Rd1 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said he wasnt good i believe he is a top 15 mid in the comp and was our second best player, but it true he doesnt defend lets his man go free and it killed us last year with our defenders having to cover another man.
Fare enough.

I hope we play beams up forward though. He could fill the ash McGrath role fairly well and if he can kick 40+ that would be massive for us.

Fare enough.

I hope we play beams up forward though. He could fill the ash McGrath role fairly well and if he can kick 40+ that would be massive for us.

i would of thought he would playing the midfield for your team, if you are able to get him to work harder and run both ways,i believe you could turn him into a top 10 midfielder.

i would of thought he would playing the midfield for your team, if you are able to get him to work harder and run both ways,i believe you could turn him into a top 10 midfielder.
No doubt he is one of our best midfielders but being up forward doesn't mean staying there. A forward line that rotates Rockliff Zorko and beams threw the middle let alone green and Taylor is a pretty scary one for the opposition. Now it's just Operation get someone to kick it too.

No doubt he is one of our best midfielders but being up forward doesn't mean staying there. A forward line that rotates Rockliff Zorko and beams threw the middle let alone green and Taylor is a pretty scary one for the opposition. Now it's just Operation get someone to kick it too.
We don't need anyone to kick it too. I can see Rich, Hanley, Beams, Adcock, Mayes, Aish and Zorko kicking goals outside the 50m arc:D

Do you think we'll play Maguire, Gardiner, Clarke, & Merrett against that forward line? I could see Golby playing in the backline. A little harsh on McStay & Bewick too not being in there. A nicer problem than usual to have.
I don't think Merrett is the right type of player to replace Patfull down back, he will be played up forward still IMO. Though, I'd happily be wrong about that if Maguire doesn't impress over the preseason. But, I think Gardiner could be, at this stage of his career anyway, the right type of player for that 3rd tall defender role who can play on a small and be that 3rd man up.

I had McStay in the team, but he made way for Merrett - I think McStay will be a real x-factor player for us into the future, but I think he will have to break into the team early next year. Regarding Bewick I am not sure who he makes way for in the forward line? Perhaps he could be trialed in defense? The Jamie Howe type of defender?

I don't think Merrett is the right type of player to replace Patfull down back, he will be played up forward still IMO. Though, I'd happily be wrong about that if Maguire doesn't impress over the preseason. But, I think Gardiner could be, at this stage of his career anyway, the right type of player for that 3rd tall defender role who can play on a small and be that 3rd man up.

I had McStay in the team, but he made way for Merrett - I think McStay will be a real x-factor player for us into the future, but I think he will have to break into the team early next year. Regarding Bewick I am not sure who he makes way for in the forward line? Perhaps he could be trialed in defense? The Jamie Howe type of defender?
Bewick isn't a backman, he kicks goals & is a bit of barometer for our team. Oh, and you'll need to find a place for Paparone too.... This is the reason i don't do team lineups. As Jeff Fenech says 'I loves yous all'

TBF, this is more like McGuane:

I knew you'd whip that one out ;)

Yeah, he's a bit of a gumby sometimes, but that doesn't stop him from being that senior body in the forward line as per my argument in my post, does it? You kinda just straight up ignored my whole actual point there.

Couldn't give a stuff if Beams isn't the greatest defender, he is a goal kicking mid.

We have the bloke who averaged the most tackles in the league this year as well as Redden & Zorko.

Have plenty to cover Dayne defensively, don't listen to the wobbles over there sprouting their nonsense that Dayne is now crap and Crisp is a god footballer off 6 games.

I'm hoping Stakes is ready come round 1. His stocks have just soared, him and Big Rog have just been re-elevated up the list if importance I reckon. Merrett at FB, Staker CHF. Work the rest in around these two.
Has there been any public indication about how Staker's going? I really rate his kicking and leadership, would love to have him back for round 1.

Has there been any public indication about how Staker's going? I really rate his kicking and leadership, would love to have him back for round 1.
A medical report come up on the afl about Trent west being our only player that shouldn't make full preseason. So I take that he might be ok.

;)
Couldn't give a stuff if Beams isn't the greatest defender, he is a goal kicking mid.

We have the bloke who averaged the most tackles in the league this year as well as Redden & Zorko.

Have plenty to cover Dayne defensively, don't listen to the wobbles over there sprouting their nonsense that Dayne is now crap and Crisp is a god footballer off 6 games.

Right on brother. He was Rolls Royce a couple of weeks ago, now he has deficiencies in his game. I think he will improve us to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very promising start to the season before his knee gave up. If he can build on his 2012-13 form this season he'll be a great addition.

