Poll NAFL - Round 1

Which jumper do you prefer? Do not vote for yourself.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always ready to go, we just had a few weeks in a row of like 3 entries so I gave it a rest for a while.

If there is enough interest (say, 15 likes from people who I believe will actually enter on a post suggesting it in the competitions thread) i'll start it up again. If memory serves me we're up to week 31.

The problem was that people felt too intimidated to enter because we had guys like Mowse, Geeky Grub and lmach destroying everyone with their professional graphic design skills. So because people felt they couldn't win, everyone stopped entering.

It was a shame. Seeing 15 different takes on a logo was always really interesting, even if some of them (perfectly understandably) didn't quite have the polish of some of the heavy hitters. The whole idea of the comp was for people to get better at making logos so it was hard to justify running it with nobody electing to enter and develop their skills.
Id like to see it have a twist every now and then. E.g. some weeks have to have a shield in some form, somewhere (this would be alright for a St Kilda comp, as the shield could be either the logo, or be supported by a figure in the logo) or another week needs a roundel logo in some way

Id like to see it have a twist every now and then. E.g. some weeks have to have a shield in some form, somewhere (this would be alright for a St Kilda comp, as the shield could be either the logo, or be supported by a figure in the logo) or another week needs a roundel logo in some way

Yeah, I could broaden the "pick a team" victory reward to "pick a topic/theme/whatever"

That's a really good idea.

Yeah, I could broaden the "pick a team" victory reward to "pick a topic/theme/whatever"

That's a really good idea.
If you went with "pick a theme", Id say have it every second or third week. That way, we dont just have random teams with a triangle or circle in it every week. Alternate between teams and themes so that each idea is practiced by everyone

But look at when those competitions were. The majority were back when everyone was only using Paint so everyone was on a level playing field and not affected by different programs
It was a split between paint, Photoshop and then a few with illustrator.

He beat people that used professional design software with MS paint. The program doesn't matter. It's your generation of ideas and the execution of this that counts. Whilst it may take a little longer, designs can definitely be just as good. The issue with people using paint is that they restrict themselves to the design templates that are in the UTT. We see the same things over and over. Variation in design is rarely seen, and all we end up seeing are recolours of templates. If more time and effort was put in, an individual and unique design could be made and would definitely get votes.

Another person that does this extremely well is SF Giant, who hasn't been here for a while I don't think. Also Carl's 12 too.

I recently made the switch from raster/bitmap designs such as my Exiles NAFL stuff to the vector designs I have been uploading in the NRL crossover and the Celtics What If? Wednesday comp. It makes a difference in presentation, but not really my execution. I'm still doing the same things, it's just easier and more flexible. I know what it's like to design in Paint against more professional software. Klim will remember the RL2 mods forum days. I started off in Paint, then transferred my designs to Paint.NET to add the texture overlay. Eventually I progressed to Paint.NET full time, which I used almost exclusively for 4-5 years, then taught myself Inkscape late last year and haven't looked back. Even if you can't afford software like Illustrator or PS, just hone your craft and begin to experiment with different tools. Just make sure you keep your designs and your methods progressing.

It's always ready to go, we just had a few weeks in a row of like 3 entries so I gave it a rest for a while.

If there is enough interest (say, 15 likes from people who I believe will actually enter on a post suggesting it in the competitions thread) i'll start it up again. If memory serves me we're up to week 31.

The problem was that people felt too intimidated to enter because we had guys like Mowse, Geeky Grub and lmach destroying everyone with their professional graphic design skills. So because people felt they couldn't win, everyone stopped entering.

It was a shame. Seeing 15 different takes on a logo was always really interesting, even if some of them (perfectly understandably) didn't quite have the polish of some of the heavy hitters. The whole idea of the comp was for people to get better at making logos so it was hard to justify running it with nobody electing to enter and develop their skills.
Could make a workshop?

No I still use paint, Like I've said before to get the best quality out of paint you just have to make your designs as large as possible. Then I just use a image resizing program to shrink the image down so I can post my designs.
Holy s**t! Well there goes any arguments about paint having a disadvantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I still use paint, Like I've said before to get the best quality out of paint you just have to make your designs as large as possible. Then I just use a image resizing program to shrink the image down so I can post my designs.

Pretty much exactly what I do for mine instead I just use MS Word for downsizing.

Pretty much exactly what I do for mine instead I just use MS Word for downsizing.
See, most newbies these days that use paint don't resize in Word like the tutorial by....(name escapes me) does.
They just leave it, which makes it look quite bad quality wise and keep it as is.

When I used to use Paint, I was very happy how much resizing in word helped my designs.

Everyone try it. Please!

Do you want these to be stickied weekly mate? Or do you feel they could get lost that way too? Perhaps it saves you bumping

Up to you man, there'll be a new poll up every 4 days (maybe more if I'm feeling lazy ;)), so I don't know if you really want to be doing that so often.

Back