The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess we've been spoilt over the last 25 years with exciting test matches but today does hark back to the dark old days of test cricket.

The emphasis is on the word "test".
* me these Pakistanis are pretty boring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Pakistani second innings doesn't make for pleasant reading. Neither does Lyon's match figures of 2/220.

We have genuine weaknesses against spin bowling on less than pristine pitches. I don't know how this can be rectified. How will our spinners get that sort of experience?

Never really rated Lyon. He seems to be particularly poor against players from India and Pakistan.
His bowling relies heavily on getting bounce. That's ok for Australia but against sub continent players over there he struggles

This is true, but it's not like any of our spinners have the wealth of experience on those types of pitches. SCG in the 80's was possibly the closest.

I don't think we value spinners that highly at the lower levels because they are often expensive & off spin is very unrewarding on matting or turf unless you have the variation (& the backing of your captain) to carry it off. Generally you don't last long & all you become is a part timer, given a couple of overs to give the pacemen a spell.

It's an old problem & I can't see it being sorted soon in this country. It's in the too difficult basket.

Second test has started. We are bowling first.

Two changes - maxwell and starc for Doolan and okeefe.

We will either make 400 really quickly or get bundled out for 120

Second test has started. We are bowling first.

Two changes - maxwell and starc for Doolan and okeefe.

We will either make 400 really quickly or get bundled out for 120

I'm really not a fan of stacking a side with allrounders. You get a bit of this and a bit of that. Never enough of one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back