Unofficial Preview The way too early Round 1, 2015 discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones for Bird
Mitchell for McGlynn
Hewett for Shaw
Heeney for McVeigh
Nankervis for Reid

Why?
1. Our improvement has to come from organic growth.
2. The kids in the 2's have done enough to warrant selection (except of course Heeney).
3. The NEAFL can only take a player's development so far.
4. Better for the kids to be found out in the H&A rather than the GF.
5. McGlynn, McVeigh, Reid and Bird are not inexpendable and do not play roles that are inexpendable.
6. McGlynn playing as a 4 foot nothing battering ram/pressure machine doesn't cut it against the Hawks & I suspect the running power of Port.
7. We need to improve our skills, we can do this by picking skilled players, this unfortunately means that McGlynn does not make the cut.

You have Jetta still in

If I drop both McVeigh and Jetta you will have nothing to write about. Whilst I don't agree with much of what you write, sometimes your perspective is worth reading and it would be a shame to lose that. :)

Swans twitter reminding me of the last time we played the Bombers at ANZ made me realise just how long ago it was. We've come a long way since that game back in 2011! From memory we won it with a controversial call not paid to the Bombers for in the back against Bolton I believe?

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Jones for Bird
Mitchell for McGlynn
Hewett for Shaw
Heeney for McVeigh
Nankervis for Reid

Why?
2. The kids in the 2's have done enough to warrant selection (except of course Heeney).
5. McGlynn, McVeigh, Reid and Bird are not inexpendable and do not play roles that are inexpendable.
6. McGlynn playing as a 4 foot nothing battering ram/pressure machine doesn't cut it against the Hawks & I suspect the running power of Port.
7. We need to improve our skills, we can do this by picking skilled players, this unfortunately means that McGlynn does not make the cut.

If I drop both McVeigh and Jetta you will have nothing to write about. Whilst I don't agree with much of what you write, sometimes your perspective is worth reading and it would be a shame to lose that. :)
The feeling is mutual, also I would find someone else, might even be Shaw who should have retired

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Jones for Bird
Mitchell for McGlynn
Hewett for Shaw
Heeney for McVeigh
Nankervis for Reid

Why?

2015 really has to be a season of renewal. We really need to get games into our younger players like Mitchell, Heeney, Jones and at least one of our young ruckman. I also think that Aliir Aliir and X.Richards needs to play at least 15 games between them in 2015. We actually need to play both of them (not at the same time) as we need to find out what they can do at an AFL level very quickly.

I am still struggling to work out how certain people are equating a game against the druggies as proof positive we are the AFL's love child. Still whatever floats your boat and if the internet wasn't invented for asshattery it should have been.

You have Jetta still in

We need some speed on the outside. Yes Jetta was as soft as a marshmellow in the GF (he wasn't alone) but we need him. I hope we play him in his old role where he was in AA form though!

Bombers have liked Round 1 the last few years. Big wins for them in Round 1.

Round 1 hasn't been kind to us in recent years, but we generally start slow every season.

Could be a danger game but not if the Bombers get half their team suspended.

Swans by 33

Buddy also loves his customary 8+ goals against Essendon lol...where is the Cale Hooker vid when I need it lol

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans twitter reminding me of the last time we played the Bombers at ANZ made me realise just how long ago it was. We've come a long way since that game back in 2011! From memory we won it with a controversial call not paid to the Bombers for in the back against Bolton I believe?

Good memory! Was an interesting start to Horse's coaching career, a draw against Melbourne in Round 1 followed by a 5-point thriller. It's impossible to believe that we won a flag the following year with essentially the same team.

Jones for Bird
Mitchell for McGlynn
Hewett for Shaw
Heeney for McVeigh
Nankervis for Reid

Why?

McGlynn was one of the hardest working players on our list this year. He transformed himself into a pressure act machine. Tackling, harassing, tough and determined. He committed himself wholeheartedly and threw himself into contest after contest. Not only this but ran hard off the ball, blocked and generally did exactly what you want a teammate to do. His pressure acts alone should be reason enough to warrant a place in the side... You can't teach passion and commitment after all.

McGlynn was one of the hardest working players on our list this year. He transformed himself into a pressure act machine. Tackling, harassing, tough and determined. He committed himself wholeheartedly and threw himself into contest after contest. Not only this but ran hard off the ball, blocked and generally did exactly what you want a teammate to do. His pressure acts alone should be reason enough to warrant a place in the side... You can't teach passion and commitment after all.

