Ben Newton

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually when someone turns down a contract they already have a team lined up.

Sounds like if we were going to pick him up we'd have to use pick 41, as I think our next live pick is not until 78. You'd think if we were going to use 41 we would have just given that to Port and gotten it done in the trade period.

And to be honest thats , the question on our board. Geelong really are not hard to deal with , I wonder what was offered and what Port wanted?

Last edited:
And to be honest thats , the question on our board. Geelong really are no hard to deal with , I wonder what was offered and what Port wanted?
Well for one I think Port did want to hold on to him if possible but for two I think that Port would definitely have wanted something that would have either helped with the Ryder trade or helped get us something we could have used to get Gorringe possibly your pick 35 that you had. Pick 60 Port probably felt was too low pick 35 was most likely too high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well for one I think Port did want to hold on to him if possible but for two I think that Port would definitely have wanted something that would have either helped with the Ryder trade or helped get us something we could have used to get Gorringe possibly your pick 35 that you had. Pick 60 Port probably felt was too low pick 35 was most likely too high.

Looking at Port's picks you are going to have to use 57 and 75 by the looks, I'm guessing you have a rookie for the third pick. So 60 would have had some value to Port, better than nothing.

Looking at Port's picks you are going to have to use 57 and 75 by the looks, I'm guessing you have a rookie for the third pick. So 60 would have had some value to Port, better than nothing.
True but at the time A: I think Port were still planning to keep him if a deal wasn't made and B: The Ryder trade happened so late it might not have left long enough to sort out a deal for Newton.

You can't sign him as a delisted free agent because he wasn't actually delisted?

Its a technically but if you offered a contract you can not be a dfa. Id imagine at some stage that will require tightening , imagine a player on 300 , getting offered a contract for 150 , not really fair.
Geelong sort of did that with Chappy , but we had no intention of holding him up , trading him a worthless pick so he could get where he wanted to go

But surely there was time to accept the late pick on the last day , after the other deals were done. Is it really worth it to be so hard nosed to someone who couldn't break into your side?

But surely there was time to accept the late pick on the last day , after the other deals were done. Is it really worth it to be so hard nosed to someone who couldn't break into your side?
We weren't being hard nosed at all? We wanted to sign him for another contract why would we accept a mediocre pick for a player that we wanted to keep.

Should have told the club he wanted to be traded with xxx being his preferred club.
Doesn't sound as if he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back