Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless the AFL is kicking in, we don't have that money.

That may be why Eade may be 'reluctant' to join at this stage.
The AFL pay Jackson's salary at Melbourne fully and a significant part of Roos one too.
I don't think at his cycle he would seriously consider a contract that is at parity with his gig at Collingwood given the relocation & pressures associated with a head coach gig.

Number17

All Australian
Feb 5, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GC Suns. LiverpoolFC.
If Roo's thought Dew was the man to take the reins at Melbourne he obviously rates him very highly, he would also know him well from his time at the Swans.
I wish we weren't so caught up on this "experienced senior coach" mantra

I don't believe anybody has confirmed that we are.

The only person who has mooted that was Bluey and that was; in his words; "do they want a coach with premiership history, success? I don't know".

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
as much as i'd like an experienced head coach, i think we'll end up going with a current assistant coach.

4pm, tuesday. bolton head coach. :cool:
Aww man I had a great graphic planned for the unveiling of Eade as well.

The new Garden of Eade-n at Metricon, complete with the blossoming of Sam Day and Jack Martin

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
yeah, Bolton. Perfect fit.

Agree, I posted here 2 or 3 weeks ago, that imo Bolton would be my choice . Liked the idea of getting Bomber as first choice, but that seems to be rapidly declining from all reports.
Whoever gets the nod, hopefully its decided fairly soon,,, we need to get settled here and get going.

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So here's the overnight objective with your ever favorite son, FavoriteSun. Let me just open up by saying I am really saddened by the vitriol spewed at SugarCoat by my fellow supporters here. He has been pretty good about not responding to the drek spewed at him and has made very solid football points. I've made the same points earlier in the thread about Bomber.

The coaching panel wants an experience coach. So far all the "experienced" candidates have either turned us down or have accepted positions at other clubs as assistants, guys like Voss and Harvey. Let me be clear, you should respect SugarCoat when he makes the glaringly obvious point about Eade being past it. He hasn't been a senior coach in 3 years, and if you discount the caretaker role by Bomber, they've both been out of it for a while. The AFL threw a life line and a brinks truck full of cash at Roos to take the job at the dees and turn them around, hoping a marquee name and talent like him could do what a half dozen others could not.

All that said, at this stage I would prefer to have Solly or Lovell coach us for a year than the prospect of a dinosaur like Eade or Thompson coach us. An in house candidate who already know our players, have earned their trust and are fully aware of what forced McKenna out can be a good thing. It would 100% result in us not making the grand final next year, but it would be an important year of development for our players and we could let spend our time working on correcting the mistakes of years past with regard to skills and passion for following the coaches.

Now some stats to keep you thinking over the weekend. Here are the ages of coaches for the past 9 grand finals, dating back to where I'd assess the modern game style really started.

2014 - Longmire 43, Clarkson 46
2013 - Lyon 46, Clarkson 45
2012 - Longmire 41, Clarkson 44
2011 - Malthouse 57, Scott 34
2010 - Lyon 43, Malthouse 56
2009 - Lyon 42, Thompson 45
2008 - Clarkson 40, Thompson 44
2007 - Williams 49, Thompson 43
2006 - Roos 43, Worsfold 38.

Eade is 56. Bomber is 50. Roos 51. Malthouse 61. Bolton 35. Sanderson 40. Dew 35.

Food for thought.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Mate if your happy having people troll our board with unsubstantiated claims of people being dinosaurs then be my guest. Your bi weekly posts will be enriched with them. Don't criticise me for calling them out. He later addressed his comments which I appreciated but to come out like he did on an opposition board without facts just to.wind people up was bullshit. Extremely inflammatory. For someone who barely posts you have a lot of nerve telling people off for calling put a troll.

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How are they unsubstantiated exactly? Dude has been out of senior coaching for 3 years and by all reports in the past 3 pages of this thread are literally shades of the reasons we dumped McKenna. Lost the players, lost the plot, lost his job. Never won the big game despite all his success in turning teams around.

And are you serious about him opening up as a troll? His first three posts were expressing glee about the possibility of Eade leaving Collingwood's football dept. to take up a coaching spot with us and how bad of a move that would be, and gave some pretty good insight on his public comments both to the team and to the media. Hardly trolling. Hell I think anytime an opposition poster shows up here and doesn't just gush about our club, or try to impart a little football knowledge the guys around here cut them down. I could quote he more salient points but that would be overkill when you can look for yourself.

