Travel Air BnB

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm using Airbnb to stay in a Guest house in beverly hills, cheap as chips! Also looking to NYC, if anyone has been and can recommend someone? Just a whole apartment to ourselves would be great.
Just search for apartments. airbnb is great but just be careful some places aren't real great.

Just search for apartments. airbnb is great but just be careful some places aren't real great.
what are some things to look out for mate? I'm looking at reviews, comments, interaction with owner, photos somewhat, location and price. What are some other things that I could look out for?? Cheers

Generally, if there's been plenty of good reviews, you can be pretty confident. I used it all over Europe for my family and never had any problems. Sorry, don't have a New York listing for you.

Have never had a really bad experience with it.

I'll generally pay a little more to get something that "looks" better and more central etc. and has more reviews.

Man there is some amazingly good accommodation in Europe available on airbnb - my place in Krakow had its own sauna, two huge bedrooms, high ceilings, right in the party district: $50 a night.

what are some things to look out for mate? I'm looking at reviews, comments, interaction with owner, photos somewhat, location and price. What are some other things that I could look out for?? Cheers
Generally, if there's been plenty of good reviews, you can be pretty confident. I used it all over Europe for my family and never had any problems. Sorry, don't have a New York listing for you.
This, but you should also ask about the bed if you have specific requirements, keys, facilities as well as smoking/non-smoking. One place I stayed at in Sevilla, the host was fine but I hated the place. They smoked like crazy so my stuff and the room stunk of cigarettes, and the bed was so crap it collapsed while I was sleeping on it.

Thanks guys, look at some of the joints in Santorini for like 87 a night, you'll be blown away! Those hotels are crooks charging what they do. Is airbnb legal? I'm sure hotels hate it

Yeah I think the mayor wants the names of all the people who have rented out their apartments, as a matter of tax, city tax. It's part of the new kinda old idea of collaborative consumption. A pretty hard thing to police right now though.

Yeah thing is you can abuse ti by hiring a sick penthouse for the night then throwing an open house party (I highly recommend this) and charging a $20 cover charge.

Combined with alcohol delivery its actually perfect for young people these days.

Sex workers use airbnb a lot. I know a pimp who reckons it works out cheaper than motels.

Yeah I think the mayor wants the names of all the people who have rented out their apartments, as a matter of tax, city tax. It's part of the new kinda old idea of collaborative consumption. A pretty hard thing to police right now though.
I don't know what tax rates apply in Greece, but in Italy, anyone who sells accommodation has to pay a per-head per-night tax. A small hotel, less than 20 I think is either 1€ or 2€ per night. It isn't much, but when you get up to the large hotels of hundreds of guests, it's more like 6€ or something per person per night in taxes.

I think it's important for local tourism and local governments that they recoup some kind of tax. It isn't a lot of money, but if you have hundreds of places giving 1€/2€ for every head (say 20k tourists) then it works out really well in the long run. If you can get 20,000 heads paying 1€ tax during peak time (90-120 days) then you're looking at 2€ million+.

I don't know what tax rates apply in Greece, but in Italy, anyone who sells accommodation has to pay a per-head per-night tax. A small hotel, less than 20 I think is either 1€ or 2€ per night. It isn't much, but when you get up to the large hotels of hundreds of guests, it's more like 6€ or something per person per night in taxes.

I think it's important for local tourism and local governments that they recoup some kind of tax. It isn't a lot of money, but if you have hundreds of places giving 1€/2€ for every head (say 20k tourists) then it works out really well in the long run. If you can get 20,000 heads paying 1€ tax during peak time (90-120 days) then you're looking at 2€ million+.

Yeah I think it's 1 euro a head in most western euro hotels.. I know for a fact the radisson blu in cannes charges 1.50 per person, per night. But that's expensive. Go to a hilly sloppy village and it will be 50 cents.

As for Italy, I'm pretty sure that tax isn't going towards improvements to the city. Seems like there is no vision in Rome.

Rome is a museum... a great place to visit for its historical landmarks, but a complete city needs to be moving forward too and Rome seriously lacks that.
Can't agree more. In the tourist areas it's beautiful, really nice, but step 1 or two streets out of that area, and it looks like a s**t hole. That's no exaggeration either. If anyone visits Rome, they should spend a few hours walking through the neighbourhoods near the main tourist areas. It's a fair bit like the rest of south Italy, not real clean and a bit run down.

Florence was quite nice and the city spends a fair amount of money keeping Florence and the Tuscan region looking pretty good. It was my favourite place in Italy hands down.

I was really surprised with Venice to be honest. I know it floods a few times a year and there's thousands if not millions of tourists every year, but the place isn't really clean and you've got to wonder where a lot of the money goes. It's really crap too because some museums are state/city owned, but there's a lot of private museums and tourist spots that you have to pay extra to get into. I went over it in my blog:
http://www.justinmitchell.com.au/city-of-canals/

I wouldn't bother buying a city pass it's just a massive rip off and as far as Venice goes for tourist attractions, it didn't really rate. Having said that, it's a romantic city, so lots of couples go there, while the girl goes wooo wahha gaahhh gurrrhhaishl <3 <3 <3 :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: The guys are like 'sure, here's my wallet, leave me some' :confused:. Most of the girls I met said they loved Venice, while most of the guys I met said they found it to be pretty boring.

Yeah I think it's 1 euro a head in most western euro hotels.. I know for a fact the radisson blu in cannes charges 1.50 per person, per night. But that's expensive. Go to a hilly sloppy village and it will be 50 cents.

