What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
HF Walker Casboult Thomas
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Foll Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Int Bell Carrazzo White Byrne

Geez we are playing the tall forward line for the first time in 10 years it feels! Good feeling. How things change so quickly for the 3 amigos from 2013.

Sheehan! ... Gonna tear it up next year!

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I personally think if Tuohy plateaus his countryman will take his spot.
Im actually deadly serious about him having a baby. McKay even made a throw away comment in an interview that he was dealing with being a new dad this year. You can imagine having a crying baby every night to get up for and how much that is going to affect you. You can joke all you want and say no excuses, but thats a real thing and you gotta take that into consideration. He will be sleeping better as the baby is going past 1 year old now and staying down for longer at night.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Im actually deadly serious about him having a baby. McKay even made a throw away comment in an interview that he was dealing with being a new dad this year. You can imagine having a crying baby every night to get up for and how much that is going to affect you. You can joke all you want and say no excuses, but thats a real thing and you gotta take that into consideration. He will be sleeping better as the baby is going past 1 year old now and staying down for longer at night.
I'm not the no excuses type. Zach also played most of his season with injury concerns. My comment is more in praise of Sheehan. Exquisite vision and user of the ball. He's also a good lock down defender.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not the no excuses type. Zach also played most of his season with injury concerns. My comment is more in praise of Sheehan. Exquisite vision and user of the ball. He's also a good lock down defender.
Comical bounce of the footy. If he comes on we will be elated. Certainly very promising signs early. Big unit and great kick. Especially hitting targets inside 50 which he was able to do on a few occasions.

Touhy really needed the rest this year, problem is we didn't really have anyone ready to cover him. Thats where our depth starts to become important. Thats where things start to come together. The mix still isnt right but we are closer. My only concern is as we get the mix right we will start to lose a few players to retirements. Judd and Carrazzo the main ones. Carrazzo I actually feel we have covered, excluding his leadership of course. There's no replacing Judd. Simpson hopefully can hang around for a few years yet.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
you sound just like me at this time lat year MH. It didn't turn out so well and I am keeping the lid on this year. Not a sad sack, a burned sack.
You cant do much about 2 sudden retirements and 22 off season surgeries. Youre always going to be fighting an unhill battle from there. Why dont you cross into the "cautiously optimistic" pile? We arent saying we will finish top 4. Just the expectation of finishing top 8. I think we can all agree we will feel it has been a lost season if we arent playing finals.

From 2015 onwards, i look at the teams above us and I think to myself, we dont need some quick fix. We just need to be stable. Keep the list together, move on a few, trade in 2 more needs, go to the draft, and repeat. You look at the Hawks with Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge 31+, they will drop back when that happens. Swans cant keep players like Malceski because they have Franklin and Tippett. That will continue to happen and they will drop back. Geelong, already happening with Bartel, Stevie J, Mackie, Enright and Kelly over 30 without talent of that level to replace it. Freo are set to lose Sandilands, Pavlich and McPharlin soon. We just lost Waite and we wont feel that much more than a speed bump. Judd, sure that hurts, but thats only 1 player. You see Ablett leave the Cats and Franklin leave the Hawks, both those clubs won premierships without their marquee player. Its never been about 1 guy. We will survive without Judd just as long as we have the right list.

I firmly believe we have the plan. We stay the course, keep it steady and consistent. We dont have to chase down the top 4, they will come back to the pack as we move our way up to it. It will happen in a few year, but we should expect a return to the 8 in 2015. Anything less is a failure.

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Tuohy is a better footballer than Sheehan. At this point in time by a big margin. However Tuohy has been assigned the small lockdown defender position which IMO is not his ideal position. Much better running up the ground using his athleticism and kick. He will thrive with Buckley back in the team.

This x1000.
I really see that small lockdown defender as a huge weakness for us. We continually leak goals to opposition small forwards. Lindsay Thomas for example, always cuts us to pieces. If we could develop someone on our list to play like Nick Smith from Sydney, I'd be rapt.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton

Absolutely. In the months after my first was born, I became the butt of a running joke at work from falling asleep during staff meetings. As soon as I was sitting still for more than 5 minutes I was gawn! I wanted to be doing my share of getting up in the night to change nappies, etc, but it took it's toll. The alternative is sleep in another room and avoid it all, but I didn't want to miss out.
Plus your whole focus changes. Our dogs became just dogs (not our "boys") and I remember remarking after a number of months, "What did we used to talk about, before the little bloke was born?"
You do learn to adjust in time, so hopefully Zach will be back to his old self next season.

