Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed as we were a chance to get him next year but we wouldn't cough up 7mill over 7 years for a 9 game player:$.
If Carlton had the currency that the Bulldogs did, they'd have done it in a heartbeat.
Who ironically, comfortably accounted for the Dogs firsts last time they played.
Which wouldn't have anything to do with the Dogs' best two key defenders watching on from the sidelines in moon boots and arm slings, would it?

If Carlton had the currency that the Bulldogs did, they'd have done it in a heartbeat.
Don't need to over pay a rookie to remain relevant.

Which wouldn't have anything to do with the Dogs' best two key defenders watching on from the sidelines in moon boots and arm slings, would it?
Judd and Curnow went down that game and you still lost :$

The injury excuse game is easy to play. Anyway its ******* Jones for pick 46, its really not a trade either side can take any sort of ground on.

The injury excuse game is easy to play. Anyway its ******* Jones for pick 46, its really not a trade either side can take any sort of ground on.
It's not an excuse, I just think it's worth mentioning when we're talking about results and the state of our respective lists.

Agree with the rest, though. Let's hope Jones steps up and becomes at least semi-reliable for Carlton alongside Henderson and Casboult, and we'll see what we can do at the draft.

I reckon Liam Jones will be more than handy without the number one defender on him. :thumbsu:

Good age 23 y.o with some games under his belt, Mick should find that consistency in him.

some carlton fans are telling white lies if they say they're not just a little offended at boyd going to western bulldogs. he'd been more or less signed sealed and delivered, and him barracking for carlton (a tired carlton board in-joke that somehow, some people actually try to run with...) was the bona fide guarantee. i read plenty of anger. plenty have been more pragmatic.
by the same token, it's clearly a risk to recruit him for so much, regardless of who did it. we would have taken the risk as well if we had the player going the other way. as would most clubs. shoe on the other foot, etc etc.
jones... i expect him to start in the side, but i think that there will be times he is dropped. if he's apparently working on his aerobic capacity, that's a good start to work the flakiness out of his game.

edit: a word starting with butt and ending with hurt gets changed to offended

This. He's in effect saying he'd rather Jones than Boyd. It's the old navy blue glasses

No, I'm saying I'd rather have jones, Marc Murphy and pick 7 over Boyd on a contract that will ruffle the feathers of the rest of the team.

Boyd is a better prospect than any of our 3 tall forwards (Hendo is a gun chb but not key forward), but the price you paid to get him was a joke.

Carlton doing deals like 7 for 19, jaksch and whiley and 46 for jones is a much better tactic than "sell the farm for unproven talent" route you guys have taken.

No, I'm saying I'd rather have jones, Marc Murphy and pick 7 over Boyd on a contract that will ruffle the feathers of the rest of the team.

Boyd is a better prospect than any of our 3 tall forwards (Hendo is a gun chb but not key forward), but the price you paid to get him was a joke.

Carlton doing deals like 7 for 19, jaksch and whiley and 46 for jones is a much better tactic than "sell the farm for unproven talent" route you guys have taken.
Ummmm, weren't you guys planning to self the farm for the same kid???

I think deals like boyds will become very very common in the afl and that for once, the dogs are ahead of the curve on this. Let's wait and see what kind of deals cameron, Treloar, WHE and Carlisle get next off-season. And yes, they've all shown more than Boyd at afl level, no question. But godfather deals to secure elite young talent will be part of the afl landscape moving forward IMO.

Carlton has paid 7 and 19 for two neafl players and 46 for a vfl one. None with the pedigree of Boyd.

You make a lot of assumptions about the situation, just hoping they ring true. All this while again tying griffen leaving into the Boyd recruitment, which is false. If murphy wanted a trade Carlton would maximise their return, as we have. In essence we traded pick 6 for a prospect much better than any player in this draft.

Carlton has paid 7 and 19 for two neafl players and 46 for a vfl one. None with the pedigree of Boyd.

You make a lot of assumptions about the situation, just hoping they ring true. All this while again tying griffen leaving into the Boyd recruitment, which is false. If murphy wanted a trade Carlton would maximise their return, as we have. In essence we traded pick 6 for a prospect much better than any player in this draft.
19 is still ours..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd is also a Neafl player, plus we got 19 back in the deal for 7 keeping us in the first round unlike you.

Boyd is also a Neafl player, plus we got 19 back in the deal for 7 keeping us in the first round unlike you.

Dogs still have Pick 26 & 27.
The way the draft falls this year, not much difference, if any between 19/28 combination & 26/27 one.
At the time, I thought the Boyd deal was way overs in what the Bulldogs were giving up.
But I believe it's a really good deal for both parties.

Boyd is a NEAFL player with much much higher potential than Jaksch. And certainly Whiley. But congrats on staying in the first round. Here's hoping you uncover another Kane Lucas or Brock Mclean. Or maybe a Mitch Robinson. There's only eight picks between your first and ours.

This thread is about Jones though, so stop trying to make it about Boyd. Just so you know, Jones is the 23 year old KPF who kicked two more goals than Boyd this year.

Boyd is a NEAFL player with much much higher potential than Jaksch. And certainly Whiley. But congrats on staying in the first round. Here's hoping you uncover another Kane Lucas or Brock Mclean. Or maybe a Mitch Robinson. There's only eight picks between your first and ours.

This thread is about Jones though, so stop trying to make it about Boyd. Just so you know, Jones is the 23 year old KPF who kicked two more goals than Boyd this year.
Hoping for another Howard, Cordy or Grant. :p
FFS are you that stupid?
Ignore kruzering who wanted to let Gibbs go and get a KPP after hating on Yarran for a year or two.

Jones is sounding so good in here that I reckon we should get him back when his contract expires...

...how about Jones for picks #307 and #308?

That's not a bad deal, really.

You're bound to get at least one champion out of it!

Who has said jones will be a star?

A speculative pick for a speculative player.

This sums up this trade perfectly. From an outsiders view it was a very meh trade with the likelihood of success slightly in Carltons favour as pick 46 is hit & miss whereas you know Jones' upside & downside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back