2015 Fixture - Abuse the AFL here

Remove this Banner Ad

******* Sydney first up,away from home, thanks for that.

Name a better time to play them.

I'd rather play them in round 1 where we are 50-50 to win (they always start the season slowly), than round 10 when it is 10-90.

The swans are nothing more than a mid to bottom team in the first few rounds of any season (much like we have been at the end of seasons from 2010-2013)

In The Advertiser today they were mentioning Adelaide playing Essendon in the final round, and given Port play round 1 away they will get round 23 at home, so by my powers of deduction that gives us Adelaide at home in round 23.

Yes, that's right, at home.

Maybe....

Probably a neutral venue.... Like aami stadium

Wouldn't think so, nor Tassie again either (we played Fitzroy in Hobart in 1992).
It'd be nice if it was one of our interstate trips up that way. We have a pretty sizeable fan base comparative to their population.

Name a better time to play them.

I'd rather play them in round 1 where we are 50-50 to win (they always start the season slowly), than round 10 when it is 10-90.

The swans are nothing more than a mid to bottom team in the first few rounds of any season (much like we have been at the end of seasons from 2010-2013)
Would rather them at home, we're going to get pumped

Would rather them at home, we're going to get pumped

Well who knows about that? Time will tell. Given we have to play them away, what better situation than round 1?

Say we play 5 travel games. If we are lucky enough to pinch an away win against a notoriously slow starter, that then frees up a home game later on (only 4 travel games left)

A home game against them means still 5 travel games to go.

I remember beating west coast back in 1989 at the WACA round 1. They had made the finals the year before and we didn't. We weren't expected to win at the time. It set up our season beautifully. No more Perth games after that and a win in the bank.

I think it's time to NOT play Carlton and Collingwood twice every year.

If, instead of playing Carlton twice, we played, say, Geelong twice at the MCG, and instead of playing Collingwood twice, we played, say, North Melbourne twice, would anyone really care? I know I wouldn't. The second Ess vs Coll match only got a tick over 50K anyway. Fans don't care about the rivalry week-to-week. They care about current ladder position, and the relevance of the game to the current season.

It doesn't maximise attendances, so why do it? I can understand maximising local derbies in SA, NSW and QLD (where there are only two teams), but in Victoria, there are 9 derbies we can play.

If Carlton vs Essendon gets 70,000 (35K each) and Melbourne vs Nth.Melb gets 30,000 (15K each)..... 100,000 total.

But instead it was North Melb vs Ess (50K...35+15) and Melb vs carlton (50K... 35+15)..... 100,000 total

It would still be the same total attendance.

Id love to play a few more games against the Victorian clubs we often only get one game against every year like Geelong and the Kangaroos and others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well who knows about that? Time will tell. Given we have to play them away, what better situation than round 1?

Say we play 5 travel games. If we are lucky enough to pinch an away win against a notoriously slow starter, that then frees up a home game later on (only 4 travel games left)

A home game against them means still 5 travel games to go.

I remember beating west coast back in 1989 at the WACA round 1. They had made the finals the year before and we didn't. We weren't expected to win at the time. It set up our season beautifully. No more Perth games after that and a win in the bank.
Have not beaten them since 2011, don't expect this to change any time soon.

Question Bombers fans regarding ANZAC Day;

Blues v Saints will be playing in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day 2015. I like the idea of trying to build up on the game and try make it a permanent fixture over the next few years.

Collingwood v Essendon has been very successful marquee game and both teams have really made it their own and build up is fantastic every year, regardless where both teams sit on the ladder. Recently AFL has introduced a night game on night game in WA to have that same success interstate and slowly building but of course not the same as Pies v Dons

What do Saints & Blues & AFL need to do to have similar success in NZL and to create that same build up and get full houses and lastly make it a permanent game?.

Question Bombers fans regarding ANZAC Day;

Blues v Saints will be playing in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day 2015. I like the idea of trying to build up on the game and try make it a permanent fixture over the next few years.

Collingwood v Essendon has been very successful marquee game and both teams have really made it their own and build up is fantastic every year, regardless where both teams sit on the ladder. Recently AFL has introduced a night game on night game in WA to have that same success interstate and slowly building but of course not the same as Pies v Dons

What do Saints & Blues & AFL need to do to have similar success in NZL and to create that same build up and get full houses and lastly make it a permanent game?.
Get high attendances there. Try for 75% capacity (26k or thereabouts).

So, apparently Geelong have eight games at Kardinia Park this year, two MCG home games against Hawthorn and Collingwood, and one Etihad home game against Caaaarlton.

You'd think that means we've finally got a home fixture against Geelong. Almost certainly at Etihad.

So, apparently Geelong have eight games at Kardinia Park this year, two MCG home games against Hawthorn and Collingwood, and one Etihad home game against Caaaarlton.

You'd think that means we've finally got a home fixture against Geelong. Almost certainly at Etihad.
Unless we're away to Geelong, since they want a "big club" there. Which, in all honesty, I wouldn't object to.

Unless we're away to Geelong, since they want a "big club" there. Which, in all honesty, I wouldn't object to.
Would be stunned if that happened, and if it was going to, I suspect we would have heard by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back