likely 200+ gamer

Thanks Carlton!

Don't forget All-Australian. :D:thumbsu:

I think the future for gws is watching young talent walk out the door while being a haven for older players looking to make a few dollars as they are nearing the end of their career. I initially thought gws were going to be a much better team than gold coast but I've changed my mind.

I think the future for gws is watching young talent walk out the door while being a haven for older players looking to make a few dollars as they are nearing the end of their career. I initially thought gws were going to be a much better team than gold coast but I've changed my mind.

There is still an awful lot of talent there. IMO they have done better than Gold Coast.

By focusing on bringing in so many young players through the draft it was inevitable that they would lose a lot of youngsters.

They are doing exactly the right moves now.

Their strategy was never to keep all of the top end draftees from 2011/2012 to dominate in 5 years. There is no way they could keep them all with regards to opportunities.

There strategy was to go as hard as they could in the draft and then give away expendable top end talent for future draft picks to ensure they were more balanced.

They have traded Jaksch, Wiley, O'rouke, Tyson, Taylor Adams for either top end draft picks (they have 4, 6, 7 this year) or really good established talent (Shaw, Griffen).

They will be more of a powerhouse than GC who went more of a win now. That side falls away fairly quickly when the GOAT goes missing.

There is still an awful lot of talent there. IMO they have done better than Gold Coast.

By focusing on bringing in so many young players through the draft it was inevitable that they would lose a lot of youngsters.

Their strategy was never to keep all of the top end draftees from 2011/2012 to dominate in 5 years. There is no way they could keep them all with regards to opportunities.

There strategy was to go as hard as they could in the draft and then give away expendable top end talent for future draft picks to ensure they were more balanced.

They have traded Jaksch, Wiley, O'rouke, Tyson, Taylor Adams for either top end draft picks (they have 4, 6, 7 this year) or really good established talent (Shaw, Griffen).

They will be more of a powerhouse than GC who went more of a win now. That side falls away fairly quickly when the GOAT goes missing.
GWS's development has been poor. They do not resource it like other clubs. They simply have not put into place development staff, hence structures to maximize the talent. There was analysis of this on one if the footy shows and the comparision was telling. They also discussed Miles in particular.

Talent is only about half the equation.

I agree. They draft really well and I haven't really rated the players who have left (Taylor Adams, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Wiley, Aylett, Edwards) but they still manage to get good value for them. Boyd was the exception but there are still big question marks over his head. I haven't seen anything at AFL level that's impressed me.

They've also recruited some great senior players in Davis, Ward, Shaw, Mumford, Griffen, Patfull. Imagine if they'd got Franklin as well.

The drafted talent in the team is scary (* - extremely scary):

Cameron* (AA, 3rd in the coleman)
Treloar*
Shiel*
Hoskin-Elliot*
Kelly*
Smith
Greene

Not to mention what they'll do with 4, 6 and 7 this year.

GWS's development has been poor. They do not resource it like other clubs. They simply have not put into place development staff, hence structures to maximize the talent. There was analysis of this on one if the footy shows and the comparision was telling. They also discussed Miles in particular.

Talent is only about half the equation.

Spot on. I think they compared them to the Hawks. Years of experience per development coaching teams. The difference was staggering.

The drafted talent in the team is scary (* - extremely scary):

Cameron* (AA, 3rd in the coleman)
Treloar*
Shiel*
Hoskin-Elliot*
Kelly*
Smith
Greene

Must say I've been extremely impressed with Toby Greene's game since his punishment over crutchesgate. Couldn't have responded any better. I can't help but notice him which is a lot different to a player who just racks up chip-scab possessions.

Could ASADA ban the Bomber players from September 2015 onwards? It would inflict a better blow to the Bombers and send a message loudly to all AFL players.

At the moment a lot of the players involved seem to be happy to accept a 6 week ban say as it really doesnt screw too badly with their season.

Could ASADA ban the Bomber players from September 2015 onwards? It would inflict a better blow to the Bombers and send a message loudly to all AFL players.

At the moment a lot of the players involved seem to be happy to accept a 6 week ban say as it really doesnt screw too badly with their season.

