Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
I've got a feeling MM didn't want him out and wanted to wash his hands of the decision by those made above him with Brock. All along MM said he wanted to keep him and Brock said that MM had said that to him in exit meetings yet the list managers who handle the trading bring in Whiley and decide Brock is surplus to requirements. Dumb decision IMO heaping the burden on the young guys like Whiley, Cripps & Bell without an old stager there as back-up or to take some of that workload in 2015

With all due respect, and trying not to have a go at you personally, i feel a bit annoyed when people automatically assume what others are thinking or planning (in this case Mick's)

Clubs have delisted/traded players before without the coaches/knowledge or consent.

The thing about footy clubs these days is that there is not one person IE the coach who just has the power to cull from the lust, i am sure The Vet, Rodgers, Trigg and others were involved in the panel regarding list management.

Also from all my years following footy, Mick is one of the most responsible/onus on himself coaches of the past 30 years, absolutely laughable to suggest that he 'passed the buck' to others with regards to the decision to let Brock go.
Criticize his game day tactics or his often brusque, angry old man media persona all you want, but his man management skills are second to none.

Can only think of two players Mick had a falling out with in all his years coaching, John Worsfold and Brad Hardie. And lets be honest here, Brad H is such a pain in the ass, i don't think any of his old teammates like him (esp from Footscray)

Mick's passion can get the better of him sometimes, but his heart is in the right place most of the time. In hindsight, i am sure he would have tried to handle Brock's departure better ...

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
With all due respect, and trying not to have a go at you personally, i feel a bit annoyed when people automatically assume what others are thinking or planning (in this case Mick's)

Clubs have delisted/traded players before without the coaches/knowledge or consent.

The thing about footy clubs these days is that there is not one person IE the coach who just has the power to cull from the lust, i am sure The Vet, Rodgers, Trigg and others were involved in the panel regarding list management.

Also from all my years following footy, Mick is one of the most responsible/onus on himself coaches of the past 30 years, absolutely laughable to suggest that he 'passed the buck' to others with regards to the decision to let Brock go.
Criticize his game day tactics or his often brusque, angry old man media persona all you want, but his man management skills are second to none.

Can only think of two players Mick had a falling out with in all his years coaching, John Worsfold and Brad Hardie. And lets be honest here, Brad H is such a pain in the ass, i don't think any of his old teammates like him (esp from Footscray)

Mick's passion can get the better of him sometimes, but his heart is in the right place most of the time. In hindsight, i am sure he would have tried to handle Brock's departure better ...
If Mick had a large say in Brock's axing he has just painted himself to be one of the most hypocritical people in football and in such a short space of time considering what he said about Waite. As you mentioned it's not just the coach who makes the list decisions and in fact he probably has little say in contract negotiations (he has said so himself many times throughout 2014). Why should MM have to make the call to Brock if he has little say in delisting Brock? If its McKay and the others who made the decision after MM and the coaching staff have said he would be offered a deal the onus should be on McKay and co to make the call to Brock. It's not about passing the buck it's more that they are the ones who know the reasoning for the decision not MM.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
Agreed DaVillaBlues . Have no idea why people are potting Mick over this.
It is not what Mick has done in the past so why would he change all of a sudden.
Most likely (and here I am speculating based upon Mick's character) is that Mick would meet with Brock face to face at their earliest convenience.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
The problem with passing judgement on this situation is that we don't have all of the facts. There's always three sides to a story--in this case there's Brock's, the club's, and the truth.

It's unfortunate if Brock feels hard done by, but it is childish and unprofessional to make disparaging comments about the club/administration/coaching in public. A more mature approach would be to seek Mick out privately and express his disappointment directly to him.

Seen5

All Australian
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Dumb decision IMO heaping the burden on the young guys like Whiley, Cripps & Bell without an old stager there as back-up or to take some of that workload in 2015

I can think of a couple of old stagers that might have a thing or two to pass on about football. They wear #5 & #6. I reckon I might put their words into practice. #5 has already said publicly he wants to put back into the game. Carrots best attribute is putting his bod on the line for others.

There's also the captain and this year's B & F winner. They've got a year or two left to shoulder some of the workload.

The head coach has a little bit of experience and apparently Laidley knows a thing or two about footy.

Against this I don't feel the loss of Brock as keenly as you. I wish him well. I've got some fond memories of him sneaking into space on the outer flank of the 'G, especially in '13, those little legs pumping him along. But losing him as a mentor, no worries, I reckon we are pretty well served.