Can also be swung down back.

I knew you'd whip that one out ;)

Yeah, he's a bit of a gumby sometimes, but that doesn't stop him from being that senior body in the forward line as per my argument in my post, does it? You kinda just straight up ignored my whole actual point there.
Yeah, I was just proud I learnt how to embed a video. ;)
I think I addressed your point with my next post though.

Yeah, I was just proud I learnt how to embed a video. ;)
I think I addressed your point with my next post though.
Ah yep, missed that one. Nicely put.

So just to summarise. Your thoughts on McGuane? Fan? Not a fan?

Given how much the team structure will change by necessity next year, there's an equal chance of McGuane being on the outer as the inner.

Football speculation!

Well yeah, it's going to be a closer game if you're playing with 24 players after 9 ins and only 7 outs! ;)
If you read my post you would have seen I said Reid and Clokewere not strictly ins as they played in that game but just managed a bit over 1 Q between them.

would much much much rather beams in the middle and rockliff in the forward line.

While rockliff is really good. He isn't nearly as damaging as beams with the ball. And we desperately need someone like that in the middle of the square.

At the end of the day, it's 50/50 and everyone knows that deep down but off-season will be boring without all this fun.

Pies fans will scream to the hills that they will flog us, making Beams look a fool and condemning the Lions to the bottom 4 for all eternity.

Whilst Lions fans are just in swagger mode.

#swagger

Ah yep, missed that one. Nicely put.

So just to summarise. Your thoughts on McGuane? Fan? Not a fan?

Given how much the team structure will change by necessity next year, there's an equal chance of McGuane being on the outer as the inner.

Football speculation!
I'm conflicted. Leppa did bring him with him from Richmond, but he is not a player you would think would play in a premiership and Leppa has always shown a preference to play youth.

My feeling is that he brought him to Brisbane because he's a professional, good trainer and good influence around the club for the young guys. He's probably there for a mentoring role and back up, rather than best 22.

The future for our tall players are Gardiner, Clarke and Bourke in defence Close and Freeman as the KPFs, with Paparone a "hit up" target. McStay will play both ends as the particular game dictates.

We will probably play seven talls each week this year (not including Berg/Martin), McStay will play most games as a "swing man" and Gardiner and Clarke are locks. The other young guys will probably rotate in and out of the side, unless one really stands up and has a break out year.

I do agree that we will play senior bodies, as on field leaders and to take the "gorillas", but I think they'll be Staker, Merrett and Maguire. If one goes down we will just play one of the other kids over McGuane in most cases.

So, I've probably ranted on a bit much. In short, McGuane is back up and a mentor at training.

All of course, is just my opinion.

I think rocky will play forward next year. Wont get as many possies but 2 goals a game will help.
So many options. He plays tall when he goes forward as well. A bit like Jimmy Bartel.

Bewick isn't a backman, he kicks goals & is a bit of barometer for our team. Oh, and you'll need to find a place for Paparone too.... This is the reason i don't do team lineups. As Jeff Fenech says 'I loves yous all'

Bewick had some great games down back last year, getting plenty of the ball and shutting down midfielders rotating through half-forward. I think he was much more consistent down there then he's ever been up forward.

If you read my post you would have seen I said Reid and Clokewere not strictly ins as they played in that game but just managed a bit over 1 Q between them.

If you'd read mine you might have picked up it was more than a little tongue in cheek, hence the smiley...

McGuane is a better player than some give him credit for. He played some decent footy in his last year or so at Richmond. Even as injury affected as he was in 2014, some of the stuff he did in terms of his movement showed a maturity and understanding of the game that is very much lacking from our younger brigade.

I have no doubt Close and McStay will turn out to be a better footballer than McGuane. Probably Freeman too (although I'm yet to have the light bulb moment with him).

But for 2015, I think it is a very even field for the KPF spots with each bringing something different to the role.

With McGuane, while he is prone to make errors, his attack on the footy is first class and he has the ability to play tall when the ball is in the air but also play very mobile when the ball hits the deck or the opposition has it. His defensive work is significantly superior to our other talls. These days, you need that from your forwards because it is all about keeping the footy inside your forward half.

Does that elevate him above the young blokes? Not sure yet. But I wouldn't be arbitrarily writing him off, nor do I think we should be slagging off his ability to contribute at a senior level.

He potentially brings something to our best 22 that the others don't. On pure talent, he's a long way off. But for team balance and the ability to improve those around him, he's certainly in the mix IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back