And as afar as your dig about my post frequency lately....is volume better than quality? feel free to discount the points I make but if you want to compare posts criticizing spelling and grammar vs. actual facts to debate to push the conversation forward instead of mucking around then I guess I'd rather post less than more.

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Gold Coast
FavoriteSon, you are just being agist for the sake of it.

Two major flaws/lols in your righteous argument are that Eade has been out of head coaching for three years - which is apparebtly too long? Wtf? This literally makes no sense.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, the stats you use about grand final coaches ages (which are ridiculous anyway, but that's another story) actually contradict the point you're trying to make! Eade is the same age as Malthouse when he won the flag.

You said feel free to discount your points - I don't feel like there's any other option sorry mate.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't think Eade is a good analogy with Hinkley.
Hinkley did his time at Geelong, then he became your 2IC.
He was desperate to coach all the time and kept himself relevant by doing an apprenticeship.
Hinkley has been desperate to coach ever since he had his own teams in the Geelong competition.
I've heard Eade speak at a number of coterie meetings this year.
Eade is very old school, he has a dry sense of humour and he said to these functions he is very much over the intense pressure of being an AFL coach now.
He also said at this time and with his family, this (Coll) job will be my last in the game as he wants to spend more time with them now.
That is understandable given he would have neglected them early days given the pressure of a head coaching gig and the hours involved.
Hinkley & Eade are in different cycles in life and coaching.
True. I still think he has the brains to coach if he wants, but you make a fair point that the 'wants' isn't really there and we're probably better off chasing somebody with more hunger.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two major flaws/lols in your righteous argument are that Eade has been out of head coaching for three years - which is apparebtly too long? Wtf? This literally makes no sense.

Last 4 coaches in VFL/AFL that have been out of game 3 years or more.
1. Alan Jeans, Richmond 1992.
2. Alan Joyce, WB 1994.
3. Ron Barrassi, Sydney 1993.
4. Mark Thompson, Essendon 2014.
One retired mid year.
One was sacked 2 years later.
One walked away from game after 2 years (one year a Wooden Spoon).
Thompson, the youngest, lost more games in 2014 than 2013 (& is below 50).

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Last 4 coaches in VFL/AFL that have been out of game 3 years or more.
1. Alan Jeans, Richmond 1992.
2. Alan Joyce, WB 1994.
3. Ron Barrassi, Sydney 1993.
4. Mark Thompson, Essendon 2014.
One retired mid year.
One was sacked 2 years later.
One walked away from game after 2 years (one year a Wooden Spoon).
Thompson, the youngest, lost more games in 2014 than 2013 (& is below 50).
They are all premiership coaches that went to clubs with ordinary lists & struggled. We don't have an ordinary list IMO so the 3 year out of coaching point doesn't relate to us.
Eade has not coached in the last 3 years. The rest of the candidates have not coached their whole life.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
They are all premiership coaches that went to clubs with ordinary lists & struggled.

WB (then Footscray) made the PF in 1992 and virtually a full season they replaced their coach with Joyce. Side contained 2 Brownlow medal winners from 2 of previous 3 winners & Chris Grant in his peak.
Essendon won 14 games in 2013 and at one point led the ladder.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
WB (then Footscray) made the PF in 1992 and virtually a full season they replaced their coach with Joyce. Side contained 2 Brownlow medal winners from 2 of previous 3 winners & Chris Grant in his peak.
Essendon won 14 games in 2013 and at one point led the ladder.
My bad. I thought Joyce took over in 1994 not 92.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I don't know why people are attacking SugarCoat. There's nothing he's written that's deservant of abuse, especially considering the types of people that genuinely do troll this board every now and again. People are being too defensive. Let's not turn into the Essendon board lol :p

Personally, I wouldn't be adverse to an Eade/Bolton combo because we definitely need a new assistant. Doubt Bolton would move only to be another assistant unless there was a succession plan or something similar.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My bad. I thought Joyce took over in 1994 not 92.

Joyce took over WB in Rd 2, 1994.
Basically a full year after the Bulldogs made the PF at the end of 1992.
They made a SF in 1994 then regressed in 1995 and Joyce was sacked in 1996.
A year later they made a PF so they didn't have an ordinary list.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Joyce took over WB in Rd 2, 1994.
Basically a full year after the Bulldogs made the PF at the end of 1992.
They made a SF in 1994 then regressed in 1995 and Joyce was sacked in 1996.
A year later they made a PF so they didn't have an ordinary list.
all they needed was an extraordinary coach....which is what the GCS need. And right now, I believe its Bolton, or 2nd best, Eade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back