Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think Cheney is tall / can play on a tall forward? He's a medium sized defender.

He doesn't play much at all really. Not at the highest level anyway. It will be great if he can develop into a solid player.

He is, as crazy as it is, the best credentialed Back over 185cm in the AFC after Talia. While that scary thought takes hold, let's all hope Hardigan steps up to the next level, and Cheney indeed plays third man up like we all are suggesting.

B: Henderson - Talia - Brown
HB: Jaensch - Hartigan - Smith
C: VB - Dangerfield - Mackay
HF: Lynch - Walker - Douglas
F: Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Crouch
I: Lyons- Thompson - Kerridge
S: Grigg
E: M Crouch - Laird - Wright
this is pretty much where I see us starting, although I'd like to see Cheney impress over preseason to take Henderson's spot and I've got Mackay on very thin ice.

FF: Lynch, Walker, Betts
CHF: Cameron, Jenkins, Lyons
C: Mackay, Danger, Smith
HB: Van Berlo, Hartigan, Brown
FB: Jaensch, Talia, Henderson

1st R: Jacobs, Crouch, Sloane

RES: Thompson, Douglas, Podsiadly, Kerridge

EM: M Crouch, Grigg

He is, as crazy as it is, the best credentialed Back over 185cm in the AFC after Talia. While that scary thought takes hold, let's all hope Hardigan steps up to the next level, and Cheney indeed plays third man up like we all are suggesting.

Brodie Smith is not a midfielder yet.

My guess is that he's had about 20, maybe 25 decent games in 5 years on our list.

Chronically overrated here

Has had a fair bit of trouble staying on the park. Should have been dropped this year in favour of (I'm gonna say it) Reilly. Having said that his best is very good, has good pace, good leap and a penetrating and accurate leg. He has all the weapons that form the foundation of a good winger. If fit and in form he takes Mackays wing on his ear for mine, but that's not exactly high praise. But he doesn't have the credits to be carried out of form for more than a game or two.

Yep, unfortunately those guys chances of game time is still very dependent on injury.

I don't think thommo will have the luxury of carrying niggles next year. I also doubt that 20-25 touches at 60% will guarantee a spot in the midfield. Not knocking thommo because his best is still good enough, but he can't carry the injuries he could a few years ago. Happens of all the older blokes and he's no different. He'll miss games in 2015 that he would have been right to go in 2014. I'm expecting a bit more common sense in the handling of the sub and travelling emergency roles as well.

Last edited:
True. Having said that we know he is a great offensive weapon, I take it that you rate him ahead of Cheney defensively.

Oh man, that's tough. I have not seen enough of Cheney (besides his mauling by Hawkins) and Brodie Smith's performance against Troy Menzel is still fresh in my mind (like a burn). But he is better credentialed, if for no other reason his AA selection. But its seems to be gospel that he is midfield-bound next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best team is the following. This is what I think we should line up with on the park if all players are available (excluding Otten), and we are looking to build towards that fabled 2400-2500 games experience by a best 22 to be a top 4 team. With this team we currently we sit at 1772 games. With a gain of around 450 games experience per year, and us losing Thompson (300 in 2 years), I think we are still 2-3 years away from top 4.

One thing we have in our favour is we have very few irreplacable aging players. Pods, Thomo, Reilly, VB either have apprentices in place or are barely top 15 at the club.

FB: Cheney, Talia, Brown
HB: Jaensch, Hartigan, VB
C: Smith, Sloane, Henderson
HF: Cameron, Walker, Kerridge
FF: Lynch, Jenkins, Betts
R: Jacobs, Thompson, Danger, B Crouch

INT: M Crouch, Douglas, Grigg, Lowden

Emg: Mackay, Lyons, Pods, Wright

I dont see a place in the best 22 for 2 x players at the peak of their career, who still just do enough to get selected without raising any eyebrows. Mackay and Douglas, im looking at you. IMO Douglas has the runs on the board. Essentially VBs captaincy and leadership sees Mackay dropped.

I would like to see Lowden get at least half the games this season doing Jenkins role from 2014, and Jenkins to play Pods role.

Reilly should never play again and should be depth only

Depending on preseasons, Mackay could jump into Hendersons place on the wing, but I have faith Hendo can find his running form from before his injury with a decent preseason. Grigg, Lyons, Wright and Kerridge all playing for the same positions.

My best team is the following. This is what I think we should line up with on the park if all players are available (excluding Otten), and we are looking to build towards that fabled 2400-2500 games experience by a best 22 to be a top 4 team. With this team we currently we sit at 1772 games. With a gain of around 450 games experience per year, and us losing Thompson (300 in 2 years), I think we are still 2-3 years away from top 4.

One thing we have in our favour is we have very few irreplacable aging players. Pods, Thomo, Reilly, VB either have apprentices in place or are barely top 15 at the club.

FB: Cheney, Talia, Brown
HB: Jaensch, Hartigan, VB
C: Smith, Sloane, Henderson
HF: Cameron, Walker, Kerridge
FF: Lynch, Jenkins, Betts
R: Jacobs, Thompson, Danger, B Crouch

INT: M Crouch, Douglas, Grigg, Lowden

Emg: Mackay, Lyons, Pods, Wright

I dont see a place in the best 22 for 2 x players at the peak of their career, who still just do enough to get selected without raising any eyebrows. Mackay and Douglas, im looking at you. IMO Douglas has the runs on the board. Essentially VBs captaincy and leadership sees Mackay dropped.

I would like to see Lowden get at least half the games this season doing Jenkins role from 2014, and Jenkins to play Pods role.

Reilly should never play again and should be depth only

Depending on preseasons, Mackay could jump into Hendersons place on the wing, but I have faith Hendo can find his running form from before his injury with a decent preseason. Grigg, Lyons, Wright and Kerridge all playing for the same positions.
Not a bad side & I like most of your reasoning except Douglas is clearly in our best 22 when his balls are ok.

Also, no excuses if we have an extra midfielder in the centre square! ;)

What about Josh Jenkins to center half back? I remember the game in Round 23 and he did quite good down back. With Walker, Podsiadly & Lynch up forward, there's more then enough options for the Crows to play him down back and give it a try. Thoughts?

What about Josh Jenkins to center half back? I remember the game in Round 23 and he did quite good down back. With Walker, Podsiadly & Lynch up forward, there's more then enough options for the Crows to play him down back and give it a try. Thoughts?

No way

He was terrible when tried there.

I think it could have been worth a shot when he first got to the club. But hes such value forward now that its too late

More likely we try Podsiadly down there if we're getting desperate.

Does anyone think we can't or won't make the 8 simply because we're down one key defender? Like I know Otten isn't the greatest player going around but he's very serviceable and would be extremely handy if he hadn't done his knee. So I'm saying he'd be the difference but that sorta player could be the difference between us going from 9-13 to 1 to 6.

Good idea in theory, however with Pods being close to retirement it's probably better if we use a plan that gets him into a position that we can use him as depth.

Does anyone think we can't or won't make the 8 simply because we're down one key defender? Like I know Otten isn't the greatest player going around but he's very serviceable and would be extremely handy if he hadn't done his knee. So I'm saying he'd be the difference but that sorta player could be the difference between us going from 9-13 to 1 to 6.

No. We should and will make it all being equal. Hartigan is more than capable.
Ball use and decision making going forward is of far bigger concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Back