List Mgmt. Ben Newton signs with Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh dear Lord. If any rival supporters think we are the loser in this and for some reason feel aggrieved, the pain we will inflict on them next year will be a wake-up call.

Good luck to Newts. Just couldn't cut mustard here.

#realruthless #blackops #pooeckert

Yeah, best of luck to Ben. Hope all goes well for him. Just too much quality in our midfield group to overcome.
Think there is no "agenda" as his manager says, just looking for opportunity - Maybe Dees or Dogs?
Strange that he didn't ask for a trade to get to a club of his choice, but maybe he hadn't made up his mind then 100% if he was leaving or not?
Also may not have even had a "club of choice" set in his mind either at that stage.
We will draft someone else and be better.

Let's be honest Newts was probably a goner from our list at about the time this happened:

0cHW9uz.gif

I'm a bit disappointed that Newts is going, but good luck to him, I hope he gets a regular game somewhere.
Stevenson was an inevitable delisting, so no surprise there.
Great to see T-shirt Tommy get another year, albeit as a rookie, blokes like him are the lifeblood of a genuine football club.

Also disappointed Newts is going. Would have liked him to have got a few weeks with the power (not as sub) when he had that run of excellent form with the Mags. Never got a chance IMO and not surprised he's going. Agree 100% with his decision and hope he does well with his next team

Disappointed to be losing Benny, I reckon we'll still only take 2 picks at the draft whilst upgrading Mitchell. That'll leave 2 spots for a dfa, psd or potentially 2 extra rookies. Panos certainly looks a lot more appealing with newts out the door. Can he be listed as a dfa as he's been listed before?

Let's be honest Newts was probably a goner from our list at about the time this happened:

0cHW9uz.gif

Yep. Sometimes players take a while before you know they'll come good. Wines did it in the first 5 minutes of his debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooch on 5AA saying that no one was interested in trading for Newts. He also said that he is rung the clubs there were supposedly interested in him and they denied they were going to pick him up in the draft (It's Rooch so grain of salt and all that). Kane also chimed in and said he thought we'd probably pick him up again if no one else did.

Rooch on 5AA saying that no one was interested in trading for Newts. He also said that he is rung the clubs there were supposedly interested in him and they denied they were going to pick him up in the draft (It's Rooch so grain of salt and all that). Kane also chimed in and said he thought we'd probably pick him up again if no one else did.
I'd be happy if we did. Newtons manager said no bridges were burned with the club when Newton decided to take his chances at the draft. Everyone understands he wants to play AFL footy and it would be hard to crack into our team.

Who knows, he might even be on a reduced contract with us if he fails to end up at another club.

I think we'd have been offering him chicken feed anyway. I'd be happy with this outcome, either him or panos back on our list is good depth for us.

Kane also chimed in and said he thought we'd probably pick him up again if no one else did.

So either Kane saying s**t he shouldn't be saying (possible, not likely) or it's already a done deal that we're picking him up again if no one else does.

So who's the next player this board will grossly over rate?
I don't see that as having happened from the vast majority of us, although it would be easy enough to find a few individual's posts that would appear to disprove that.
I think every player who played well in the Maggies and earnt a game or two in the Power in 2014 deserved a little bit of excitement. That's still novel to us, a moving feast of reserves players getting AFL chances based on merit.

Shame we did not jag a pick for him in the trade period.

Think he will be a good AFL footballer. Suffered from us having too many of the same types and him not suiting Kenny's game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back