Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to have strained my groin going for a PB in the deadlift. Also a bit of a twinge in the very top of the hammy - may or may not be related.

Anyone had experience with rehabbing that?
You've probs just tried to lift too much and overloaded your stabilizers, I assume it's medial hamstring right next to your adductor? like gracilis or adduc magnus? I wouldn't stress too much, if it hasn't already started to settle it should in the next few days!

You've probs just tried to lift too much and overloaded your stabilizers, I assume it's medial hamstring right next to your adductor? like gracilis or adduc magnus? I wouldn't stress too much, if it hasn't already started to settle it should in the next few days!
yeah, I'm weaker in that leg from previous damage to my sciatic nerve so that leg does bow in a bit under heavy loads which is obviously not ideal. It feels like its either adductor brevis or longus.

if add mag is the iussue then you really need to hammer that glute as it can take over a hip extensor (glutes) when it has too but the groin thing is puzzling but could be from the femoral head sliding forward in the joint from the weak glute not being able o pull it back though hip extension...either way glute, glute, glute

So had a pub crawl w/ mates on last Saturday, on the piss etc to finish off our season right. Woke up great on Sunday, hit the gym to watch some NFL and do my lower body work - hamstrings, deads, squats etc. When I finished and got home I noticed a massive bruise on the inside of my ankle and over my instep...not sure if i acquired the bruise on the piss or lifting. Not painful, no ankle pain - just a big blueberry on my ankle. Thoughts?

I've pulled something in my neck that flared up after shrugs yesterday. I thought I might be able to ride it out without seeing a physio with some voltaren gel and sleeping on a heat bag but today it seemed like it was getting worse so I made an appointment.

The diagnosis is actually better than I was expecting, just some strained muscles in my neck which he has freed up with some massage. Don't need another appointment unless it doesn't get better. I can also return to the gym immediately so long as I keep the weight low.

He also recommended I spend some time stretching out my pecs as they are tight and pulling my shoulders forward and effecting my posture. He also said I should take anti-inflammatory tablets over the voltaren gel as it's likely the gel isn't penetrating deeply enough. (inb4 that's what she said)

Stretching work any near as much as strengthening your mid back

He's saying that your pecs are tight and are pulling forward which can be an issue but what dies stretching do? It will lengthen the pecs for 5mins and then they'll go back being tight and pull you forwards again

Now if you strengthen your mid back that is tightening those muscles up to effectively pull you back into neutral - that is how postural improvements are made

Stretching is a very temporary fix - strengthening is a lot more permanent

Stretching work any near as much as strengthening your mid back

He's saying that your pecs are tight and are pulling forward which can be an issue but what dies stretching do? It will lengthen the pecs for 5mins and then they'll go back being tight and pull you forwards again

Now if you strengthen your mid back that is tightening those muscles up to effectively pull you back into neutral - that is how postural improvements are made

Stretching is a very temporary fix - strengthening is a lot more permanent
I'm not even sure my posture is that bad to be honest, I think I was just a little slumped over when he was looking at me because my neck hurts. I usually do 50kg dumbbells rows for 8 reps so I don't think it's a mid back strength issue.

I think my posture during barbell shrugs may have contributed to my neck injury, had been sort of hunching over. Did some light weight 60kg barbell shrugs with an emphasis on pushing out my chest and it felt like a better movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pain is on the outside of my knee, making it's way around the back. The back of my knee is a little bit purple from the bruising. I did it in my gridiron game on Saturday night, not exactly sure what happened. I remember after one play thinking that I'd copped a knock on the side that was a little bit sore (not sure if I actually did cop a knock). Ran another play and it got sorer, I could feel it start to seize up. Ran another play and then I thought something isn't right here, and by the time I got off the ground I couldn't move my knee.

I went to the hospital (it was Sunday), they X-Rayed and revealed no breaks (as expected), tried to bend my knee a few times (couldn't get near 90 degrees). They said it's likely ligament damage (no s**t!), gave me a (nearly) full leg brace, a set of crutches and said we'll call you for an appointment in 10 days at which point they will decide if I need an MRI or not.

Would like to know what some of you think, I was doing the powerlifting for a couple of years after a couple of years of really doing nothing :)....Now after a few personal things going wrong I have had to suddenly take a break from it. My problem is joint pain in my knees, ankles, back, wrists and elbows :mad:. I have had it for about 5 weeks now. I have been to the docs countless times, countless scans and blood tests and all comes back clear. They don't know what's going on...I'm flirting with the idea that it could have something to due with the heavy lifting for a period of time and then the sudden stop ? Is that even possible ?

i wouldn't have thought so but i'd go a bit deeper with the bloods, or get a second opinion on them...sometimes you need to maybe suggest why you're after it (joint pain) for them to look at it more specifically - make sense?

Would like to know what some of you think, I was doing the powerlifting for a couple of years after a couple of years of really doing nothing :)....Now after a few personal things going wrong I have had to suddenly take a break from it. My problem is joint pain in my knees, ankles, back, wrists and elbows :mad:. I have had it for about 5 weeks now. I have been to the docs countless times, countless scans and blood tests and all comes back clear. They don't know what's going on...I'm flirting with the idea that it could have something to due with the heavy lifting for a period of time and then the sudden stop ? Is that even possible ?
Given that you developed problems in all your joints rather than one specific joint it sounds like it's probably diet related. Something is inflaming your joints. Perhaps you have developed gout. Or some type of arthritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

Did you start suddenly eating alot mre dairy, wheat, drinking more alcohol, sugar or seafood?.

You said you had to stop for personal reasons. Did you have a sudden stressful event?

Given that you developed problems in all your joints rather than one specific joint it sounds like it's probably diet related. Something is inflaming your joints. Perhaps you have developed gout. Or some type of arthritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

Did you start suddenly eating alot mre dairy, wheat, drinking more alcohol, sugar or seafood?.

You said you had to stop for personal reasons. Did you have a sudden stressful event?
Hey mate cheers for the reply. Its not gout, I got tested for that earlier. Its not arthritis. I had to stop to get my mind in a better place. There was a few close deaths this year and tbh moving out by myself has been abit stressful. Do you really think stress could have an affect like this. Diet hasn't. really changed...I mean I eat a lot of frozen stuff now and just cook it in the oven as it's a lot easier.

Its really weird as the joints that hurt change. 2 days ago I couldn't move my right hand, yesterday it was my left and today its my right again.

Its really weird as the joints that hurt change. 2 days ago I couldn't move my right hand, yesterday it was my left and today its my right again.

that sounds heaps like a form of rheumatoid arthritis. It's common to move around.

Maybe go see a different doc, mate.

Hey mate cheers for the reply. Its not gout, I got tested for that earlier. Its not arthritis. I had to stop to get my mind in a better place. There was a few close deaths this year and tbh moving out by myself has been abit stressful. Do you really think stress could have an affect like this. Diet hasn't. really changed...I mean I eat a lot of frozen stuff now and just cook it in the oven as it's a lot easier.

Every single pain you have ever felt has been in your head (as has everyones ever). Stress can play a huge role in pain, and often drives a lot of pain experiences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back