Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Judging by the comments made to me by one of our listed players, whom I played juniors with, he seems to think that Aish is on his way out. Apparently doesn't get very involved and just looks disinterested in general. I'd say a definite 85 percent chance he's leaving.
Jordan Bourke is whom you speak of. Correct? Met him the other week nice dude

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Seems a bit premature and more speculation and media beat up than anything at the moment. These stories are just too easy for the AFL media to write and for us footy fans to discuss. Nothing that I have seen seems to indicate anything out of the ordinary, and I am not too surprised that he is waiting till next year to make a decision.

There are quite a few players out of contract at the end of next season, Luenberger, Bewick, Harwood, Adcock do we need to start analysing their every move?

A year is a long time... even more so for an 18 year old. He hasn't even been in Brisbane a year yet. Moving away from home is a big step for any young man, and I believe that if the club (work) and social environment is good he will stay.

Personally I hope we sort out the new training facilities ASAP, that will be a big step in creating a great work environment. Who wouldn't enjoy training regularly with the Firebirds:p

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It wasn't so much the reason for leaving that bothered me. It was the demanding of where to be traded to. If they just wanted out because of those problems, then they should have been open to be traded anywhere, just to get away.

Instead they were allowed to chose their destination and we were forced to deal with just one club for each of them. They had only been at Brisbane 2-3 years and most had played hardly any games and they felt they could dictate to the club (and we let them) where they were going to be traded to, as if they were free agents. We won't (shouldn't) do that again.
I always said one (probably Longer) should have been put in the PSD. May not have made much of a diff in his case BUT would have sent a message.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Obviously we all want him to stay but there is a clear silver lining if he does leave. We will have 2 1st round draft picks which we can use to acquire a gun KPF aka Jeremy Cameron or Tom Lynch.

Schache It Off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Taylor Swift
Meh, we'll get Ben Keays through the academy and with a key forward, it might work out in the end. Still would love Aish to stay though.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So this is the second times talks have been put back. If it happens again he is gone really. We'll have a fair idea in the middle of the season regarding Aish I think. Hopefully Adelaide finish low and get a good position in the draft...just in case ;)

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I think the club will just let this situation stay as is for the first part of the year and then try to get an indication one way or the other in the second half.

A good start to the year might have Aish thinking about staying. A lot can happen in a few months as well. Aish might realise that SE Qld summers are pretty good at the beach with hot girls everywhere, winters are great, no media microscope and the team he plays for is improving rapidly. Or hot dry old Adelaide summer, new coach at the Crows, constantly watched and judged, southern winter. Things might start to look better up here.

In the end, if he wants to go we trade responsibly and wish him well. If he wants to stay he becomes part of our next flag.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Can we give him say a 2 year contract and then agree we'll trade him at the end of 2016?

Obviously you can't contract him for 2017 with a clause to trade him in 2016, but I don't see an issue with a clause relating to the end of a contract term.

E.g. Contract for 2016 & 2017 with an agreement that negotiations will open for the next contract in say June 2017 and if at that point the player wants to join an Adelaide club a draft pick value (say top 10) will be acceptable compensation. A lot easier with (contracted) soccer players who can have release clauses, but I reckon it could help limit long and drawn out trade negotiations. Obviously you can't say "pick 1 or GTFO" as it makes it impossible for the suiting club unless they finish last, but it's just an idea. As a club I'd want to know ASAP if a player like Aish was intending to leave as you don't want to go planning for $500k salary cap the next year etc. which then needs to be redistributed.

Anyway didn't you trade him to Collingwood? They said you would!

I think he either signs a new contract before round 1 or he is gone. Not fussed either way. The club doesn't need to be held over a barrel by a kid who has done nothing. I hope he stays because he is a very good young player. Life goes on if he decides to go back for mothers milk.

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I think he'll either sign before round one or not.
If he does, well good, if not, well we'll see what happens sooner or later.

Plenty of players sign later than this :confused:

Of course they do. My opinion of it is he will either sign on before round 1 or he will be leaving. The club has been trying to sign him up to an extension since we drafted him remember.

neg99

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Obviously you can't contract him for 2017 with a clause to trade him in 2016, but I don't see an issue with a clause relating to the end of a contract term.

E.g. Contract for 2016 & 2017 with an agreement that negotiations will open for the next contract in say June 2017 and if at that point the player wants to join an Adelaide club a draft pick value (say top 10) will be acceptable compensation. A lot easier with (contracted) soccer players who can have release clauses, but I reckon it could help limit long and drawn out trade negotiations. Obviously you can't say "pick 1 or GTFO" as it makes it impossible for the suiting club unless they finish last, but it's just an idea. As a club I'd want to know ASAP if a player like Aish was intending to leave as you don't want to go planning for $500k salary cap the next year etc. which then needs to be redistributed.

Anyway didn't you trade him to Collingwood? They said you would!
I'm pretty sure back when the mooted Tippet for a 2nd rounder clause was made public the AFL considered that draft tampering. Gentleman's agreements are probably ok but best not to have it in writing and if you tried to put it int he contract the AFL would likely knock it back.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Of course they do. My opinion of it is he will either sign on before round 1 or he will be leaving. The club has been trying to sign him up to an extension since we drafted him remember.
I don't see why round 1 should be an arbitrary deadline for re-signing for anybody. I take it you were a fan of Collingwoods negotiation tactics this trade week ;)

I don't see why round 1 should be an arbitrary deadline for re-signing for anybody. I take it you were a fan of Collingwoods negotiation tactics this trade week ;)

It isn't a deadline. It's an opinion

1368351860_facepalm-426809-2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back