Traded #27: Jonathan Giles - Traded to The West Coast with pick 62 for pick 57

Remove this Banner Ad

What does he say to these players for them all to want to come and play for him?

Hird's Powers-
-Got Goddard
-Got Giles
-Got Cooney
-Secretly doped the entire team
-Once caught got the players to still love him
-Amazing Hair

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
“Making my decision to leave the Giants was a hard decision but to come to the Bombers I am really excited to get here,” Giles told essendonfc.com.au.

“I spoke to James (Hird) in the lead up to making the decision and he really won me over in terms of the direction that he wants to take this club.

“I really wanted to be a part of that journey and where the Bombers are going to go so it is exciting to officially get to the club and now I look forward to the move to Melbourne.”

dez31.jpg

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Gwilt and now Giles and Cooney saying that Hird is a part of the reason they're coming. I'm guessing that Hird thinks we're a shot at contending next year.

I also suggest that Giles does fit in the side with Bellchambers .... providing Bellchambers stops modelling his forward movement on the statue of liberty.

I think that we also got caught out for size in the backline against North so Carlisle + Hooker can take any height and Gwilt can take the 3rd tall or a Black/Gunston/Darling type.

Hird to be stubborn and send Hurley forward. The biggest deficiency in our side last year was the forward line and a hardworking half forward of football ability is what is lacking. Hurley will play high half forward, resting ruck deep and Daniher in between them. I could handle:

HF: Cooney Daniher Hurley
FF: Chapman Giles Winderlich

and

FB: Gwilt Hooker Baguely
HB: Dempsey Carlisle Hiberd

It means Ambrose and Fletch are our depth for next year.

Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Gwilt and now Giles and Cooney saying that Hird is a part of the reason they're coming. I'm guessing that Hird thinks we're a shot at contending next year.

I also suggest that Giles does fit in the side with Bellchambers .... providing Bellchambers stops modelling his forward movement on the statue of liberty.

I think that we also got caught out for size in the backline against North so Carlisle + Hooker can take any height and Gwilt can take the 3rd tall or a Black/Gunston/Darling type.

Hird to be stubborn and send Hurley forward. The biggest deficiency in our side last year was the forward line and a hardworking half forward of football ability is what is lacking. Hurley will play high half forward, resting ruck deep and Daniher in between them. I could handle:

and

Fletcher is better than Gwilt and plays the same role. Gwilt is depth.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

and

You make a ******* solid case...
I hadn't really considered the possibility that Hird might * with Hurley's position again, but it certainly is possible and has a logic to it.

I really hope you are wrong because i don't think Hurley knows how to protect himself as a footballer. As a defender you are not physically exposed like a forward is and i think that is what has delivered the absence of injuries for him this year. I don't mind him swinging forward for a quarter or so, because he runs on adrenaline for a while and seems to hold it together. As soon as he starts to flag, he just throws his body in like a kamikaze.
He also has arthritis in his wrists and shouldn't be attempting to mark out in front of his body on the lead. It would be tragic to watch him go down again :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
You make a ******* solid case...
I hadn't really considered the possibility that Hird might **** with Hurley's position again, but it certainly is possible and has a logic to it.

I really hope you are wrong because i don't think Hurley knows how to protect himself as a footballer. As a defender you are not physically exposed like a forward is and i think that is what has delivered the absence of injuries for him this year. I don't mind him swinging forward for a quarter or so, because he runs on adrenaline for a while and seems to hold it together. As soon as he starts to flag, he just throws his body in like a kamikaze.
He also has arthritis in his wrists and shouldn't be attempting to mark out in front of his body on the lead. It would be tragic to watch him go down again :(

I think after a preseason last year based on running more than weights and taking hard running half forwards Hurley can take that up forward. Not as a power forward but as a strong bodied version of Gunston. That is not as bad as holding up a pack with men jumping all over him.

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
If Fletch has signed on to play 10 games and get to 400.. I'm still very ok with that. If we get more.. bonus.. but I agree that Gwilt has been signed to be the 'back up' for Fletch.

As to the one poster who thinks that Fletcher is 'holding up a spot' if he knows he can't play all 22.. * off. Club history is made by people like Fletcher.. this is what makes the SOUL of our club.. and very rarely have I watched a game, even in the last two seasons, and thought to myself "Fletch is a liability out there"... unlike some who cause that thought a lot...

I don't care if his signing was tokenistic.. or the real deal.. whether he plays 10 or 20 games.. Fletcher has EARNT my respect to do whatever the hell he feels like..

How did you go with pulling your kids out of footy and making them play other sports btw?

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I bumped into Giles at my local shops about an hour ago. He's a huge unit, that's for sure. He was in shorts and a tank top and wasn't afraid to show off the guns. He looked in great shape considering that this time of the year players have a lot of social activities they have to catch up on. He's probably keeping fit chasing animals at his folks' property like any good country boy should. Hopefully he works out for you guys, I was really hoping that my club drafted him.

theboyslightup

Rookie
Suspended
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I bumped into Giles at my local shops about an hour ago. He's a huge unit, that's for sure. He was in shorts and a tank top and wasn't afraid to show off the guns. He looked in great shape considering that this time of the year players have a lot of social activities they have to catch up on. He's probably keeping fit chasing animals at his folks' property like any good country boy should. Hopefully he works out for you guys, I was really hoping that my club drafted him.

He a geelong boy?

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
He's from my neck of the woods, though, I wouldn't associate Kapunda with the Barossa Valley ;)
If you want to be specific, no. Kapunda is in the Light Regional Council which borders the Barossa, but to simplify it for non-SA people, I just said Barossa. It was actually the shops in Nuriootpa where I saw him...

Back