What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Geez we are playing the tall forward line for the first time in 10 years it feels! Good feeling. How things change so quickly for the 3 amigos from 2013.
What is this side missing?
Gut running, defensive running, willingness for a scrap, an effective forward line with a recognised forward who's kicked more than 25 goals in a year, good disposal by foot from our ball users, quality recognised midfielders rotating through the middle, and a ruck man who's played a game of footy in the last 12 months without getting injuried.

Hopefully Mick is building towards the above. He's a pretty smart cookie, he knows what we need.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
This x1000.
I really see that small lockdown defender as a huge weakness for us. We continually leak goals to opposition small forwards. Lindsay Thomas for example, always cuts us to pieces. If we could develop someone on our list to play like Nick Smith from Sydney, I'd be rapt.
A couple of kids in the draft like :- (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...efenders-and-midfielders-20141002-10p87j.html)

Harrison Wigg (North Adelaide) Born 14.10.1996, 179cm, 74kg
Clem Smith (Perth) Born 3.2.1996, 177cm, 77kg
Teia Miles (Geelong Falcons) Born 2.11.1996, 179cm, 68kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*VInSaiN*

Debutant
Oct 7, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Well I'm glad we traded pick 7 for 2 reserves players.....

Boltfromtheblue

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely. In the months after my first was born, I became the butt of a running joke at work from falling asleep during staff meetings. As soon as I was sitting still for more than 5 minutes I was gawn! I wanted to be doing my share of getting up in the night to change nappies, etc, but it took it's toll. The alternative is sleep in another room and avoid it all, but I didn't want to miss out.
Plus your whole focus changes. Our dogs became just dogs (not our "boys") and I remember remarking after a number of months, "What did we used to talk about, before the little bloke was born?"
You do learn to adjust in time, so hopefully Zach will be back to his old self next season.

From Biggus things, littleus things grow!

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic

this needs to be reposted for the shear awesomeness of this post, One proud Dad right here, good on ya bigs

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
What is this side missing?
Gut running, defensive running, willingness for a scrap, an effective forward line with a recognised forward who's kicked more than 25 goals in a year, good disposal by foot from our ball users, quality recognised midfielders rotating through the middle, and a ruck man who's played a game of footy in the last 12 months without getting injuried.

Hopefully Mick is building towards the above. He's a pretty smart cookie, he knows what we need.
I reckon it has all that now except for the ruckman part. We all pray for a full season from the Kruz.

We are missing outside run though in terms of depth. We will no doubt recruit some at the draft this year. We need a Simpson replacement and someone with some real toe who breaks the lines.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Well I'm glad we traded pick 7 for 2 reserves players.....
I see you are one of those knee jerk, we need an immediate fix people. We probably should have gotten Frawley huh?

KPP dont come on as starting 22 until they are 23-24 years old. He will get games but when there are injuries or players need resting. Remember hes only just turned 20. Why trade pick 7 - if your intention is to get a best available KPP at pick 7 he is only going to be 17 so hes 2 further years behind a guy we rated at pick 5 in the 2012 draft. Thats a higher pick as well as already having been developed for 2 further years. Whiley has to earn his spot. Hes only 21 and is in that Carrazzo mould. Hes 31 so it was a great pick up should he get injured, but also as he gets closer to retirement.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
this needs to be reposted for the shear awesomeness of this post, One proud Dad right here, good on ya bigs

Ah, it's all worth it in the end, eh!
We have two boys and a girl now and they're all Blues fans, like their dad. Their mum isn't a sports fan of any description, so no interference there! ;)

Cheers! :)

Boltfromtheblue

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
We have two boys and a girl now and they're all Blues fans, like their dad. Their mum isn't a sports fan of any description, so no interference there! ;)

Key question though, if they were offered a million smarties per year for the next 6 years, would they support the doggies?

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1

Awesome BIGGUS 64.
I have a boy and two girls and they're all Blues fans, like their dad. Their mum isn't an AFL fan but loves sport. South African

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back