Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

My question about yeronga is where are you going to build a building of the size needed to house an AFL club and administration. Is there enough room for such a facility?
Tunnels!

My question about yeronga is where are you going to build a building of the size needed to house an AFL club and administration. Is there enough room for such a facility?

That's it in a nutshell. There ain't enough room.

We might be able to remove the Greek-based soccer club across the road, but only with heavy artillery. Which might not be a bad idea in any case.

Surely if Coorparoo was rejected because of the flood argument, Yeronga would be in the same ... boat?
Is a new Russell Crowe/Steve Carrell consortium getting involved?

so what's on the list...
1. QE2
2. Yeronga - AFLQ grounds
3. Springfield
4. Burpengary
5. ?

I'd like to see us take over the land where the current GoPrint & Land Centre are...

I'd like to see us take over the land where the current GoPrint & Land Centre are...

Won't happen. Land > 2km from the city centre? Way, WAY too valuable to the government. The new train station will be constructed under the site of the GoPrint building and they'll be keen to develop it as a Transit-Oreinted Development i.e. lot of apartments. Basides I think it's too small for a Gabba/MCG-sized oval - they'll want a venue they can train without having to work around cricket fixtures.

An interesting exercise for somebody that has the time is where do other AFL clubs train and play in relation to city centres and is their training location considered successful.

An interesting exercise for somebody that has the time is where do other AFL clubs train and play in relation to city centres and is their training location considered successful.
Not that hard

Adelaide have a training facility at West Lakes,
Port are based at Alberton Oval
Sydney are based in the Moore Park precinct - heaps of ovals
GWS - I'm not sure
Geelong - Kardinia Park als have another facility near Torquay
Collingwood have an Oval adjacent to the Westpac Centre
Richmond - Punt Road
Melbourne - based at AAMI stadium but use Gosch's Paddock and Casey Ovals
St Kilda - currently based at Seaford - looking to leave a.s.a.p. (Springfield equivalent)
North. - Arden Street was redeveloped not long ago.
West Coast - Subi
Freo - Freo Oval
Bulldogs - Whitten Oval
Essendon - brand new facility at Tullamarine
Hawks - what's left of Waverly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only club that has had genuine success moving AWAY from a city centre (or their heartland) is Hawthorn.

Having said that, everything those bastards do seems to be successful.

Maybe two smaller facilities could be the answer. The superior Gabba sized oval in one the flood prone areas close to the city centre - start off with smaller facilities and build up over time. And a second facility (a downgraded version) with an MCG sized oval in say Springfield for practice on that sized oval and to be utilised if flooding occurs.

So, not Burpengary for reasons already discussed, but how many other football clubs closer in are there that could be considered?
It only just occurred to me that I haven't seen any discussion of places/existing grounds like Sandgate, Mayne, Grange, Wynnum, Zillmere, Hawthorne.
I am sure most can be ruled out, but are any a possibility?
And just how important is the oval? I mean on a daily basis, most training is drills that really don't need or utilise the full oval in game conditions. I know it would be ideal to have a single base to do and have it all, but we don't now, so is it THAT important. I figure the number one priority is really to just vacate the Gabba and relocate our admin and gym.

Part of the reason why most can be ruled out is that they are already being quite heavily used by junior and senior football sides. I was recently down at O'Callaghan Park one evening and it looked like 5 sides were training on the main oval and the senior men's and women's sides were due to training straight afterward.

Lemke Rd (Sandgate) has flash flooding problems.

Part of the reason why most can be ruled out is that they are already being quite heavily used by junior and senior football sides. I was recently down at O'Callaghan Park one evening and it looked like 5 sides were training on the main oval and the senior men's and women's sides were due to training straight afterward.

Lemke Rd (Sandgate) has flash flooding problems.
So the crowding issue, is that becuase of how that affects the quality of the playing surface? Our morning sessions shouldn't clash with amateurs, although I guess afternoons would be an issue.
I haven't really been to any suburban grounds for about 20 years, so can't recall the space at any, but thought there might be one or 2 that could be considered, even if we have to continue afternoon sessions at Coorparoo. Not ideal to have split venues, but that's something we already do.

I'm not sure multiple training venues is an optimal solution. If that's the only way we can use these suburban grounds, then it seems like a pretty good reason not to explore that option in too much detail. Seems like a last resort rather than a viable option.

The only club that has had genuine success moving AWAY from a city centre (or their heartland) is Hawthorn.

It is worth noting though, that VFL Park / Waverley Park was their home ground, along with St Kilda for a good 10 years before the demise of that ground in 2000. It was in that period, particularly being the eastern most club in Melbourne, even when based at Glenferrie Oval, that they had pretty much captured a large segment of support throughout that south-eastern corridor of Melbourne, so isn't surprising that they have been a success that far out of the Melbourne CBD (Collingwood, Melbourne) or immediate suburbs i.e. Carlton, Richmond, North Melbourne.

I'm not sure multiple training venues is an optimal solution. If that's the only way we can use these suburban grounds, then it seems like a pretty good reason not to explore that option in too much detail. Seems like a last resort rather than a viable option.
What do you think of 7th brigade park POBT? It is close to public transport (bus at Chermside and train at sunshine station); I keep looking at google maps to see its size there seems to be a nice chunk of unused land there behind the cricket ovals long Newman road. You could just about fit 3 ovals in without removing a lot of trees or displacing cricket ovals.

I drive past there everyday and think how un-utilised that land is (the non cricket area that is).

Definately not optimal, but if our primary (or even secondary) objective is to escape the overpriced office space and facilities of The Gabba, and we struggle to find the right place and funding now, then spending a fraction of what that will cost might be worthwhile/easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back