Ban the Catholic Church

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
So ban it but keep the health care branch
"The Roman Catholic Church is the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world.[1] It has around 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, and 5,500 hospitals, with 65 per cent of them located in developing countries.[2] In 2010, the Church's Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers said that the Church manages 26% of the world's health care facilities.[3] The Church's involvement in health care has ancient origins.

Riseupaustralia

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
"The Roman Catholic Church is the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world.[1] It has around 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, and 5,500 hospitals, with 65 per cent of them located in developing countries.[2] In 2010, the Church's Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers said that the Church manages 26% of the world's health care facilities.[3] The Church's involvement in health care has ancient origins.

Which it makes an obscene profit on.

Indian giving campaigners.

We're talking about Australia, not the world. Important to keep the little boys healthy.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hence why it's banned in Islamic countries like Turkey and Muslim Enclaves in France.

And there's a big difference between advocating banning an oppressive, sexist article of clothing and an entire religion, champ.

Turkey is not an "Islamic" country, it's a strictly secular country. It's had an extremely strict secular constitution that has only fairly recently allowed women to wear the hijab in universities and public institutions due to the conservative Erdogan government. For the record this along with a number of other measures were considered so controversial that the army (who consider themselves the defenders of Ataturks secular vision) were plotting to overthrow in him in a coup. Not an Islamic country.

France is as above. NO RELIGION is allowed to be displayed in public offices. That's Jewish Kippah, Catholic crosses, Muslim hijab or burka. See how this works? It's consistent.

As the OP suggests unless you want to define the constitution in far more secular terms (fine by me) then you can't ban the burka without infringing on the constitution.

Last edited:
Given the systematic abuse of children throughout the Church and the coverups they have been involved in, I believe it's time we considered banning the Catholic Church from Australia altogether, or at least ban all Catholic Priests.

There has been plenty of discussion lately on banning the burqa because some Muslim women may forced to wear them, it would be in the best public interest to therefore ban them altogther. I suggest that the Catholic Church is probably ahead of the burka in terms of destroying lives and leaving children forever mentally scarred. There are certainly more documented and proven cases of such abuses.

I understand it's not fair to single out an entire organisation and ban them just because of the actions of a small minority of their followers, but if we're going to ban the burqua (not because it's related to Islam but because there have been isolated cases of abuse related to them) then we need to extend the net further and be fair and equitable in our dealings with issues of abuse.

I wonder if there would even be a debate if BHP, CBA or any other business had raped so many kids

Riseupaustralia

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which they spend on ?

Dumb game, considering the indefensible pile of s**t you are attempting to defend, but...

a.) ostentatious displays of revolting wealth throughout the world, including in impoverished countries.
b.) Their own f***ing country within a city with ridiculous levels of overblown bureaucracy, architecture and grandiose bullshit in general
c.) Covering up scandals that date back centuries.
d.) buying and maintaining totally illicit influence in governments on every inhabited continent
e.) giving the La cosa nostra a "legitimate" money laundering option
f.) aiding, procuring, colluding, educating and hiding paedophiles around the globe
g.) maintaining the strict protocol of third world poverty through the indoctrination of no condom/contraceptive use world-wide
h.) aiding and abetting in the discrimination of homosexuals globally

and that is just on Mondays.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know the first person that I would want to talk to should I have some sort cosmic crisis is a middle aged virgin. Modernisation is the key to contemporary Catholicism.

The latest 'synod' had the conservative old men get their way over the Pope. They really dont want to change. They have it good for themselves right now. So bugger the community (pardon the pun:rolleyes:)

The latest 'synod' had the conservative old men get their way over the Pope. They really dont want to change. They have it good for themselves right now. So bugger the community (pardon the pun:rolleyes:)
That was odd wasn't it? Particularly when the boss seems to indicate that he sees the need for reform in the church. The continued issue with woman priests seems particularly odd when you consider that rules out half the population for no good reason at all. Celibacy for priests has always seemed odd for me too as I see sexuality, like spirituality as part of the human condition, I was under the impression that Pope Francis was beginning to come round to this way of thinking as well, but alas not.

Think that no religion should have a tax free status. When visiting the Vatican treasury was staggered to see the wealth there.
Can't really ban them, ban one, ban all.
The current Pope seems to be trying to make it more relevant though I think.

If we ban Catholicism in Australia do you think we should ban Islam too Jiska?
Nope. They're not guilty of mass child abuse.

Although, as I said in the OP, I'd settle for just banning Priests rather than the whole Church.

Back