Opinion Whose debut are you most looking forward to in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Jansen on a VFL game earlier this year and couldn't believe it for a 19 year old with a 25 year old body. Big and fast, I hope he can push through next year.

On another note I hope that either Clark or Stanley can sort out our ruck problems although neither are that tall or experienced as a #1 ruck.

I look forward to all kids getting their first chance , I was very disappointed that Hamling didn't at least get a game before being told to go.

So Id like to see Kolo and JJ play for sure. The club needs to be tougher on some of the older guys , in 2015.. and along with Lang & Hartman , they need to get more time. For the mids , shouldt be too difficult , but Kolo being a taller KPD type , it will mean they have to rotate a few defender a bit

Last edited:
I saw Jansen on a VFL game earlier this year and couldn't believe it for a 19 year old with a 25 year old body. Big and fast, I hope he can push through next year.

On another note I hope that either Clark or Stanley can sort out our ruck problems although neither are that tall or experienced as a #1 ruck.

Thats the key word on these two I feel. What will Stanleys role be? Ruck? Im an advocate of draft picks being overrated , the picking up mature players is not adverse to my thinking. 21 perhaps is over paying , but on his talent set , if he was an 18 year old that had only played v other 18 years old's , he would be at least 21 if not higher. He should be ready to go , has shown what he can do at the level.... Im just not sure where he fits.

I "Hope" they do. If Ottens can teach him to be a ruck man , he may be a very exciting addition. How it works with Vardy and blitz..again Not sure. Are Simpson and Hmac dead weight? Not sure.

But yes , its not a debut but I do look forward to seeing him play what that clubs has brought him in for.

Thats the key word on these two I feel. What will Stanleys role be? Ruck? Im an advocate of draft picks being overrated , the picking up mature players is not adverse to my thinking. 21 perhaps is over paying , but on his talent set , if he was an 18 year old that had only played v other 18 years old's , he would be at least 21 if not higher. He should be ready to go , has shown what he can do at the level.... Im just not sure where he fits.

I "Hope" they do. If Ottens can teach him to be a ruck man , he may be a very exciting addition. How it works with Vardy and blitz..again Not sure. Are Simpson and Hmac dead weight? Not sure.

But yes , its not a debut but I do look forward to seeing him play what that clubs has brought him in for.

I would think they must be intending to rotate Clark, Stanley and Vardy through the forward line as 2nd rucks to McIntosh - or possibly Simpson, if he continues.
It may be that they think Stanley is fast and agile enough to play as a 3rd tall forward alongside Clark/Vardy as the CHF. Which would possibly make Kersten redundant.

I've read a post by a Saints fan that he's more like 204cm than the 200cm given on the list stats. He said he's well over 200cm.
I think he's right.

Pick 60, I hear he is a real gun, he just needs to get over his injury concerns, if he can I bet that he'll played at least 150 games,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Clark! Of they guys who haven't played senior footy at all, JJ. But of our recruits, I've bought into the Mitch Clark hype and i now eagerly await his debut. If his body and mind are sound, he will be every bit as dangerous as Tom Hawkins. On talent alone, he's one of the best key forwards in the game.

I would think they must be intending to rotate Clark, Stanley and Vardy through the forward line as 2nd rucks to McIntosh - or possibly Simpson, if he continues.
It may be that they think Stanley is fast and agile enough to play as a 3rd tall forward alongside Clark/Vardy as the CHF. Which would possibly make Kersten redundant.

Just how good or bad are Hmac, Simpson, Vardy.... If all of these are not real options it changes it. If All are OK , it changes it. On what I saw for mobility , Hmac will struggle to get a game. Simpson is almost too injury prone to try to set you side up around him.

So , I see the rough chance of Blitz being a backman , Vardy playing forward, Stanley being played as a middle of the ground ruck , with all of them having turns , all of them being roughly able to play all roles...

I've read a post by a Saints fan that he's more like 204cm than the 200cm given on the list stats. He said he's well over 200cm.
I think he's right.

Why doesn't every player have to get re-measured and weighed when traded , surely the stats should get updated. If he is 204..Ottens and company should be going a 100% and getting his rucks skill up to scratch. Has anyone seen his leap? Thats one thing I'm not sure on.

Just how good or bad are Hmac, Simpson, Vardy.... If all of these are not real options it changes it. If All are OK , it changes it. On what I saw for mobility , Hmac will struggle to get a game. Simpson is almost too injury prone to try to set you side up around him.

So , I see the rough chance of Blitz being a backman , Vardy playing forward, Stanley being played as a middle of the ground ruck , with all of them having turns , all of them being roughly able to play all roles...

Why doesn't every player have to get re-measured and weighed when traded , surely the stats should get updated. If he is 204..Ottens and company should be going a 100% and getting his rucks skill up to scratch. Has anyone seen his leap? Thats one thing I'm not sure on.

Don't think they care to bother measuring them much, it's all in house the fine detail I'd say, ... but that's what I heard around 204cm, his leap is terrific he's agile and athletic so it'd be to the better side of good at least.
When we talk of potential it's based on natural attributes, I reckon he's got some much but there's many variables to come together yet.

Don't think they care to bother measuring them much, it's all in house the fine detail I'd say, ... but that's what I heard around 204cm, his leap is terrific he's agile and athletic so it'd be to the better side of good at least.
When we talk of potential it's based on natural attributes, I reckon he's got some much but there's many variables to come together yet.

The mail I have on Stanley from a Saints fan who has connection with the Saints club is that Stanley's problem is that he "lacks a heart and it is not something you can teach".

Which would possibly make Kersten redundant.

chris-farley-rage.gif

The mail I have on Stanley from a Saints fan who has connection with the Saints club is that Stanley's problem is that he "lacks a heart and it is not something you can teach".

I'll be looking at that, we got rid of Varcoe who didn't have a liking for solid contact, but I've never noticed anything that questioned Stanley's game, not that I've seen terribly much.
He stood up pretty well to the Dockers last year taking 14 marks, so I'll be surprised if there's anything in it.

There was no problem at all with McIntosh's mobility or performance before he ran out of fitness in the last quarter of the season, and he's an automatic selection if uninjured.
Simpson, of course, still has to make it past next Friday's deadline; but if he does, then he'll play when McIntosh doesn't, and maybe sometimes they'll even play both (though probably not).
Which means one of Clark/Vardy/Stanley plays CHF, one of them plays 2nd ruck, and one of them plays somewhere else, namely on the forward line or the bench. Because they'll definitely all play if fit (probably with some initial conditioning time in the 2nds for Vardy). And if that happens, then Kersten and Walker don't play.
That's unless the MC knows something we don't, ie that one or more of McIntosh, Simpson and Vardy are not going to get up for this season.
But even if it's only Simpson missing, the equation doesn't change: there's no spot for Kersten, and no spot for Walker.

McIntosh I thought was very underwhelming for a player many consistently labelled as close to an All Australian as it gets. His best game of the year was round 5, the rest were barely satisfactory. Understandable he hasn't played for years but I worry about his body heading into the new year as he is no longer a young man (by footy standards). Can he improve? Or will he produce similar numbers to this year?
If so, we may as well drop him to the VFL and play the smaller/agile setup of Walker/Blicavs/Stanley which gives us more freedom around the ground.

Like Varcoe, years of injury to the ankles/feet have ruined his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back