News GWS chased Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

As for Johnson, it's intriguing, but you really need to be careful with those sort of things and not kick a valued (and still valuable) great of the club to the curb, unless he's receptive to a move. The reason being, his peers will see your club treating him reasonably poorly, the young blokes will see him being treated him reasonably poorly and future acquisitions will see him being treated reasonably poorly. And what message would that send to them? The message would be 'Look out for number one, whenever you have negotiations with Geelong coming up, because they'll send you to Siberia at the first opportunity.' It would have been a huge gamble and one that would have long-term ramifications.

Of course, the silver lining is that: a) GWS wanted Johnson; and b) we kept him. So hopefully there's reason to be optimistic as to what he can provide in the upcoming season.

So hopefully there's reason to be optimistic as to what he can provide in the upcoming season.

and from what we have seen since his move to midfield is that he's clearly the only one of all our veterans who still is in career-best form.
Kelly, Bartel, Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, their form has fluctuated but Johno is still arguably one of the top 10 players of the competition at the ripe old age of 31.

I wouldn't have traded Stevo for one early pick.

But picks 4, 6 AND 7- different story.

Stevie has two maybe three years left. Having picks 4,6, 7 and 10 in the draft will land us four possible-ten year players.

This thread is about Stevie J, not Chapman.

That happened last year. Time to move on.

Does not matter. You could have a thread about seagull flight direction in August and he would still find a way to work Chappy into it.

Go Catters

As for Johnson, it's intriguing, but you really need to be careful with those sort of things and not kick a valued (and still valuable) great of the club to the curb, unless he's receptive to a move. The reason being, his peers will see your club treating him reasonably poorly, the young blokes will see him being treated him reasonably poorly and future acquisitions will see him being treated reasonably poorly. And what message would that send to them? The message would be 'Look out for number one, whenever you have negotiations with Geelong coming up, because they'll send you to Siberia at the first opportunity.' It would have been a huge gamble and one that would have long-term ramifications.

That's what I said last year when Chapman was thrown out. And, oh, look what happened during the trade period this year - Christensen up and leaves for more cash, looking out for number one. If the club doesn't show any loyalty to its players, it shouldn't expect any in return.

That's what I said last year when Chapman was thrown out. And, oh, look what happened during the trade period this year - Christensen up and leaves for more cash, looking out for number one. If the club doesn't show any loyalty to its players, it shouldn't expect any in return.

I was (and still am) against that move, but I think the circumstances were a little bit different. Because in the proposed transaction, we'd be saying to Johnson that we value a first round pick more than the contributions that he will give us over the remaining 1-3 years he has in him. And he'd almost certainly be filthy with that. Chapman has (at least publicly) been disappointed, but respectful of Geelong's decision that it needed to start giving opportunities to the younger players (already on the list) and could say (though not necessarily agree) that it might be mutually beneficial if the two parted ways. I can't see how Steve Johnson would view moving to GWS as a good thing for Steve Johnson, since he's still probably one of the best 30 players in the game.

I think the real story of the Bundy move will come out in a couple of years...
But until then... you can cross out the move for cash...

Much like Turner and a car park…things will probably never really come out.

The REALLY interesting thing will be too see the interaction when we play Brizzy. With GAJ, each player pretty much finds him, gives the nod and handshake at a minimum and aamny hang out and have a good chat and then leave.

Will Bundy get the same graces? Or will there be very little given the rumored rifts and alleged actions.

I have no information either way but the reactions could be telling.

Go Catters

The fact is, a year on, both parties (Geelong and Chapman) have probably won out of the situation.

Chapman got senior time and we got to blood youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and from what we have seen since his move to midfield is that he's clearly the only one of all our veterans who still is in career-best form.
Kelly, Bartel, Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, their form has fluctuated but Johno is still arguably one of the top 10 players of the competition at the ripe old age of 31.
If he wasn't so undisciplined I reckon he'd have a brownlow. Hopefully he has another big year in front of him, although I am concerned about his back.

it was going to be McCarthy but he ended up getting injured in round 2 and then missed most of the year. Burbury came into the side in his place the following week but was soon dropped to the VFL again.

Burbury played 5 consecutive senior games from round 3, got injured and didn't play another game for the year - VFL or seniors.

I see you're new here (Welcome btw:thumbsu: ). Rule 1. Biggy Boy will never move on from Chapman.;)

Maybe Biggy Boy can start his own Paul Chapman thread. That way, all discussion on Chapman will be moved by the mods to that thread, and the rest of the threads can be Chappy-free.

sj was offered a mother of all deals last month, 4 years at 850k by gws
For a bloke on 700k on a 2 year contract shows real loyalty and sacrifice

And for all the bananas on this board that claim judas couldn't say no this is just another example of true geelong spirit

Well done sj

Better than judas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back