True, but he needs to go to the forward line. We can't have him in the midfield, he doesn't get the ball enough. Put Heeney/Hewett/Jones/Mitchell in the middle.

True, but he needs to go to the forward line. We can't have him in the midfield, he doesn't get the ball enough. Put Heeney/Hewett/Jones/Mitchell in the middle.
Ok, fair enough. I like his pressure in the middle though. His tackles tend to stick and he's certainly more of a beast playing in the middle than waiting for the ball to drop in the forward line. That beast-like attitude and hungry pressure is what his strength and advantage is. If he was to lose some of that moving back fwd again I'd be disappointed.

I can see what you're saying though, it's a good problem to have with the young lads forcing decisions like this. At the end of the day if someone can play his role better than him then he needs to move. It's possible Heeney or Jones could do that from all accounts and I hope they do. God knows we need a small fwd or two as well and that's something Benny could provide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, fair enough. I like his pressure in the middle though. His tackles tend to stick and he's certainly more of a beast playing in the middle than waiting for the ball to drop in the forward line. That beast-like attitude and hungry pressure is what his strength and advantage is. If he was to lose some of that moving back fwd again I'd be disappointed.

I can see what you're saying though, it's a good problem to have with the young lads forcing decisions like this. At the end of the day if someone can play his role better than him then he needs to move. It's possible Heeney or Jones could do that from all accounts and I hope they do. God knows we need a small fwd or two as well and that's something Benny could provide.

Don't get me wrong he is best 22, in fact he is best 18. Don't agree one second with the 'drop Benny' post on the previous page. However what McGlynn does...mitchell does whilst getting the ball 30+ times rather than 20. Honestly as Hawthorn showed it is important to have less full time midfielders, rather having people who run through the middle and provide different options. I would start McGlynn forward and Jetta purely off the wing. Stop the thinking that the bloke will be an inside/outside mid. Play him as a winger!

Don't get me wrong he is best 22, in fact he is best 18. Don't agree one second with the 'drop Benny' post on the previous page. However what McGlynn does...mitchell does whilst getting the ball 30+ times rather than 20. Honestly as Hawthorn showed it is important to have less full time midfielders, rather having people who run through the middle and provide different options. I would start McGlynn forward and Jetta purely off the wing. Stop the thinking that the bloke will be an inside/outside mid. Play him as a winger!
Like I said above, add to that we have next to no small fwds, Benny could provide a bit of fwd defensive pressure when the ball drops from Bud/Tip/Goodesy... Parker is playing the kind of role I hope Benny could. Rotate the both of them through fwd/mid and watch the pressure in keeping the ball in our 50 lift I reckon.

Like I said above, add to that we have next to no small fwds, Benny could provide a bit of fwd defensive pressure when the ball drops from Bud/Tip/Goodesy... Parker is playing the kind of role I hope Benny could. Rotate the both of them through fwd/mid and watch the pressure in keeping the ball in our 50 lift I reckon.

Ideally you try and move Parker full time to the middle. The bloke is an out and out star mid. That said your point has merit and Parker is very good in front of goals. Looking back at the GF we almost became too predictable in the middle. We had no defenders that could spend a few minutes in the middle and similarly forwards as Goodes can't do it that much nowadays. So we need to play a mid forward (McGlynn makes sense) and have a few more running through. We need EACH mid to average 30 disposals. Averaging 22 or so won't cut it.

You would think with Horse loving such a tall forward line that a good small forward would sit perfect under the feet of the big guys as we like to just bomb away forward most of the time.

A breust ( yes we gave him away ) or a Ballas/Walters like small would cap of that forward line and would create turn overs from pressure pressure. A 50 goal small forward with defensive pressure would be huge but Horse doesn't seem to rate them.

Benny/KJ to rotate in the pocket imo , not both on the ball at the same time.

Jones will replace Shaw at some point ( hope R1 ) as he is being groomed as a HBF not a mid at this point , plus we have enough mids.

If they are going to play 2 rucks surely Reid will be moved to defence but going by Tippetts review he did say that he will be playing more time in the ruck in 2015 so will wait and see on the 2 rucks and Tippett. Nankervis would be my go as he can take a contested grab and has good skills at ground level etc for such a big bloke , both Drex/Naismith are more number 1 rucks.