As for Italy, I'm pretty sure that tax isn't going towards improvements to the city. Seems like there is no vision in Rome.
I'd say it's going into the tourist trap and keeping it clean and crime free. There's nothing worse for tourism than a bunch of locals stealing stuff. Rome can be bad for that, but no where near as bad as Barcelona.

As for improvements, agree with you there. Some areas could really do with a lifting up. I wouldn't live in Rome or Venice to save myself, but I would definitely (and I want to) live in Florence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've used it in New York, Amsterdam, London & Rome. Had a great experience at all of them especially Rome where we had our own1 bedroom place and Amsterdam that we hired a 2 bedroom place for 4 of us

I'm travelling to Rio for the Olympics next August. All the hotels in Rio are either booked out or ridiculously priced on those dates, as are the surrounding areas. So I looked at Airbnb for an apartment in Ipanema. I contacted a few hosts and mentioned I was coming for the Olympics and had they decided on a rate for that time. One guy Mark, who is American, sent me an offer for A$160 a night for the 9 nights that I wanted. So I booked it in and the money left my account.

That was 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago he contacted me giving me all the details as if I was about to check in. I explained that my booking was for next August. Even though I specifically stated in my first message that I was coming for the Olympics, and he sent me an offer for the dates in 2016, he somehow was unaware. So he sent me a ridiculous revised offer (A$450 a night) and told me that if I didn't accept he would cancel my reservation. I contacted Airbnb and got them to read all the transcript between myself and Mark. Airbnb have a policy that allows a host to alter the price/rate whenever they want. There was nothing I could do even though they could see I had the right dates, and it was Mark who sent me the offer.

So my booking was cancelled because I didnt accept the new offer, and I've lost 2 months where I could have been looking elsewhere to stay in what will be a crazy time to be in Rio. I cant review Mark because I didn't stay in his place, and Airbnb thought that it was all okay because I got a full refund. But what happens when you book to stay somewhere, and a week before you get there the host decides to alter the rate, what can you do?

TL;DR Airbnb needs a policy change

I'm travelling to Rio for the Olympics next August. All the hotels in Rio are either booked out or ridiculously priced on those dates, as are the surrounding areas. So I looked at Airbnb for an apartment in Ipanema. I contacted a few hosts and mentioned I was coming for the Olympics and had they decided on a rate for that time. One guy Mark, who is American, sent me an offer for A$160 a night for the 9 nights that I wanted. So I booked it in and the money left my account.

That was 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago he contacted me giving me all the details as if I was about to check in. I explained that my booking was for next August. Even though I specifically stated in my first message that I was coming for the Olympics, and he sent me an offer for the dates in 2016, he somehow was unaware. So he sent me a ridiculous revised offer (A$450 a night) and told me that if I didn't accept he would cancel my reservation. I contacted Airbnb and got them to read all the transcript between myself and Mark. Airbnb have a policy that allows a host to alter the price/rate whenever they want. There was nothing I could do even though they could see I had the right dates, and it was Mark who sent me the offer.

So my booking was cancelled because I didnt accept the new offer, and I've lost 2 months where I could have been looking elsewhere to stay in what will be a crazy time to be in Rio. I cant review Mark because I didn't stay in his place, and Airbnb thought that it was all okay because I got a full refund. But what happens when you book to stay somewhere, and a week before you get there the host decides to alter the rate, what can you do?

TL;DR Airbnb needs a policy change

Yeah, that sucks. I like AirBnB but that's a terrible policy. I'd suspect that if you had done that booking in Australia, you could take AirBnB and Mark to court for dishonouring a contract. You can probably do the same in Brazil but understandable why you wouldn't bother.

Stayed in AirBnB in Japan, and it was great. Good prices for great accomodation in areas that were really convenient. Some obviously better than others but have been happy with my choices so far.

Have also booked AirBnBs for next year in Rome and Seville so far.

As a general rule, look for places with lots of reviews and with a good rating. Generally, they are reviewed and rated well for a reason and it shows when you get there.

I'm currently looking at places on the East coast of the US. Some do seem a little too good to be true but will risk it as even hostels costs are through the absolute roof. Any telltale signs that someone might be a bit off when booking? One in up state New York seems a bit weird as the photos looks like it is from google street view.

I'm currently looking at places on the East coast of the US. Some do seem a little too good to be true but will risk it as even hostels costs are through the absolute roof. Any telltale signs that someone might be a bit off when booking? One in up state New York seems a bit weird as the photos looks like it is from google street view.

Check the recommendations - the photos aren't always a good guide.

Used AirBNB in NYC and it did the job. Wasn't an amazing apartment but it wasn't easy to find 3 bedroom places and it was in a great location so I'd do it again.
Currently looking for a 3 bedroom place in Waikiki, would love a recommendation if anyone has one.

They took my money (all of it) upon booking. I think look above for some of the experiences had with refunds. They do have a 'policy'. 9/10 stories I've heard about Air BNB have been very good.

Stayed in AirBnB in Japan, and it was great. Good prices for great accomodation in areas that were really convenient. Some obviously better than others but have been happy with my choices so far.

Have also booked AirBnBs for next year in Rome and Seville so far.

As a general rule, look for places with lots of reviews and with a good rating. Generally, they are reviewed and rated well for a reason and it shows when you get there.
What places did you stay in, I've booked for Tokyo and need somewhere for o
Osaka and Fukuoka.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back