List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newton actually sounds a bit like Markworth - a very talented player who's development and potential have been delayed by serious injury.

Newton actually sounds a bit like Markworth - a very talented player who's development and potential have been delayed by serious injury.
If Markworth can shake the injuries and get out on the field it will be like an extra draft pick this yr.
I remember when first drafted he was pretty highly rated. He's an interesting one this yr.

Because he rejected a contract i think he can only enter the drafts not available to sign anywhere under DFA.
See I reckon the key word is delisted. Roberton was definitely offered a contract in Oct 2012, but he was delisted when he walked back to Vic.

Ben Jacobs would be the alternative scenario, offered a contract but Port refused to delist, meaning he walked and had to go to ND.

Now if Newton has officially been delisted today, wouldn't he be in the 'Roberton category'? Seems a pointless excercise if Geelong are keen but I'm just trying to make sense of the rule as its a little grey.

If we don't take Petracca he'll go number 2.
If we don't take Mcartin he could drop to 4.
Well we did say the other day (I think it was Baines) that if we traded pick 1 we believed we would still be able to get whoever we would have taken at pick 1 with pick 4 (if we traded 1 for 4 and extras).

The landscape may have changed to a degree with Boyd joining WB. We were loading up to have a big crack at him at the end of next year and may have thought we were a really strong chance, but now that he's contracted for 7 years we may be having a much closer look at Paddy, as there may not be a lot of other strong looking options for us post-Riewoldt. Seeing how much Boyd cost WB we may also be having 2nd thoughts about having a really big crack at Cameron next year, as he could cost squillions, if Boyd is anything to go by!

A lot of it could also come down to the interviews that are going on at the moment and even whether we think we're a good chance of getting McKenzie with 21 or 22, if we reckon there's nothing in it between CP and PM.

I've been on Petracca over McCartin for months though and that is certainly no different now, especially as I'm really warming to the idea of McKenzie at 21 and think he's a decent chance to be available there, so I'm really hoping we go CP at 1 and then jag Reece with 21 or 22.

Last edited:
I like Petracca , but I also have some faith in our recruiting department. ( more so than you ,.... no offense ) However if it was 2006 I think I'd have more faith in you.

2009 was not great either .

Agree that recruiting has been better but will judge our recruiting even more on who they pick 21 22 41 & rookies

If they don't pick CP and he ends up at Melbourne then why go thru charade they could have got 2 Talls in top 10
with trade . I understand club not wanting to announce who they will pick no1 though .

Proberbly not interesting but the difference between between getting picked at 21 or 22 by us is $6,515 in money next year
Next year our picks will be paid
Pick 1: 71,515 and pays match payments up to under 9k
Pick 21: 71,515 and pays match payments up to under 9k
Pick 22: 65,000 and pays match payments up to under 9k
Pick 41: 61,610 and pays match payments up to under 9k

Rookie picks: $55,440 with 0 match payments

Makes me think mav will be banging down the door to be on the senior list just so he can get an extra 3500 per match he plays, could be the difference just under 9k since that is the max match payments

For you guys who follow the kids a bit closer than some of us.
I know we should pick up some very good players with 21 & 22 but with the depth in this yrs draft is 41 pretty hit n miss. Or should that pick up a talented player as well.
I think the talent is there at 41 as opposed to other years, but regardless when you're picking up someone at that pick you're going to have to put a fair bit of time into developing them.

2009 was not great either .

Agree that recruiting has been better but will judge our recruiting even more on who they pick 21 22 41 & rookies

If they don't pick CP and he ends up at Melbourne then why go thru charade they could have got 2 Talls in top 10
with trade . I understand club not wanting to announce who they will pick no1 though .

Yeah any trade with 4 in it should have been worth doing under those circumstances.

Well we did say the other day (I think it was Baines) that if we traded pick 1 we believed we would still be able to get whoever we would have taken at pick 1 with pick 4 (if we traded 1 for 4 and extras).

The landscape may have changed to a degree with Boyd joining WB. We were loading up to have a big crack at him at the end of next year and may have thought we were a really strong chance, but now that he's contracted for 7 years we may be having a much closer look at Paddy, as there may not be a lot of other strong looking options for us post-Riewoldt. Seeing how much Boyd cost WB we may also be having 2nd thoughts about having a really big crack at Cameron next year, as he could cost squillions, if Boyd is anything to go by!

A lot of it could also come down to the interviews that are going on at the moment and even whether we think we're a good chance of getting McKenzie with 21 or 22, if we reckon there's nothing in it between CP and PM.

I've been on Petracca over McCartin for months though and that is certainly no different now, especially as I'm really warming to the idea of McKenzie at 21 and think he's a decent chance to be available there, so I'm really hoping we go CP at 1 and then jag Reece with 21 or 22.

You take the best available - that is Petracca. End of story. I'd be disappointed if we didn't...

I honestly think taking McCartin over Petracca will be the same as the Tambling v Buddy situation. And we will be ridiculed like Richmond are....surely we won't??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You take the best available - that is Petracca. End of story. I'd be disappointed if we didn't...

I honestly think taking McCartin over Petracca will be the same as the Tambling v Buddy situation. And we will be ridiculed like Richmond are....surely we won't??
Just on that do dogs now get the same treatment since they took Griffen over him

Dangerfield??

If he reaches his potential that is.
The more I see of him the more I see jab Watson, even how he plays foward reminds me off him, really solid at protecting his space and can waste the ball with some of his kicks.

Hopefully he doesn't start his first few years off like jab though or the bust tag will be thrown around

The more I see of him the more I see jab Watson, even how he plays foward reminds me off him, really solid at protecting his space and can waste the ball with some of his kicks.

Hopefully he doesn't start his first few years off like jab though or the bust tag will be thrown around

I'm sure the Dons fans don't mind that the bust tag was thrown around, turned out to a Brownlow medallist. ;) But I agree, hopefully starts well.

Think Tambling/Buddy was a little different. Rich were just put off Buddy from the many stories floating around about him being a bit of a 'wild child'. Not cos they thought Tambling was better.
Hawks took a big chance and it definately paid off.........( for a while:p )

Still in hindsight when the Tigers overlooked Buddy they probably shouldve overlooked Tambling as well. It was a double Ooooopsy that one.

Yeah, I think the best case scenario would be Petracca at 1 then McKenzie getting to 21 with us rating him highly as a decent talent that is just a year behind the others. It's a bit of a risk but it could pay off fairly heavily if it works. McKenzie doesn't need to be a superstar but just a solid 40 goal a year key forward that competes well and keeps the opposition defenders honest. We can then surround him with really dangerous high half forwards/mids which will increase our defensive pressure inside 50 and let us rotate our mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back