Saintly Deeds

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought of this thread while having discussion with crasha301 about various impressions left by Dippa & Dougie Hawkins after meeting them yrs ago.

So i want to make this about meetings youve had with Saints players that left a good impression..
There is enough negative s**t about players in the media so i dont want this to turn into a " i asked whatshisname for a autograph and he told me to piss off":p
But just good positive stuff about a player meeting that went well, or one of your kids having a great experience because of a Saints player.

Ive got a few but the one i'll share is about Craig Devonport.
This was back in 1990 when we were both young:D . Devonport had just become a regular senior player.
I was at a nightclub at about 2 in the morning with a mate ( as you do when you are young :p ) and i realized i was standing next to Craig while lined up for a drink. I did the old "Hey Gday mate im a Saints supporter and shook his hand" we started talking about the days game cos i remember we had won. Beat Nth Melb at Moorabbin ( i think)
Then he said come over and ill introduce you to the other players im with. The memory is a bit foggy but one of them was Steven Cummings who was in the reserves at the time. And i gotta admit the other bloke was a reserves player who i cant remember.
Devenport was a really top bloke, spoke for ages about that season so far. He walked off and left me talking to Cummings for a while then he came back with another round of drinks for me & my mate.
All up probably spent over an hour talking footy with him and he left a really good impression.
I was wrapt in 1992 when he copped that famous coach spray from Sheldon and then went on to kick the winning goal Vs the Pies :D:D:D

He had a couple of really good games for us over the yrs and even though he wasnt one of the greatest players we ever had i enjoyed watching him play a bit more after meeting him.

I was walking through brisbane talking on my phone and happened to notice Dal, Armo, Gears, and Little Jackie Steven snacking on a subway. Well I tjeought why not, and went and said gedday. Well they couldn't have been more friendly, and were happy to take photos, and even Gears took the photos of the rest of us. I forgot I was still on the phone to my daughter and she could hear me being chuffed out of my brain meeting the boys. Mate I can't speak highly enough of them . Made my day. Walked away even more proud than usual to be a Sainter.

In 2005 I packed the family up (well 5 of the seven of us) in the family car and went on a trip from Mackay to Brisbane down to Melbourne then to Kryal Castle near Ballarat then off to Adelaide then Back to Melbourne...

The first visit to Melbourne was a Saturday (Saints had the week off before the prelim) and we made it to Moorabbin in time to see them train then Adelaide was to see the in laws then back to Melbourne to watch the prelim.

History tells you that we lost the prelim and our dream of the family all watching the Saints win the GF live that year was dashed
Our holiday hadn't ended there and we had a brilliant time despite the Saints result

We heard that Robert Harvey had joined with Shane Warne and Aaron Hamill and opened their own merchandise store at Frankston.
We visited and bought a couple of things, and we asked Aaron Hamill if he wouldn't mind posing with the kids for a photo.

He was busy but he went out of his way to pose with the kids, only my camera inexplicably didn't work. We tried several times and each time the camera failed. We raced off to a nearby store and bought new batteries fitted them, trialed the camera and triumphantly walked back hoping to still get our photo. Aaron stood up the businessman he was with to pose with the kids and finally get the photo we were after.

karensmobile011.jpg

Last edited:

Back in the late 90s my old man had a couple strokes and was in a rehabilitation centre in Hampton in a bad way, Peter Everitt, Jason Heatley and Steve Sziller come down and spent over an hour with the old man it meant the world to him. One of the nurse's had rang the club and said they had a mad saints supporter down there.

Last edited:
Back in about 1989 there were ten St Kilda players outside a studio in Flinders Street, waiting to do a telethon (I think it was the Royal Childrens' Hospital appeal). They were standing outside waiting to be called in. I happened to say hi to Rod Owen as I walked past and I mentioned I was a big Saints fan. He shook my hand then immdeiately called the other nine players over and introduced each and every one of them to me. They all shook my hand and then I had a chat to Rod about the upcoming season. He was a genuinely friendly guy. I can't remember all of the players, but Nicky Winmar and Danny Craven were two that I recall. I know that Owen got into very big trouble some years later, and had his problems with his temper, but on the day I met him he couldn't have been nicer. I hope he has sorted his life out because he seemed to have some great qualities.