Mitchell will play R1 imo.

Heeney/Hewett will be putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the likes of Bird etc.

One thing our mids lack is a little bit of class/breakaway speed ( to many of the same type in that midfield for me ) and being able to use both sides of your body and IF Heeney/Hewett can step up and do what they do at the lower level well they will be playing seniors. Dam big step up but wouldn't be surprised if they did step up though.

Skills should be the focus going into 2015 as our best field kick is probably Buddy and he cant do everything

Last edited:

I don't doubt his work ethic and commitment. The same can be said of Laidler.
Against most teams we could keep the same team, structure and game plan and probably win 16 games again.
Our forward line is pretty good. Yes, there is an argument for a small forward.
Our backline is pretty good. The worry is their age.
Our midfield IMO has become to predictable. The good teams (Hawks) have exploited our predictability.
I don't buy the speed argument. Hawks are a pretty slow midfield, but they make up for their lack of speed with skill and class. We make up for our lack of skill with 'pressure' and they continue to obliterate us in a quarter.
IMO we could do worse than adopting a Hawks style game plan, for that to happen there has to be some personnel and structural changes. I don't see why we need to give up 'pressure' and 'commitment' if we introduce more skill.

Jones will replace Shaw at some point ( hope R1 ) as he is being groomed as a HBF not a mid at this point , plus we have enough mids.

If he is played in the back pocket we are wasting him.
Plays like he was born to be a tagger.
Come finals, we are going to need someone like him to start putting opposition players on their backsides before the first bounce.

If he is played in the back pocket we are wasting him.
Plays like he was born to be a tagger.
Come finals, we are going to need someone like him to start putting opposition players on their backsides before the first bounce.
Going by his development in the 2s ( minimal time as mid )and the senior games he played it seemed as though he will be playing a Shaw like role , rebounding defender and locking down a small forward at the same time.
IMO we have enough mids and Smith cant do everything much like K Beaston said when we picked him, GF showed that imo.
Tough little rebounding defender that can get inside the heads of Cyril like players

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Just two newbie players will get senior games this year. We will evolve slightly but maintain our core while the premiership window is open. Senior players are required to win finals.

Bungee has spoken*.

*This decision is final. No dispute will be entered into. Please PM any complaints to Bedford (who will treat them with the contempt they deserve)

Just two newbie players will get senior games this year. We will evolve slightly but maintain our core while the premiership window is open. Senior players are required to win finals.

Bungee has spoken*.

*This decision is final. No dispute will be entered into. Please PM any complaints to Bedford (who will treat them with the contempt they deserve)
Is Jones classified as a newbie? 4 games so far but I'd like to see him rd1....

What about XR, Aliir or Towers?

Heeney & ? To debut?

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
The good signs are I can see more players in the team than out of the team which means our depth is good.

Having said that, I think our window is rapidly closing... we might not be carrying them right now but you'd have to have serious questions about the value (if any) McVeigh, Richards, Grundy, Goodes, Shaw, Pyke and McGlynn can provide in 2016 - especially considering their salary cap allocations. I think we're quietly building for 3 years time...

With that in mind, we must get minutes into Hewett, Nankervis, Jones, Heeney, Towers and Mitchell. We need minutes into them but I have very little faith in XR or Aliir - I'd actually have liked to have kept Walsh on for one more year.

Anyway, I think minimal changes for R1

IN - Mitchell, Jones
OUT - Bird (bit harsh), Shaw

Jetta can think himself very, very lucky... if he doesn't pick up his act he's so close to disappearing without a trace

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Jones for Bird
Mitchell for McGlynn
Hewett for Shaw
Heeney for McVeigh
Nankervis for Reid

Why?

Sydney Swans- Bob Skilton Medal
1. Luke Parker - 758
2. Josh Kennedy - 709
3. Lance Franklin - 688
4. Kieren Jack - 663
5. Jarrad McVeigh - 624
6. Nick Malceski - 576
7. Ben McGlynn - 575
8. Nick Smith - 568
9. Dane Rampe - 548
10. Harry Cunningham - 520

So you want to drop two players from those rated in the top 10 by the coaches?

What I think will happen is Mitchell be considered best 22. Jones, Hewett, Heeney, Nankervis, Robinson, XR, Allir and ? will get games in the NAB thing and one or two of them will still be playing in round 1 H&A. They will have to fight to keep their spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back