Changing the Original Lions Guernsey/Clash Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

10603514_10154794165565173_8834450081659137214_n.jpg
B0rPg0-CUAAYpNm.jpg

Hmmm, indeed. Very very interesting, going by this:

Based loosely on early Fitzroy designs which had chamois leather collars and lace-up fronts, panels on its front give the jumper and the wearer an “armour-plaited” appearance accentuated further by the body-hugging material used in today’s garments. The colour-way also serves to provide a connection to our unique merged past while the introduction of white in line with AFL specifications, plus an angled keyline reminiscent of the “vee” on the Bears’ jumper of the mid 1990s, gives it a “traditionalistic but contemporary” appearance.

I especially like this bit.
This is our jumper and we’re in it together. This is season 2015 and we’re in it together. #PrideInTheJumper #BelieveBelong #BeyondLimitsKnown

I can't imagine that clash guernsey at all. The "armour-plaited" appearance, with a mixture of original Fitzroy, contemporary Bears, and a white vee? On spec, it sounds terrible!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how the lions managed to somehow include the bears in that description. Even though it is blatantly obvious that this design is purely based of a Fitzroy Guernsey with no inspiration from the bears.

Anyways... I'm not liking what i am seeing. Who thought it was a good idea to use a design from the late 1800's?

I'll reserve my judgements until it is officially unveiled, though.

If by chance its this one.....

View attachment 88643

... then the irony to me is that that is the most Bears-like jumper the Roys ever wore. Maroon with Gold/Yellow 'Vee' kinda seems familiar don't it?

However, I would be very confused if it turned out to be that one, given its predominantly maroon, like our main jumper. Unless they reverse the colors, or make the laceup parts up the middle super wide.

Quoting myself here HowYouDoin.....

That specific Roys design was ironically similar to the Bears Vee design. Well put it this way, Gold Vee on Maroon jumper for both.

Also reserving judgement to the unveil though. I like the club has put out the 'its coming' article with details, but I'm struggling to imagine what its actually going to be like at this stage based on those details.

Anyways... I'm not liking what i am seeing. Who thought it was a good idea to use a design from the late 1800's?

Can you show me what you've seen because I'm yet to see anything resembling a guernsey.

Looks a lot like the hall of fame jumper we played in down in Melbourne a couple of years back, just swapping the maroon bit for white, and the navy bit for maroon. I like it.

Doesn't there have to be a predominantly white body on the clash jumpers though? I'm wondering if they're going to go for something like a white 'armour plate' area, a blue and/or gold V and centre stripe and a maroon top...

edit: Or perhaps... white 'armour plate', blue V / middle stripe, maroon top, and a gold Lion front and centre? edit2: yeah, like that down there vvv LOL

Last edited:
Doesn't there have to be a predominantly white body on the clash jumpers though? I'm wondering if they're going to go for something like a white 'armour plate' area, a blue and/or gold V and centre stripe and a maroon top...

edit: Or perhaps... white 'armour plate', blue V / middle stripe, maroon top, and a gold Lion front and centre? edit2: yeah, like that down there vvv LOL

I'm almost certain the 'armour plate' reference is just marketing fluff and there will be no such thing on the guernsey.

I posted on the other jumper thread, but perhaps this is the better spot for it.
My read on it would be something like this (excuse dodgy MS Painting)...

88862_ac89cb37cba1158b487c844731e570ba.png

I'm not even confident there'll be a lion on there. Yellow on white overlapping like that looks a little strange. I think if you take off the lion, that's what it's likely to be

Calling it that is just marketing fluff yeah, but I'm not really trying to think of another name to call it.

Here's hoping they're not taking it literally and colouring it like actual plates of armour. ;)

I'm not even confident there'll be a lion on there. Yellow on white overlapping like that looks a little strange. I think if you take off the lion, that's what it's likely to be
Would it look stupid to have a small lion on the top right of the white?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back