When the Saints were up here in 2005 or thereabouts, my wife and I went to the dinner put on at the Wodonga Raiders Footy Club. We were seated at the table and they were putting name cards out to direct the players to there seats. The one next to my wife had Robert Harvey on it. I did'nt take any notice of it, as I did not think he would be sitting with us, then the players came in, and sure enough the great man sat next to my wife. I very quickly changed seats with here, but over the next couple of hours I could'nt think of much to say to him. I had several conversations with him, but I now realize how shy he is. Ha a great night anyhow. Had photos taken with him, Lenny, and Luke Ball, all gentlemen.

Back in the late 90s my old man had a couple strokes and was in a rehabilitation centre in Hampton in a bad way, Peter Everitt, Jason Heatley and Steve Sziller come down and spent over an hour with the old man it meant the world to him. One of the nurse's had rang the club and said they had a mad saints supporter down there.
Nice story Mowman :thumbsu:

Late 1970s, early 80s I worked in a servo on Beach Road. I had the Sunday morning shift and Grant Thomas would often come in to get his van filled with petrol. He was a nice guy and we'd talk a little about how the Saints had gone the previous day.

One Sunday the van pulled up to the pumps but it wasn't Grant, it was Trevor Barker who jumped out. Barks was a hero of mine (and of many people) and it was a thrill to have a chat with him. He was happy to talk about Saturday's match even though we'd been done like a dinner by Geelong at Kardinia Park.

A good 5-6 years ago now, but i was at this saints 'rooey's recruits' training session down at moorabbin (my parents had driven me down from albury). Anyway, every player was really friendly, but it was dal who stood out as the best of the lot. Had a really good chat while i was having a goal kicking competition with him (just me vs him). Slotted a few from the boundary as we chatted, he joked that i'd given him a few tips- a good ego booster for a 12 year old! Funnily enough, that weekend at the game, dal had a shot from the boundary and slotted it with ease, while i walked away pretty chuffed.

I live down at Yarrawonga and Justin Koschitzke knows one of the local fish and chip shop owners, when I was twelve I was just getting lunch when I met him and I managed to get his signature on a bit of fish and chip wrapping paper haha, He then stayed and ate lunch with me and my family and talked to me about footy, he then drove me down to the local footy oval and had a kick with me for a good hour. This was when I wasn't very passionate about footy but ever since then I've been a saints member and absolutely love my footy. It was the event that had the most influence on my football.

Not sure if this counts but I was at a 40th last night and one of the birthday boy's mates is Gordon Fode.

Had a nice chat and a few beers with him. Apparently he was a soccer player and hardly played AFL except at his school, when Bevo knocked on his door and invited him down for a kick.

I reckon he should change his name to Gordon Food, given his current shape.

Not sure if this counts but I was at a 40th last night and one of the birthday boy's mates is Gordon Fode.

Had a nice chat and a few beers with him. Apparently he was a soccer player and hardly played AFL except at his school, when Bevo knocked on his door and invited him down for a kick.

I reckon he should change his name to Gordon Food, given his current shape.
Played a few good games did Fode.
I remember one night game at the MCG Vs in North the early or mid 90s . It was a game which Plugger didnt play. He was either injured or had already flown the coop to the Swans.
And it was Fode kicking a few goals that pretty much won us the match. Was always a pretty solid bloke but it sounds like hes been in a good paddock VDS66.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a few good games did Fode.
I remember one night game at the MCG Vs in North the early or mid 90s . It was a game which Plugger didnt play. He was either injured or had already flown the coop to the Swans.
And it was Fode kicking a few goals that pretty much won us the match. Was always a pretty solid bloke but it sounds like hes been in a good paddock VDS66.
Remember Fode kicking 9.6 at Waverley at 1 day

Just looking at his Stats might of been 5.9

In 2010, when Nick Riewoldt injured his hamstring, I discovered he was going to a hyperbaric chamber in my town. I wrote a message but the people at the chamber said they do not take fan mail. They sent it to the club and one month later, I had a personalized letter from Rooey himself. Also got a signed photo of him. I was over the moon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back