It defies belief that this thing is still going on. It also defies belief that a summary of charges against each player requires an "individually tailored" 350 page book. The whole thing is a joke.

As Kramer said "Isn't there a statue of limitations?!"

It defies belief that this thing is still going on. It also defies belief that a summary of charges against each player requires an "individually tailored" 350 page book. The whole thing is a joke.

As Kramer said "Isn't there a statue of limitations?!"

I know, I still cant believe the saga that has taken place. I would like to see the player suspensions to take effect from September 2015 onwards.

It would be a fairly decent body blow by ASADA to those players. Most of them seem happy and content to have 6 week potential ban. The punishment is meant to be a deterrent to others as well as punishing the players involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL or whoever better not back date the penalties.

If ASADA/AFL go easy on these players our sport's stance on drugs is a joke.

Given the penalties handed out to the VFL player and Amed Saad I would suggest systematic doping by a club for nearly a year (not 3-4 weeks like Cronulla) should see the penalties be the harshest ever seen in Australian sport.

If not, then we can no longer look down our noses and shake our fingers at those "naughty" cyclists or the Chinese/Eastern Europeans.

If any of these guys miss less games than Tippett did, then this code's priorities are a joke.

Go ask the Port flogs what they think about Wantfree's and syringe Ryder's potential ban. They claim there is no evidence and that we are dreaming and grabbing at straws thinking they will be banned.

Oh well guess they don't mind wasting their first 2 draft picks ;)

Go ask the Port flogs what they think about Wantfree's and syringe Ryder's potential ban. They claim there is no evidence and that we are dreaming and grabbing at straws thinking they will be banned.

A 2 year ban would really stuff up a lot of these players. Lets not forget it means no association with the Club and they are not allowed to play in a lower league either.

Given the penalties handed out to the VFL player and Amed Saad I would suggest systematic doping by a club for nearly a year (not 3-4 weeks like Cronulla) should see the penalties be the harshest ever seen in Australian sport.

If not, then we can no longer look down our noses and shake our fingers at those "naughty" cyclists or the Chinese/Eastern Europeans.

If any of these guys miss less games than Tippett did, then this code's priorities are a joke.

If they deliver a soft penalty, I cannot see why more players will not want to roll the dice and gamble.

Send a loud and clear message ASADA or GTFO.

Could not care less if it affects two of their players. In the case of Monfries I feel a bit for them as he was traded before this all broke. Ryder is a case of buyer beware.

This is bigger than petty club v club spats/trolling/rivalries. On a global scale the two biggest scourges in world sport are gambling (Match fixing) and drugs. Go easy on those who break the rules in these areas and your sport is a joke.

Could not care less if it affects two of their players. In the case of Monfries I feel a bit for them as he was traded before this all broke. Ryder is a case of buyer beware.

This is bigger than petty club v club spats/trolling/rivalries. On a global scale the two biggest scourges in world sport are gambling (Match fixing) and drugs. Go easy on those who break the rules in these areas and your sport is a joke.

Good post champ.

I agree with all of it.

Can you imagine a 2 year ban though>??? fk me it would scare every player in the AFL in a good way to do the right thing.

The other issue with a 2 year ban is that geez you would lose a lot of touch of not playing a competitive game for so long and also not having the training facilities either to use.

Might even see them for the next two years at Next Generation.:p

How can asada backdate anything? They haven't missed any games.

Correct. The talk of backdating is bullshit.

If they did deliver a soft ban, the only way I would be happy about it is if it took affect from 2015 September onwards.

I have quoted you twice. But on reflection this is post of the day. :thumbsu:

There is no chance of the players being offered anywhere near a 6 week ban! They will be banned for a very ling time - probably 1 year. Asada are pissed with dons attitude & are not going to give a pathetically light penalty!

There is no chance of the players being offered anywhere near a 6 week ban! They will be banned for a very ling time - probably 1 year. Asada are pissed with dons attitude & are not going to give a pathetically light penalty!

FFS, I would be really shitty if ASADA delivers a real soft utensil penalty. Essendon had systematically taken an illegal advantage to get ahead of other competing teams, if ASADA have the balls, as you stated, a 1 year penalty would be fair but still light and lucky.

A 2 year ban would end a few careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back