Well, Brock's free to give his opinion now. Perhaps he should have got a call from Mick, perhaps Mick wanted him but got overruled, and Macca was the right person to call him. Who knows? It's nothing that can't be solved over a beer.

Brock's a good bloke. Let him blow a little steam, he's earnt the right.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Well, Brock's free to give his opinion now. Perhaps he should have got a call from Mick, perhaps Mick wanted him but got overruled, and Macca was the right person to call him. Who knows? It's nothing that can't be solved over a beer.

Brock's a good bloke. Let him blow a little steam, he's earnt the right.

No he hasn't, been known to be petulant with a poor attitude (remember him cracking the sads when he was subbed our earlier this year, which resulted in him banished to the VFL)

And as for a good bloke, remember his disgraceful AIDS tweet to an twitter troll a few years ago ?

Brock was merely a good (not great) player for us, who probably didn't give us the value we paid for him (pick 11)

Everyone is quick to sink the boots into Mick, but conveniently ignore 'Saint' Brockley's many character flaws.

His radio outburst was clearly unnecessary and only makes his delisting, more just, more warranted.

Mick and the club are weeding out players from our club with 'undesirable' personality traits and I for one think its long overdue.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
The problem with passing judgement on this situation is that we don't have all of the facts. There's always three sides to a story--in this case there's Brock's, the club's, and the truth.

It's unfortunate if Brock feels hard done by, but it is childish and unprofessional to make disparaging comments about the club/administration/coaching in public. A more mature approach would be to seek Mick out privately and express his disappointment directly to him.

I hate it when people come on here and start making sense:D

McLean isn't a Waite or Garlett situation where many members might be justified in having a bit of sour feelings towards them - Brock would be good depth and probably that is how Malthouse saw him - however the list is being re-generated and maybe on balance Brock was borderline and slipped. No need to blame Malthouse or anyone else. Brock should take a leaf out of Ratten's book and have made a positive and humble exit- thus maximising his good guy value to any potential takers.

Sour puss burn bridges protestations don't work.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
No he hasn't, been known to be petulant with a poor attitude (remember him cracking the sads when he was subbed our earlier this year, which resulted in him banished to the VFL)

And as for a good bloke, remember his disgraceful AIDS tweet to an twitter troll a few years ago ?

Brock was merely a good (not great) player for us, who probably didn't give us the value we paid for him (pick 11)

Everyone is quick to sink the boots into Mick, but conveniently ignore 'Saint' Brockley's many character flaws.

His radio outburst was clearly unnecessary and only makes his delisting, more just, more warranted.

Mick and the club are weeding out players from our club with 'undesirable' personality traits and I for one think its long overdue.
nice view up there on the moral high ground?

0.jpg

lost me there and then - nothing he has done since changed my mind - Brock has his nasty side don't you worry abut that - more of it ON field and during play - maybe would have delivered something more to the Club and its members over the years. Ordinary career for a top5 pick?

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

Well if some of you are questioning Mick's values and moral fibre, its only fair to question Brock's as well ..

Thinking about it more, i am now convinced the club discarded Brock more for his attitude and lack of discipline, then for football ability (think we all agree he probably had another year in him)

We have a young group of talented young kids coming through, i have no problem with Mick getting rid of a trio of players with bad habits, Waite, Robbo and Brock.

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Well if some of you are questioning Mick's values and moral fibre, its only fair to question Brock's as well ..

Thinking about it more, i am now convinced the club discarded Brock more for his attitude and lack of discipline, then for football ability (think we all agree he probably had another year in him)

We have a young group of talented young kids coming through, i have no problem with Mick getting rid of a trio of players with bad habits, Waite, Robbo and Brock.

Ehh Mclean busted a gust on-field and he was one of a few who would bleed for the team.

I wouldn't list him in the same catergory with the likes of Bootsma, Robbo, Garlett and Waite for refusing to shake hands at a NAB cup game and fooling around on twitter.

Laurence

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
0.jpg

lost me there and then - nothing he has done since changed my mind - Brock has his nasty side don't you worry abut that - more of it ON field and during play - maybe would have delivered something more to the Club and its members over the years. Ordinary career for a top5 pick?
How hard is it to shake an opponents hand before the game? Appreciate the time Brock spent at the club, but this was a poor act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back