Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Those people that constantly say "there's no good music being made these days!" are probably the least likely to step out of their comfort zone of classic rock and actually give something new a go, too.
'It's bloody good compared to most of the crap being released these days!' is another one. If you need to say that to justify the worth of something, it's not worth justifying. And it's never actually true.

There are no unpopular opinions on this thread because it's full of musical hipsters, whereby, therefore, the unpopular is popular, and the popular is unpopular, quite possibly bringing back around to popular again.
Maybe if you listened to some better music you wouldn't, like, feel that way, dude!

I think the general point of the post was that Nickelback probably aren't really aspiring to or claiming to be making "high art", so there's no reason to judge them by such standards.

To use a Footy phrase, would Nickelback be a team's good ordinary player?

To use a Footy phrase, would Nickelback be a team's good ordinary player?

Probably.

What's weird is that artists like Nickelback, Pink (different style of music, I know), etc. seem to sell records and tickets to their gigs (for example, Pink apparently 4 shows in Adelaide and Perth respectively, 8 shows in Brisbane, 12 shows in Sydney and 18 shows in Melbourne on her 2013 Australian tour), yet I couldn't name one person I know who actually likes them. Who are these people that actually like these artists?

Probably.

What's weird is that artists like Nickelback, Pink (different style of music, I know), etc. seem to sell records and tickets to their gigs (for example, Pink apparently 4 shows in Adelaide and Perth respectively, 8 shows in Brisbane, 12 shows in Sydney and 18 shows in Melbourne on her 2013 Australian tour), yet I couldn't name one person I know who actually likes them. Who are these people that actually like these artists?
Teenage girls, older mums, dads etc. Basically demographics you wouldn't associate with.

Teenage girls, older mums, dads etc. Basically demographics you wouldn't associate with.

You'd think with someone like Pink doing that many shows though (46 in Australia alone on this tour, and 58 in Australia on the one in 2009), there'd be some sort of crossover outside of those demographics. For there to be that kind of demand for one artist in Australia, there'd have to be, just based on our population and the economics. Surely the same small set of people aren't going to half a dozen or more shows for the same artist in their city on one tour. Kind of defies belief that any artist can put on that many shows in Australia over the space of a 6-8 week period TBH.

A guy at my work admitted he went to see Justin Timberlake and he wasn't embarrassed by it (although his woman dragged him along, so he was playing it safe no doubt). Still....I admire his courage in admitting it

A guy at my work admitted he went to see Justin Timberlake and he wasn't embarrassed by it (although his woman dragged him along, so he was playing it safe no doubt). Still....I admire his courage in admitting it

He actually makes very good pop music. To the point where even Pitchfork raved about it

Pink is alright for what she is. I'm not a big fan of her faux-punk sorta aesthetic, but she makes solid enough pop music and is a decent singer I think (her project with Dallas Green sounds really good). Also she does a really big/flashy stage show. I had mates (yes teenage blokes) see her in high school in '09 and they said the overall show was really impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Nickelback cop it mostly because they didn't go away like many similar acts, they kept returning with radio friendly hits when the likes of Vertical Horizon, 3 Doors Down, Creed, etc. had long been forgotten. Whereas Nu-MOR was the norm around 2000/2001, it sticks out a bit more these days. The first time I ever heard people ragging on them was to do with the Figured You Out lyrics, but even then it wasn't really an issue until their next bunch of singles came along in late 2005/early 2006, and people started sticking the boots in big time.

On Pink, I remember thinking she was kinda cool in 2000 in the There You Go/Most Girls days. If you told me back then she would have ultimately been this successful, I would have probably laughed in your face, so good on her for enduring so successfully. That said, I can barely remember a song or two from her in the last 10 years, they all start blurring together for me. So What might be the only song I can hum off the top of my head since around the time of Feel Good Time. It seems like her last couple albums and live DVDs have all been Px7+ ish, which is kind of incredible, not to mention the tours. Her success over the last several years in Australia has almost been unprecedented.

Justified is a quality breakout solo album.

Last edited:
Pink seems to have disproportionate popularity in Australia, per capita, than anywhere else.

I know plenty of annoying females who went.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

It's not that hard to become a small, but internationally touring band who get okay reviews and hook up with good looking girls. You just have to understand the market, have no self-respect and send your material everywhere (which is, as I said, market-dictated by whatever Captured Tracks' 2015 equivalent will be), and work around some kind of template. And be pretty and wear the right clothes while having one or two things no one else does that you can call Your Selling Point.

I know 3 metal bands personally that have all toured internationally and had moderate career musical success, just from one small town with 20k population. It is very doable with hard work and sacrifice.

Not particularly pretty or fashionable though, and all self financed from tradie careers/mines.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

'It's bloody good compared to most of the crap being released these days!' is another one. If you need to say that to justify the worth of something, it's not worth justifying. And it's never actually true.

Maybe if you listened to some better music you wouldn't, like, feel that way, dude!

I listen to music I enjoy.

I guess I'm just over the clique. For all the popular/unpopular opinions, it's all the ******* same. Rag on Nickelback at every given opportunity (seriously, there are worse "artists" out there), worship the indie rock, the British groups, the Bruce Springsteen (sorry Boss, I do enjoy your music, but you are relevant) but at the same time talk down the record holders, the classic mainstream of a bygone era, the Beatles, the Stones, the AC/DC.

It might seem unpopular enough, but everything I've seen on this thread I've seen in many others across this board, and other sites and forums in Australia. People take their music too personally and too seriously and who the * would actually enjoy talking about it when these kind of attitudes are prevalent. It is refreshing hearing from traveled posters discussing music culture from other countries, it sounds far more appealing than local attitude/opinion.

I much prefer the entertainment board, at least you can get more level headed, less pack mentality, open minded discussion about various mediums of media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back