List Mgmt. Ben Newton signs with Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Spewsies. Can't help but feel we mismanaged this one; if he wanted more opportunities I'm sure we could have ensured he ended up at the club if his choice (with a pick in the 30s as compensation for us in return).

Spewsies. Can't help but feel we mismanaged this one; if he wanted more opportunities I'm sure we could have ensured he ended up at the club if his choice (with a pick in the 30s as compensation for us in return).
If we got offered that we surely would have taken it, but I doubt any club offered a pick that high.

We got what we deserved with this one. If we hadn't kept playing Kane Mitchell and Sam Gray ahead of him, this wouldn't have happened. Or at the very least we would've been able to get something on the trade table.

He had bugger all market value to draw a decent pick

Nah, we offered him a contract and he chose to delist himself. Only players who weren't offered a contract are DFA eligible. If players in Newton's situation could be a DFA then nobody would ever trade for an uncontracted player again.

Ahh yes thats right. Thx Schulzy

We got what we deserved with this one. If we hadn't kept playing Kane Mitchell and Sam Gray ahead of him, this wouldn't have happened. Or at the very least we would've been able to get something on the trade table.

Or maybe Newton got what he deserved. Say what you want about those two, but they maximize their abilities as players. Newton is vastly overrated because he looks a million dollars at SANFL level and people mistakenly believe that it will translate directly to the AFL. The coaches would have told him what he needs to work on, or who he has to beat out to make the team. If he couldn't do that - then I don't really have any sympathy.

Probably joining North Melbourne to replace Greenwood. Which is why we never got a pick - Norf wouldn't want to do us any favors because they laughably think they are in premiership contention.

If a player wanted to leave Port because they weren't getting game time when our 'star' players weren't performing in 2011-2012, I would have understood. But it seems to me that he's seen his place in the pecking order, and that he's behind Young and Moore in the next crop of midfielders to replace Cornes when he retires...then looked at Amon, Byrne-Jones, Flynn, Colquhoun...and he's thrown the toys out of the pram...because what he brings to the table, Boak, Hartlett and Ebert do so much better...and by the time they retire, Newton will be 28/29.

Krakouer will definitely be being picked up now you would think. Perhaps Summerton?

Krakouer quite possibly. Summerton isn't anywhere near AFL quality. Classic SANFL one-paced footballer.

Gotta wonder how the rival club sold him on this option.

"Benny, we think you're great, but we don't think you're as good as pick 50ish, so instead of staying at Port you should take a chance that no-one will pick you on the off chance that we do, or that you'll end up at GWS or Melbourne. Did we mention that we think you're a barely meritworthy spud? Because thats true."

Gotta wonder how the rival club sold him on this option.

"Benny, we think you're great, but we don't think you're as good as pick 50ish, so instead of staying at Port you should take a chance that no-one will pick you on the off chance that we do, or that you'll end up at GWS or Melbourne. Did we mention that we think you're a barely meritworthy spud? Because thats true."

Well, when you put it that way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt accept our contract. First crack in Kenny's connection with a player. Not a nice way for Rohdey to finish up.
opportunities, geelong were keen during the trade period and have more than likely been in his ear about getting a game there, not putting this on ken or rhodey in any way, newton would have known he will struggle to get a game next year and that may cost him his career so he will try his luck elsewhere instead of stagnating here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he only play 4 games for you guys, all in 2014? After being drafted in 2010?

I'm guessing he had injury troubles?

Yep. 4 games all this year.

Round 7 vs GWS
Round 12 vs St Kilda (sub)
Round 18 vs Melbourne (sub)
Round 19 vs Collingwood (sub)

..and yeah he has had his fair share of injury troubles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he only play 4 games for you guys, all in 2014? After being drafted in 2010?

I'm guessing he had injury troubles?

First 1.5 years he was injured (also had injury issues prior to the draft). Got his body right to play regular SANFL games and then eventually started being one of the better mids in that league.

opportunities, geelong were keen during the trade period and have more than likely been in his ear about getting a game there, not putting this on ken or rhodey in any way, newton would have known he will struggle to get a game next year and that may cost him his career so he will try his luck elsewhere instead of stagnating here.

Geelong may have only offered pick 73 or 91 for him - which at the time we thought wasnt enougjt, but its a waste to get nothing for him. Joins the Stevens and Jacobs club if someone drafts him. I guess if he gets drafted we get an idea what pick we could have got for him.

Geelong may have only offered pick 73 or 91 for him - which at the time we thought wasnt enougjt, but its a waste to get nothing for him. Joins the Stevens and Jacobs club if someone drafts him. I guess if he gets drafted we get an idea what pick we could have got for him.
Did we reject those sort of nothing offers in the hope of talking him into a 1 year deal i wonder

Can I post simultaneously in this thread and the unpopular opinions thread?

Meh.

We can't keep them all and even if he comes good, we wont really miss him. It will be a Hawthorn/Josh Kennedy situation, and I don't see that sort of ceiling in him at all.

Good luck to him elsewhere. Hope he carves out a good career.

He's a pure clearance mid who offers little else to the side. Think Adam Thomson.

What did we get for Thomilf? A pick in the 40's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back